Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Camera JPEG engines

Re: Camera JPEG engines

tony cooper

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 22:56:46 -0500, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11/20/2012 9:31 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>> nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> are you saying you want to put a laptop in checked bags? that's *not*
>>> wise. laptops go in carry-on, as does anything else of value.
>>>
>>> checked bags can get lost, or worse, stuff can be stolen from them.
>>> they are also tossed around and a laptop really isn't suited to that
>>> type of treatment. the airlines say not to put anything valuable in
>>> there and don't cover much if you do.

>> Yeah, and then make carry-on limits that sometimes make it impossible
>> for me to follow both sets of rules (the camera gear and computer gear
>> I'm taking with me exceeds carry-on limits).
>>

>Some members of my CC wear a photo vest and stuff a lot of gear into its
>pockets. A vest is considered clothing, not luggage. One of my friends
>convinced an airline that if his wife's pocket book didn't count as a
>carry on bag, one of his bags was also a pocket book, which didn't count
>as luggage. His argument was not so successful on the return trip.

Allegiant Airlines restricts free carry-on to one personal item, but
exempts certain items like medical equipment, mobility aids, and a few
other things including a diaper bag. There is nothing in Allegiant's
rules that says a baby must accompany the diaper bag. I wonder if you
could have two free personal items, including a diaper bag, if you
travel without a baby.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Allegiant Airlines restricts free carry-on to one personal item, but
> exempts certain items like medical equipment, mobility aids, and a few
> other things including a diaper bag. There is nothing in Allegiant's
> rules that says a baby must accompany the diaper bag. I wonder if you
> could have two free personal items, including a diaper bag, if you
> travel without a baby.

too bad you can't afford the good airlines.

allegiant is a customer-hostile airline that charges extra for pretty
much everything, including choosing your seats and ordinary beverages,
such as juice or soda (not booze), and i think even water.

<http://www.vegasinc.com/news/2012/ap...carry--fee-35-
flight-segment/>
Las Vegas-based Allegiant Air will impose a $35 fee per flight
segment on passengers taking carry-on luggage stowed in overhead bins
beginning with Wednesday bookings, the airline confirmed Monday.

<http://www.gadling.com/2008/01/07/wh...eed-two-hours-
of-my-life/>
Allegiant, like most other budget airlines, charges extra for
virtually everything beyond the ticket price, including (for two
passengers) a $44 "seat selection fee," and a $17 "convenience fee"
for booking online.

PeterN

On 11/20/2012 11:05 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article <50ac4dd7$0$10753$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Airport security has a time consuming protocol if your laptop doesn't
>> turn on.

> it's been a *long* time since they did that. you don't fly much, do you?
>
> last time i saw them checking if a laptop turns on was over a decade
> ago, and even if they decided to start doing that again (which they
> aren't about to), why wouldn't your laptop turn on? do you travel with
> a laptop that has a dead battery???
>
> laptops go into a bin and then through the x-ray and that's all the
> attention it gets unless there's something unusual, in which case it
> probably will just get an etd swab which takes maybe a minute extra.

I bow to the statements of an expert in aviation security.

>> BTW I didn't realize that the old serial ports were just as fast as
>> firewire, USB2 and USB3. Thanks for clearing that up.

> what in the world does that have to do with anything? and what hard
> drives have serial ports? do you just make this **** up?
>
> any other stupid comments?

I was simply responding to your asinine statement, that old hard drives
are as fast as the newer ones. You are free to go back and read it.

--
Peter

PeterN

It Depends.

--
Peter

nospam

In article <50ac5cff$0$10761$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> BTW I didn't realize that the old serial ports were just as fast as
> >> firewire, USB2 and USB3. Thanks for clearing that up.

> > what in the world does that have to do with anything? and what hard
> > drives have serial ports? do you just make this **** up?
> >
> > any other stupid comments?

> I was simply responding to your asinine statement, that old hard drives
> are as fast as the newer ones.

i never said any such thing. are you trying to outdo tony in twisting
and fabricating things, or is it that you can't read very well?

> You are free to go back and read it.

why don't you do that before you say more stupid things.

tony cooper

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 20:26:22 -0800, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Allegiant Airlines restricts free carry-on to one personal item, but
>> exempts certain items like medical equipment, mobility aids, and a few
>> other things including a diaper bag. There is nothing in Allegiant's
>> rules that says a baby must accompany the diaper bag. I wonder if you
>> could have two free personal items, including a diaper bag, if you
>> travel without a baby.

>too bad you can't afford the good airlines.

Allegiant flies direct from Sanford FL to Rockford IL. My wife was
flying back to her home town - Rockford - for a sister's funeral.
There are no direct flights to Rockford out of Orlando.

The Sanford airport is a short and convenient drive from our house.
The Orlando airport is almost an hour's longer drive from my house due
to distance and traffic. It takes almost as long to get from the
parking garage at ORL to the check-in counter at ORL as it does for me
to drive from home to SFB. Check-in and bag retrieval is faster at
Sanford than at Orlando.

>allegiant is a customer-hostile airline that charges extra for pretty
>much everything, including choosing your seats and ordinary beverages,
>such as juice or soda (not booze), and i think even water.
>
><http://www.vegasinc.com/news/2012/ap...carry--fee-35-
>flight-segment/>
> Las Vegas-based Allegiant Air will impose a $35 fee per flight
> segment on passengers taking carry-on luggage stowed in overhead bins
> beginning with Wednesday bookings, the airline confirmed Monday.
>
><http://www.gadling.com/2008/01/07/wh...eed-two-hours-
>of-my-life/>
> Allegiant, like most other budget airlines, charges extra for
> virtually everything beyond the ticket price, including (for two
> passengers) a $44 "seat selection fee," and a $17 "convenience fee"
> for booking online.

I may have paid extra, but it was more convenient for us for my wife
to fly Allegiant. I booked at the airport a few days earlier as it
wasn't out of my way to do so, and didn't reserve a seat. Seating was
no problem. She carried on a cloth shopping bag containing her purse,
some (real) books, and whatever else it is that women feel necessary
to have with them. No charge for that. She checked one bag.

She was quite satisfied with Allegiant, and would fly them again.
There were no alleged market survey people aboard to bother her with
questions about laptop brand preference.

You do bring up some idiotic points.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:47:22 -0500, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11/20/2012 11:05 PM, nospam wrote:
>> In article <50ac4dd7$0$10753$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Airport security has a time consuming protocol if your laptop doesn't
>>> turn on.

>> it's been a *long* time since they did that. you don't fly much, do you?
>>
>> last time i saw them checking if a laptop turns on was over a decade
>> ago, and even if they decided to start doing that again (which they
>> aren't about to), why wouldn't your laptop turn on? do you travel with
>> a laptop that has a dead battery???
>>
>> laptops go into a bin and then through the x-ray and that's all the
>> attention it gets unless there's something unusual, in which case it
>> probably will just get an etd swab which takes maybe a minute extra.

>I bow to the statements of an expert in aviation security.

As well as an expert in department store security and how not to come
to their attention when wearing his booster pocket jacket.

--

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As well as an expert in department store security and how not to come
> to their attention when wearing his booster pocket jacket.

further displaying your extreme ignorance.

David Taylor

On 20/11/2012 20:43, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

[]
>> many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
>> jacket pocket.

> Netbooks, maybe, but those aren't useful for photo work.

[]
> I can't imagine going on a photo trip without a laptop myself. I also
> carry an external drive to back up the photos two (leaving me just two
> copies, one on the laptop and one on the external; which always go in
> different bags).

Netbooks are fine both for a quick review and for storage, but I agree
that they are less suited to CPU-intensive processes.

I would normally take my netbook on an extended trip (as the laptop is
now a little big for the limited cabin baggage allowance we sometimes
have), but on the last 5-day trip I took only the iPad. That still left
me with two copies of the images - one on the camera SD cards (I never
re-use cards whilst away) and one on the iPad. Actually, with its 2048
x 1536 3 Mpix display, the iPad makes a rather good review device as
well as providing storage.
--
Cheers,
David

David Taylor

On 21/11/2012 03:30, nospam wrote:
[]
> plus, taking a laptop onboard means you can use it on the plane during
> the flight, which is very likely to have wifi.

Not the case on all the flights I have taken recently! No Wi-Fi here,
(yet)!
--
Cheers,
David