Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Camera JPEG engines

Re: Camera JPEG engines

David Dyer-Bennet

David Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 20/11/2012 07:02, Alfred Molon wrote:
>> In article <k8f3p2$3ml$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob says...
>>> No but I don't get to go places all the time so I take quite a few
>>> images when I travel - 7000 images last time

>> It must take forever to process all these images.

> So you try and get them right in the camera, rather than relying on
> having to post-process!

No image is ever completely right in the camera. Not to
exhibition-print level. The negative / slide / RAW file is the score,
the print is the performance (Ansel Adams, adapted to include more
capture media).
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Dyer-Bennet
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
> >> take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
> >> too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
> >> flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
> >> communications.

> > you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
> > when it was new.

> But the quantity to be transferred today is larger, so the speed matters
> more.

it's going to take longer to transfer a larger file than a smaller file
no matter how fast the medium is.

> > many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
> > jacket pocket.

> Netbooks, maybe, but those aren't useful for photo work.

ultrabooks, which are very useful for photo work.

> > battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
> > depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
> > car.

> I've never achieved that level of battery life in any laptop I've bought
> or even looked at on paper. I think you're confusing "netbooks" with
> laptops, again.

nope. the macbook air gets 5-7 hours, depending on if it's the 11" or
13". macbook pros can do 7-10 hours, depending on which one, but the
15" and certainly the 17" wont fit in a jacket quite as easily as an
air.

<http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html>
<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...macbook-pro.ht
ml>

> I do of course plug my laptop in a lot; I don't find using it on battery
> to be that important.

same here.

> > there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
> > laptops.

> It's an extra step each time, but no big deal.

you mean taking it out of the bag? that's not always required, but when
it is, it's not a big deal.

> I can't imagine going on a photo trip without a laptop myself. I also
> carry an external drive to back up the photos two (leaving me just two
> copies, one on the laptop and one on the external; which always go in
> different bags).

depends on the length of the trip. for a day or two, i don't bother
with a laptop.

tony cooper

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:27:30 -0800, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> >you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
>> >when it was new. many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
>> >jacket pocket. battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
>> >depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
>> >car. there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
>> >laptops.

>> A laptop that fits in a jacket pocket? Paul Bunyan's jacket, perhaps.

>ultrabooks easily fit into many jacket pockets. a 13" and even a 15"
>laptop can fit into some jacket pockets but that's less common.
>
>looks like you need to go clothes shopping.

I am not a professional shoplifter as you must be to be able to fit a
laptop into a jacket pocket. My jackets do not have "booster pockets"
into which a laptop, whole ham, six pack of beer, or three-pack of tee
shirts can be concealed.

You needn't worry about airport security, but store security people
will be watching.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> It's an extra step each time, but no big deal.

> >you mean taking it out of the bag? that's not always required, but when
> >it is, it's not a big deal.

> A laptop is a PITA.
>
> If I could I would leave it in my main bag where it would go straight
> through without any further involvement on my part. As it is, I have
> to carry it on for a security check and, at the best, it is a further
> complication to my hand baggage.

some places let you leave a laptop in the bag, including the usa for
precheck. otherwise, it takes 10-15 seconds to remove it and put in a
bin. it's not a big deal. removing shoes is more of a pain than dealing
with a laptop.

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> A laptop that fits in a jacket pocket? Paul Bunyan's jacket, perhaps.

> >ultrabooks easily fit into many jacket pockets. a 13" and even a 15"
> >laptop can fit into some jacket pockets but that's less common.
> >
> >looks like you need to go clothes shopping.

> I am not a professional shoplifter as you must be to be able to fit a
> laptop into a jacket pocket. My jackets do not have "booster pockets"
> into which a laptop, whole ham, six pack of beer, or three-pack of tee
> shirts can be concealed.
>
> You needn't worry about airport security, but store security people
> will be watching.

trying to be funny? it's not working. or is it just your usual ad
hominem attack? yep, that's what it is.

just because a jacket has large pockets does not mean it's used for
shoplifting. such a jacket is *very* useful for traveling, however.

apparently your lack of knowledge extends to clothing.

Rob

On 21/11/2012 8:17 AM, Frank S wrote:

> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k8fs8h$qmm$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> So you try and get them right in the camera, rather than relying on
>>> having to post-process!

>> Yes - getting them right in the first place to eliminates post
>> processing. Taking heaps of happy snaps and scabbing a shot is far
>> from ideal.
>>
>> Having an understanding of what you are doing. Evaluating the scene
>> and thinking what will happen. Difficult situations like wind, extreme
>> contrast, sports etc - you should know how to maximise to get the shot.
>>
>> Understand your camera.
>>

> Yes - I would like to understand "scabbing" in this context.

Take lots of shots and fluke a keeper.

Rob

On 21/11/2012 1:51 AM, nospam wrote:
> In article <k8fmbk$q4k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
>> take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
>> too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
>> flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
>> communications.

> you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
> when it was new.

That's true but it equals 2 SD cards and it was slow to download images
took ages.

many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
> jacket pocket. battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
> depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
> car.there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
> laptops.

Laptops are just a hassle. Airports 'were' full on at one stage would
have liked it checked in but for accidental damage. They newer had big
enough HDD's.

Not sure if I like this electronic age

tony cooper

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:17:39 -0800, "Frank S" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:k8fs8h$qmm$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> So you try and get them right in the camera, rather than relying on
>>> having to post-process!

>> Yes - getting them right in the first place to eliminates post
>> processing. Taking heaps of happy snaps and scabbing a shot is far
>> from ideal.
>>
>> Having an understanding of what you are doing. Evaluating the scene
>> and thinking what will happen. Difficult situations like wind, extreme
>> contrast, sports etc - you should know how to maximise to get the
>> shot.
>>
>> Understand your camera.
>>

>Yes - I would like to understand "scabbing" in this context.

I took for a mondegreen of "scrabbling".
--

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> A laptop is a PITA.
> >>
> >> If I could I would leave it in my main bag where it would go straight
> >> through without any further involvement on my part. As it is, I have
> >> to carry it on for a security check and, at the best, it is a further
> >> complication to my hand baggage.

> >some places let you leave a laptop in the bag, including the usa for
> >precheck. otherwise, it takes 10-15 seconds to remove it and put in a
> >bin.

> By that time I've checked in my main baggage. I only have carry-on
> luggage.

are you saying you want to put a laptop in checked bags? that's *not*
wise. laptops go in carry-on, as does anything else of value.

checked bags can get lost, or worse, stuff can be stolen from them.
they are also tossed around and a laptop really isn't suited to that
type of treatment. the airlines say not to put anything valuable in
there and don't cover much if you do.

Rob

On 21/11/2012 10:05 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-11-20 14:32:10 -0800, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 21/11/2012 8:17 AM, Frank S wrote:
>>>
>>> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:k8fs8h$qmm$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Yes - I would like to understand "scabbing" in this context.
>>>

>> Take lots of shots and fluke a keeper.

> Aah! The search for the magnificent miracle.
>
> No wonder you fill up those cards with JPEGs.

It was not me to whom I was referring.