Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Camera JPEG engines

Re: Camera JPEG engines

David Taylor

On 20/11/2012 20:45, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
[]
> No image is ever completely right in the camera. Not to
> exhibition-print level. The negative / slide / RAW file is the score,
> the print is the performance (Ansel Adams, adapted to include more
> capture media).

Perhaps not, but if I don't "do" exhibitions or "prints" are not the end
result, then different criteria can apply.

The in-camera image may then be quite good enough (exposure wise) and
might only need cropping (or rotation) if the taking aspect ratio wasn't
suited to the image, or just a portion of the image is needed.

[Enjoy the music, not study the score or critique the performance.]
--
Cheers,
David

Anthony Polson

Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 21/11/2012 10:05 AM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> Take lots of shots and fluke a keeper.

>> Aah! The search for the magnificent miracle.
>>
>> No wonder you fill up those cards with JPEGs.
>>

>It was not me to whom I was referring.

But you're the guy who shoots RAW+JPEG, admits to doing very little in
the way of deleting images and regularly needs to buy additional
terabytes of hard disk space to store them all.

How many thousands of "decisive moments" are there?

Anthony Polson

David Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 20/11/2012 20:43, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>> nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>[]
>>> many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
>>> jacket pocket.

>> Netbooks, maybe, but those aren't useful for photo work.

>[]
>> I can't imagine going on a photo trip without a laptop myself. I also
>> carry an external drive to back up the photos two (leaving me just two
>> copies, one on the laptop and one on the external; which always go in
>> different bags).

>Netbooks are fine both for a quick review and for storage, but I agree
>that they are less suited to CPU-intensive processes.

It isn't just the CPU. The displays tend to be small and not
especially bright and tend to have a limited range of angles at which
they can be viewed. They are all but useless for editing.

PeterN

On 11/21/2012 12:20 AM, nospam wrote:

>>> what in the world does that have to do with anything? and what hard
>>> drives have serial ports? do you just make this **** up?
>>>
>>> any other stupid comments?

>> I was simply responding to your asinine statement, that old hard drives
>> are as fast as the newer ones.

> i never said any such thing. are you trying to outdo tony in twisting
> and fabricating things, or is it that you can't read very well?

Here is your comment, in full and in context:

"In article <k8fmbk$q4k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
> take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
> too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
> flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
> communications.

you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
when it was new. many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
jacket pocket. battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
car. there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
laptops."

>> You are free to go back and read it.

> why don't you do that before you say more stupid things.

See above.

BTW what does the "S" in "USB" stand for.

--
Peter
I prefer being referred to as making "stupid" comments, than making

PeterN

On 11/21/2012 4:50 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:18:07 -0800, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>> By that time I've checked in my main baggage. I only have carry-on
>>> luggage.

>> are you saying you want to put a laptop in checked bags? that's *not*
>> wise. laptops go in carry-on, as does anything else of value.

> It may or may not be wise, but it's what I want to do. If I could do
> that it would be a case of out of sight - out of mind until I got to
> my destination. The lasat thing I want to do is carry a festoon of
> miscellanea around my neck for hours on end.
>>
>> checked bags can get lost, or worse, stuff can be stolen from them.
>> they are also tossed around and a laptop really isn't suited to that
>> type of treatment. the airlines say not to put anything valuable in
>> there and don't cover much if you do.

> So what. That's just their lawyers cop-out

It is also common sense.

--
Peter

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> By that time I've checked in my main baggage. I only have carry-on
> >> luggage.

> >are you saying you want to put a laptop in checked bags? that's *not*
> >wise. laptops go in carry-on, as does anything else of value.

> It may or may not be wise, but it's what I want to do.

not only is it not wise, it's downright stupid.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/09/business/09road.html?_r=0>
But on a recent flight from Albuquerque through Phoenix to Seattle,
Ms. Kemper casually slipped her Apple iPod into a zip pocket in a
suitcase she was checking. When she got to Seattle, the iPod was
gone. Inside her suitcase was one of those notes from the
Transportation Security Administration, saying that a T.S.A.
inspector had opened the bag.

<http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/04...ctor-accused-o
f-stealing.html>
A Transportation Security Administration baggage inspector at
Dallas/Fort Worth Airport has been indicted in the theft of Apple
iPads from luggage over eight months.

<http://www.securoseal.com/main.php?pg=news&news_id=359&s=324>
They both say there are organized rings of thieves, who identify
valuables in your checked luggage by looking at the TSA x-ray
screens, then communicate with baggage handlers by text or cell
phone, telling them exactly what to look for.

> If I could do
> that it would be a case of out of sight - out of mind until I got to
> my destination. The lasat thing I want to do is carry a festoon of
> miscellanea around my neck for hours on end.

nobody said you had to carry a festoon of miscellanea around your neck
and who carries a laptop around their neck anyway?

> >checked bags can get lost, or worse, stuff can be stolen from them.
> >they are also tossed around and a laptop really isn't suited to that
> >type of treatment. the airlines say not to put anything valuable in
> >there and don't cover much if you do.

> So what. That's just their lawyers cop-out

it's reality.

if your laptop or other valuables are stolen from checked luggage, you
won't get much compensation. the airline will say 'you shouldn't have
done that' and give you small compensation, likely based on weight of
the bag, not the value of the contents.

nospam

In article <50acff2d$0$10809$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I was simply responding to your asinine statement, that old hard drives
> >> are as fast as the newer ones.

> > i never said any such thing. are you trying to outdo tony in twisting
> > and fabricating things, or is it that you can't read very well?

> Here is your comment, in full and in context:
>
> "In article <k8fmbk$q4k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
> > take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
> > too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
> > flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
> > communications.

> you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
> when it was new. many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
> jacket pocket. battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
> depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
> car. there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
> laptops."

reading is not your strong suit, is it?

where does that say that old hard drives are as fast as newer ones? oh
yea, it doesn't!

it says that his old 60 gig drive is the same speed then as it is now,
which it is.

> >> You are free to go back and read it.

> > why don't you do that before you say more stupid things.

> See above.
>
> BTW what does the "S" in "USB" stand for.

another stupid comment.

just because something is based on a serial protocol does not make it
an 'old serial port' (your words).

if you can't tell the difference between rs-232, rs-422, usb, firewire,
sata, thunderbolt and ethernet (all serial protocols), then you have
far bigger problems.

David Taylor

On 21/11/2012 11:28, Anthony Polson wrote:
> David Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[]
>> Netbooks are fine both for a quick review and for storage, but I agree
>> that they are less suited to CPU-intensive processes.

> It isn't just the CPU. The displays tend to be small and not
> especially bright and tend to have a limited range of angles at which
> they can be viewed. They are all but useless for editing.

Which is part of the reason why I said "quick review", nothing about
editing.

In any case, better to edit back at home on your really big, colour
calibrated display, in the appropriate lighting environment and
comfortable surroundings.
--
Cheers,
David

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alfred
Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Besides I don't trust flash memory for backup.

it's more reliable than a hard drive, and you trust it in the camera to
take the photo in the first place.

PeterN

On 11/21/2012 12:08 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> i never said any such thing. are you trying to outdo tony in twisting
>>> and fabricating things, or is it that you can't read very well?

>> Here is your comment, in full and in context:
>>
>> "In article <k8fmbk$q4k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
>> > take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
>> > too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
>> > flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
>> > communications.

>> you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
>> when it was new. many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
>> jacket pocket. battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
>> depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
>> car. there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
>> laptops."
>>

> reading is not your strong suit, is it?
>
> where does that say that old hard drives are as fast as newer ones? oh
> yea, it doesn't!
>
> it says that his old 60 gig drive is the same speed then as it is now,
> which it is.

>>> why don't you do that before you say more stupid things.

>> See above.
>>
>> BTW what does the "S" in "USB" stand for.

> another stupid comment.
>
> just because something is based on a serial protocol does not make it
> an 'old serial port' (your words).
>
> if you can't tell the difference between rs-232, rs-422, usb, firewire,
> sata, thunderbolt and ethernet (all serial protocols), then you have
> far bigger problems.

Logic isn't something you understand. Go Wallow in your ignorance.

Bye. EOD from me. Take your last shot , if you will.

--
Peter