Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google what A stuff up.

Reply
Thread Tools

Google what A stuff up.

 
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-26-2012

"Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:48:09 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> I keep getting Google New Zealand and don't
>> seem able to change it to Google.com

>
>
> Use this link - add it to your bookmarks/favorites
>
> http://www.google.com/ncr
>
>

Thank you, that worked.

Geopelia


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2012
In article <k8vku1$ajl$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
>in message news:k8u88a$q10$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Crash McBash
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (snip)
>>>So the removal of the sidebar was deliberate and as others have said
>>>there are alternatives which will also show up on any search.

>>
>> As much as I hate to agree with Roger, I have to do so here about google's
>> 'cleaned up' look. I complained to them when they did it.
>> At the same time, they also broke what was a simple and easy to understand
>> advanced search page by introducing so much extra rubbish it now goes off
>> the bottom of the page.
>>
>> New <> better ... for details, observe any advertising.


>I've got the opposite problem. I keep getting Google New Zealand and don't
>seem able to change it to Google.com


Yes, curse them ... I see they've broken that again too <sigh>.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2012
In article <k90ljh$r2g$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:48:09 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> I keep getting Google New Zealand and don't
>>> seem able to change it to Google.com

>>
>>
>> Use this link - add it to your bookmarks/favorites
>>
>> http://www.google.com/ncr
>>
>>

>Thank you, that worked.


Similarly here. Thanks also from me.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2012
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:48:09 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
>in message news:k8u88a$q10$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Crash McBash
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (snip)
>>>So the removal of the sidebar was deliberate and as others have said
>>>there are alternatives which will also show up on any search.

>>
>> As much as I hate to agree with Roger, I have to do so here about google's
>> 'cleaned up' look. I complained to them when they did it.
>> At the same time, they also broke what was a simple and easy to understand
>> advanced search page by introducing so much extra rubbish it now goes off
>> the bottom of the page.
>>
>> New <> better ... for details, observe any advertising.
>>
>>

>
>I've got the opposite problem. I keep getting Google New Zealand and don't
>seem able to change it to Google.com
>
>Geopelia
>



That is the way its ment to work, you are in NZ not the US..
 
Reply With Quote
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2012

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:48:09 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
>>in message news:k8u88a$q10$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Crash McBash
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> (snip)
>>>>So the removal of the sidebar was deliberate and as others have said
>>>>there are alternatives which will also show up on any search.
>>>
>>> As much as I hate to agree with Roger, I have to do so here about
>>> google's
>>> 'cleaned up' look. I complained to them when they did it.
>>> At the same time, they also broke what was a simple and easy to
>>> understand
>>> advanced search page by introducing so much extra rubbish it now goes
>>> off
>>> the bottom of the page.
>>>
>>> New <> better ... for details, observe any advertising.
>>>
>>>

>>
>>I've got the opposite problem. I keep getting Google New Zealand and don't
>>seem able to change it to Google.com
>>
>>Geopelia
>>

>
>
> That is the way its ment to work, you are in NZ not the US..


If I want something here I just put New Zealand in the search, or the name
of the town.
I've got back to Google.com now.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2012
In article <k9280l$ejs$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
says...
>
> "Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:48:09 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>
> >>"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
> >>in message news:k8u88a$q10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Crash McBash
> >>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>> (snip)
> >>>>So the removal of the sidebar was deliberate and as others have said
> >>>>there are alternatives which will also show up on any search.
> >>>
> >>> As much as I hate to agree with Roger, I have to do so here about
> >>> google's
> >>> 'cleaned up' look. I complained to them when they did it.
> >>> At the same time, they also broke what was a simple and easy to
> >>> understand
> >>> advanced search page by introducing so much extra rubbish it now goes
> >>> off
> >>> the bottom of the page.
> >>>
> >>> New <> better ... for details, observe any advertising.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>I've got the opposite problem. I keep getting Google New Zealand and don't
> >>seem able to change it to Google.com
> >>
> >>Geopelia
> >>

> >
> >
> > That is the way its ment to work, you are in NZ not the US..

>
> If I want something here I just put New Zealand in the search, or the name
> of the town.
> I've got back to Google.com now.


A better way, if you want a .nz domain to be returned (only), then you'd
enter the search term like this...

<your search term> site:.nz

the "site:.nz" restricts the results to just sites with a .nz (ie New
Zealand sites).

So you could further say, restrict results to NZ Government docs by
searching:
<your search term> site:.govt.nz

I use Bing as my prefered search engine now - I find it gives faster and
more relevant results. For most stuff anyway. I only very occasionally
use Google now.

The site:<domain restriction> works in most search engines, including
Bing.

--
Duncan.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2012

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In article <k9280l$ejs$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
> says...
>>
>> "Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:48:09 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >>
>> >>"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) >
>> >>wrote
>> >>in message news:k8u88a$q10$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Crash McBash
>> >>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >>> (snip)
>> >>>>So the removal of the sidebar was deliberate and as others have said
>> >>>>there are alternatives which will also show up on any search.
>> >>>
>> >>> As much as I hate to agree with Roger, I have to do so here about
>> >>> google's
>> >>> 'cleaned up' look. I complained to them when they did it.
>> >>> At the same time, they also broke what was a simple and easy to
>> >>> understand
>> >>> advanced search page by introducing so much extra rubbish it now goes
>> >>> off
>> >>> the bottom of the page.
>> >>>
>> >>> New <> better ... for details, observe any advertising.
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>
>> >>I've got the opposite problem. I keep getting Google New Zealand and
>> >>don't
>> >>seem able to change it to Google.com
>> >>
>> >>Geopelia
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>> > That is the way its ment to work, you are in NZ not the US..

>>
>> If I want something here I just put New Zealand in the search, or the
>> name
>> of the town.
>> I've got back to Google.com now.

>
> A better way, if you want a .nz domain to be returned (only), then you'd
> enter the search term like this...
>
> <your search term> site:.nz
>
> the "site:.nz" restricts the results to just sites with a .nz (ie New
> Zealand sites).
>
> So you could further say, restrict results to NZ Government docs by
> searching:
> <your search term> site:.govt.nz
>
> I use Bing as my prefered search engine now - I find it gives faster and
> more relevant results. For most stuff anyway. I only very occasionally
> use Google now.
>
> The site:<domain restriction> works in most search engines, including
> Bing.
>


Thank you, that will be useful.

I haven't heard of Bing.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2012
In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>
>A better way, if you want a .nz domain to be returned (only), then you'd
>enter the search term like this...
><your search term> site:.nz
>the "site:.nz" restricts the results to just sites with a .nz (ie New
>Zealand sites).


I used to use the advanced search page by default (before they complicated
it without making it more useful ), then .nz in the 'site or domain' box
did the same thing with less typing.


>So you could further say, restrict results to NZ Government docs by
>searching:
><your search term> site:.govt.nz
>I use Bing as my prefered search engine now - I find it gives faster and
>more relevant results. For most stuff anyway. I only very occasionally
>use Google now.


I'm a duck man ... https://duckduckgo.com/. They have a great policy ...
where google needs to be I reckon.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2012
In article <k937pt$kem$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>I haven't heard of Bing.


Reccomend this for a quick overview ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_engine

There are more out there than you might think (certainly than I thought
there were ).


 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2012
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 00:31:42 GMT,
(E-Mail Removed) (Bruce Sinclair)
wrote:

>In article <k937pt$kem$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(snip)
>
>>I haven't heard of Bing.

>
>Reccomend this for a quick overview ...
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_engine
>
>There are more out there than you might think (certainly than I thought
>there were ).
>




Yes Copernic Agent give you stacks of search engines all heaped
together.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I add "Images" Google to the Google toolbar in Firefox? JW Firefox 2 04-24-2006 06:17 PM
bridging Google Earth and Google maps in script cybarber@gmail.com Java 2 11-28-2005 02:51 PM
FAQ - references to Google/Google Groups Andrew Thompson Java 0 06-20-2005 12:26 PM
I am posting on three different google newsgroups, but can subscribe to the google archives, how do I do that? LadyLollipop Computer Support 4 03-11-2005 06:48 AM
Firefox google search bar searches google.de Abso Firefox 3 01-06-2005 10:55 PM



Advertisments