Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > C for linux ??

C for linux ??

SL@maxis

Strange.

Nobody talks about c-programming for Linux ?

Lars Enderin

2012-11-22 07:19, SL@maxis skrev:

> Strange.
>
> Nobody talks about c-programming for Linux ?

Wrong group.

--
Lars Enderin

SL@maxis

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 15:27:40 +0800, Lars Enderin <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Wrong group.

I mean there is no group on C/C++ programming for Linux ??

Arne Vajhj

On 11/22/2012 8:39 AM, SL@maxis wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 15:27:40 +0800, Lars Enderin
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Wrong group.

> I mean there is no group on C/C++ programming for Linux ??

Maybe not.

But there are both C, C++ and Linux groups.

Arne

Ben

SL@maxis skrev 2012-11-22 07:19:

> Strange.
>
> Nobody talks about c-programming for Linux ?

Have a look at comp.unix.programmer, Lot of C in that group!

Roedy Green

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:19:01 +0800, "SL@maxis" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>Nobody talks about c-programming for Linux ?

Not really. This is the Java newsgroup.

Arne Vajhøj

On 11/22/2012 4:12 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:00:17 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>
>> On 11/22/2012 8:39 AM, SL@maxis wrote:

>>> I mean there is no group on C/C++ programming for Linux ??

>> Maybe not.
>>
>> But there are both C, C++ and Linux groups.
>>

> What's there to talk about?
>
> Anybody claiming a good working knowledge of Linux is probably already a
> decent C programmer

Not necessarily today.

And even decent programmers may have a few questions.

> and almost anything Linux-specific you'd need to know
> is covered in remarkably few books:
>
> - "UNIX Systems Programming for SVR4" (the O'reilly "Lion" book) is still
> directly applicable to modern Linuxes.
>
> - section 2 of the man pages (of course)
>
> - "Lex & Yacc" (O'Reilly) - equally good for Flex and Bison
>
> - "Pthreads Programming" (O'Reilly)
>

> and, more generally
>
> - "The Practice of Programming" - Kernighan & Pike
>
> - "Algorithms" - Sedgewick
>
> The latter two are useful no matter what language you're writing in.
> Kernighan & Pike is excellent for advice on writing well-structured
> programs that are easy to maintain and debug - and there's even a bit of
> Java in it.
>
> "Algorithms" is written in Pascal, but its good, clear well-explained
> code and very easy to transcribe into other languages. It was recommended
> to me by one of the best programmers I know and I've certainly found it
> useful. It may not be a comprehensive as Knuth, but it occupies a lot
> less shelf space and is rather cheaper, and I've found it more generally
> useful than Wirth's "Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs".
>
> I assume that every C programmer has a copy of Kernighan & Richie's "The
> C programming language".

Looks like good books.

But there are also other good books.

Stevens' book on Unix programming.

For C++ "Accelerated c++" and the two "Effective C++" books.

Arne

SL@maxis

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 05:12:52 +0800, Martin Gregorie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What's there to talk about?
> I assume that every C programmer has a copy of Kernighan & Richie's "The
> C programming language".

Thanks. I wonder I have the time to "gather so much" like you.

SL@maxis

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 23:09:16 +0800, Ben <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Have a look at comp.unix.programmer, Lot of C in that group!

Thanks. I was a bit let down while looking high and low for "C/C++, linux".

Arne Vajhøj

On 11/24/2012 11:40 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 20:37:31 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> For C++ "Accelerated c++" and the two "Effective C++" books.
>>

> I don't write C++. I have a copy of Stroustoup but found it much harder
> to read than K&R.

C++ is a lot more complex than C.

No surprise that a C++ book is harder to read than a C book.

> I tried to get into C++ but (a) didn't like it a lot and

Not everyone does.

> (b) found *huge*
> binary bloat and rubbish performance.

C++ programs tend to pull in a few MB of code. About 1 cent
wort of RAM today.

C++ compilers today should optimize fine in general. But obviously
no guarantees.

> Besides, almost every time I've
> needed to read a C++ program I've discovered it to be essentially ANSI C
> with // comments and not an object in sight.

// comments and declarations in the middle of the code.

I have seen that too.

Note that both are actually part of C99.

Arne