Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why turn off the Image Stabilizer?

Why turn off the Image Stabilizer?

Peter Jason

I have an Olympus E5.

The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer
when using a tripod.

Why? Does the I.S. use camera resources that
detract from image quality?

Peter

M-M

In article <k8mgj0$35m$(E-Mail Removed)>, jgh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:28:03 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:
> > The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer when using a tripod.
> >
> > Why?

> It's looking for shakes from a human. On a tripod it'll be more stable
> without it going looking.

and it will shoot faster

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:

Rob

On 23/11/2012 11:28 AM, Peter Jason wrote:
> I have an Olympus E5.
>
> The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer
> when using a tripod.
>
> Why? Does the I.S. use camera resources that
> detract from image quality?
>
> Peter

Put your ear to the lens when the IS is switched on.

nick c

On 11/22/2012 4:28 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> I have an Olympus E5.
>
> The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer
> when using a tripod.
>
> Why? Does the I.S. use camera resources that
> detract from image quality?
>
> Peter

You have asked what appears to be a simple question. Hoping, I think, to
get a readily available simple answer but the answer is not so simple to
give. Rather than attempt to answer your question and possibly bungling
the explanation effort, I thought it best to offer a site where you can
read the answer and draw your own conclusions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_shake

Nick

PeterN

On 11/23/2012 1:05 AM, M-M wrote:
> In article <k8mgj0$35m$(E-Mail Removed)>, jgh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:28:03 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:
>>> The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer when using a tripod.
>>>
>>> Why?

>> It's looking for shakes from a human. On a tripod it'll be more stable
>> without it going looking.

> and it will shoot faster

Yep! When shooting birds I typically turn VR off. I am shooting at such
a high shutter speed that it is not really needed.

--
Peter

nick c

On 11/23/2012 9:28 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
> "nick c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k8ndb9$fb9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 11/22/2012 4:28 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
>>> I have an Olympus E5.
>>>
>>> The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer
>>> when using a tripod.
>>>
>>> Why? Does the I.S. use camera resources that
>>> detract from image quality?
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> You have asked what appears to be a simple question. Hoping, I think, to
>> get a readily available simple answer but the answer is not so simple to
>> give. Rather than attempt to answer your question and possibly bungling
>> the explanation effort, I thought it best to offer a site where you can
>> read the answer and draw your own conclusions.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_shake
>>
>> Nick

> I didn't see anything about when or why to turn it off in that article.
> Maybe I missed something.

Offhand, I read this portion in Wikipedia.

"Most manufacturers suggest that the IS feature of a lens be turned off
when the lens is mounted on a tripod as it can cause erratic results and
is generally unnecessary."

> As I understand it, the main reason to turn it off on a tripod is that image
> stabilization can move the lens elements or sensor during exposure, which is
> something you do not need or want during tripod stabilized exposures. So if
> the vibration of the focal plane shutter or mirror slap or anything else
> could cause unwanted "compensation" in the image stab system, you could
> induce some camera shake blur that is caused by the system rather than the
> actual camera shake. Leave well enough alone, and there should be no shakin
> goin on when on a tripod, so nothing to compensate and possibly make things
> worse.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Some time ago, I read the following information which I will endeavor to
express in my words.

When tripod mounted, lenses that are sensitively active (vertical &
horizontal) in stabilization mode are in somewhat of a free floating
condition. Therefore, when tripod mounted, the sensitivity of the
stabilization design may detect vibrations emanating from any source and
when active, light passing through the lens may be shifted in such
manner as to create a degrading effect to bokeh although the centered
image itself may appear to be unaffected.

Nick

otter

On Nov 22, 6:29*pm, Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have an Olympus E5.
>
> The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer
> when using a tripod.
>
> Why? *Does the I.S. use camera resources that
> detract from image quality?
>
> Peter

A few other points, in addition to what others have said:
- Some lenses are able to detect that they are on a tripod (i guess by
lack of shake) and don't need to have IS turned off. This may not
apply to the Olympus E5, but it does to some Canon IS lenses, at
least.
- If you have a mediocre tripod, or if it is windy to the point that
your lens vibrates despite being on a tripod, you may be better off
leaving IS on.
- If your lens is on a good tripod and isn't vibrating, and the lens
was not designed to automatically detect this, it may hunt for
movement, which could cause poorer results than if IS were switched
off. This is where the advice comes from to switch off IS while on a
tripod. But as I mentioned above, it is not always necessary or even
advisable.

PeterN

On 11/24/2012 12:47 AM, otter wrote:
> On Nov 22, 6:29 pm, Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have an Olympus E5.
>>
>> The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer
>> when using a tripod.
>>
>> Why? Does the I.S. use camera resources that
>> detract from image quality?
>>
>> Peter

> A few other points, in addition to what others have said:
> - Some lenses are able to detect that they are on a tripod (i guess by
> lack of shake) and don't need to have IS turned off. This may not
> apply to the Olympus E5, but it does to some Canon IS lenses, at
> least.
> - If you have a mediocre tripod, or if it is windy to the point that
> your lens vibrates despite being on a tripod, you may be better off
> leaving IS on.
> - If your lens is on a good tripod and isn't vibrating, and the lens
> was not designed to automatically detect this, it may hunt for
> movement, which could cause poorer results than if IS were switched
> off. This is where the advice comes from to switch off IS while on a
> tripod. But as I mentioned above, it is not always necessary or even
> advisable.

I'm sure our engineer friends here will correct me but, I think
everything has some degree of oscillation. The only issue is whether the
oscillations are sufficient to move the lens outside the circle of
confusion.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 11/24/2012 4:43 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:17:42 -0500, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> A few other points, in addition to what others have said:
>>> - Some lenses are able to detect that they are on a tripod (i guess by
>>> lack of shake) and don't need to have IS turned off. This may not
>>> apply to the Olympus E5, but it does to some Canon IS lenses, at
>>> least.
>>> - If you have a mediocre tripod, or if it is windy to the point that
>>> your lens vibrates despite being on a tripod, you may be better off
>>> leaving IS on.
>>> - If your lens is on a good tripod and isn't vibrating, and the lens
>>> was not designed to automatically detect this, it may hunt for
>>> movement, which could cause poorer results than if IS were switched
>>> off. This is where the advice comes from to switch off IS while on a
>>> tripod. But as I mentioned above, it is not always necessary or even
>>> advisable.
>>>

>> I'm sure our engineer friends here will correct me but, I think
>> everything has some degree of oscillation. The only issue is whether the
>> oscillations are sufficient to move the lens outside the circle of
>> confusion.

> The point is that the IS actually moves the circle of confusion.

I understand that. But, it is my understanding that you cannot eliminate
oscillation. It is likely that VR, and/or IS do in fact move the circle
of confusion, hopefully in synch with the oscillations.

--
Peter

Peter Jason

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 19:13:40 -0500, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11/24/2012 4:43 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:17:42 -0500, PeterN
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I'm sure our engineer friends here will correct me but, I think
>>> everything has some degree of oscillation. The only issue is whether the
>>> oscillations are sufficient to move the lens outside the circle of
>>> confusion.

>> The point is that the IS actually moves the circle of confusion.
>>

>I understand that. But, it is my understanding that you cannot eliminate
>oscillation. It is likely that VR, and/or IS do in fact move the circle
>of confusion, hopefully in synch with the oscillations.

Thanks for the replies. I'm doing some tripod
tests with a 600mm (4/3) lens and will report
back.