Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Camera JPEG engines

Re: Camera JPEG engines

tony cooper

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 08:31:27 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-11-24 06:05:44 -0800, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>>

>> Which is a valid assumption in the absence of skewing information. But
>> that s not the point. When I travel, WiFi is NOT one of my criteria for
>> selection of a flight. In my order, schedule, non-stop, travel comfort,
>> cost. With the exceptions of the now defunct Grand Air, and Concorde,
>> the best meals I have on a flight is when I bring my own food.

>For the air travel I have engaged in, my priorities have been schedule,
>minimizing connections, comfort, & cost (sometimes comfort and value
>overrode cost). Connectivity in flight has never been a priority for
>me, and I am a bandwidth using fool. I enjoy the break.
>
>As far as meals go some of the best have been on a 1972 BA coach flight
>from JFK to LHR, a 1981 Swissair coach flight into Zurich, and the
>consistently very good KLM Business Class offerings (my current
>preferred international carrier, they have no first class and I
>understand their coach is quite acceptable). In 12 KLM fights I have
>always enjoyed superb meals.
>
>Then we have the dismal, inexcusably awful meals. A 1985 United Shuttle
>flight from D.C. to La Guardia, a 2005 Alaska Vancouver to SFO flight,
>a 2005 SFO-JFK and return on United, and a 2009 Detroit-SFO Delta. The
>last two were decidedly bad because they were business class offerings.

Our best meal on an airplane was on Aer Lingus from Chicago to Shannon
(Ireland). There was one stop in Montreal, and dinner was served
after that stop. The food was better than most, if not all, of the
meals we had in Ireland on that trip. That was in 1969.

In 1983, we again flew Aer Lingus to Shannon. I wouldn't say that
meal was the worst airline meal we've had, but it was your basic,
average, airline fare. This time, though, the food was better in
Ireland. I'm partial to smoked salmon, and no smoked salmon in the US
comes close to what we had in a rather ordinary seeming restaurant in
Waterford.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

nospam

In article <50b0d49b$0$10848$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Uh Huh!

> > at least you admit you make it up.

> read you omitted post, to which I responded. We all know you are a troll
> and I am playing with you.

why don't *you* read it first?

*nowhere* did i say ipads run flash, nor did the article i quoted.

you are the troll, and one who is lying about what i say.

nospam

In article <50b0d454$0$10848$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I would hardly expect them to say sales are ****. I have no idea how
> good, or bad their service is, not how much it costs. I remember making
> telephone calls using Aitfone. It was expensive, with terrible connectons.

things have come a long, long way since airfone.

gogo is pretty good. it's very popular, so on occasion it can be a bit
slow if half the plane is trying to watch youtube, but they're working
to increase bandwidth to the planes. it's more than adequate for web
surfing and email.

> When I travel, WiFi is NOT one of my criteria for
> selection of a flight.

that's fine. for other people it is. you do realize what you like is
not what the rest of the world wants, right?

> In my order, schedule, non-stop, travel comfort,
> cost. With the exceptions of the now defunct Grand Air, and Concorde,
> the best meals I have on a flight is when I bring my own food.

then you fly on crappy airlines too. airline food up front can be quite
good, although it's not like it used to be. the wine quality, however,
has gone down on most domestic flights, although alaska has wine and
beer from local wineries and breweries, which are generally pretty
good.

> BTW what is the actual percentage? Is a 10% failure rate "very likely?"

out of all the flights i've been on with gogo (hundreds), i can only
recall two instances where it didn't work. one where it was working but
the flight crew said it wasn't and then they shut it off, and another
where there was a gogo card in the seat pocket but no signal. that's an
extremely low failure rate.

i've experienced more mechanicals than gogo failures. those can be much
more of a hassle.

> As stated above,the purpose of any travel is to get some place, within a
> certain time frame. WiFi is NOT a driving force. Nor is it for most
> business travelers. (At least the ones who travel to accomplish
> something, not play games on OPM.

how is it you know what most business travelers want?

a lot of people like to travel in comfort and/or get work done, which
is why some will *pay* for f/j rather than chance an upgrade.

business travelers are almost always on their laptops, with or without
wifi, and when there's wifi they can communicate with the rest of the
company which is usually very important. they don't normally play
games, but even ceos are entitled to relax a bit now and then.

> >> As to cost, I am not a wealthy as you. Therefore, if I had to pay $20
> >> for a gallon of gas, for me it would be the same as no gas being
> >> available. (I fully expect you will not understand that analogy.)

> > more idiocy.

> Just carrying your point to its dry conclusion.

i.e., trolling. that's all you do.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Allegiant Orlando to Rockford (non-stop) is $89 plus $35 for
> >> the first bag checked. According to this:
> >> http://tinyurl.com/brjazua , the least expensive ticket Orlando to
> >> Chicago is $229 with United *and* United charges $25 for the first
> >> bag. Then, there'd be the transportation charges to Rockford.

> >first of all, that doesn't mean much. prices and availability change
> >all the time, and it even changed from when you posted to now.
> >
> >i'm seeing $218 on ua (not $229) and $158 on nk. i'm also finding a lot
> >of availability for $157 for jan 10-15th, 2013, as well as a few dates
> >further out.

> "nk" is Spirit...one of the airlines you described earlier as a
> cheap-ass airline with extra charges.

true, i forgot spirit is a cheap-ass airline. so $218 for the majors,
as of yesterday and that could change at any time.

> This discussion started over a comment I made about my wife using
> Allegiant to fly to Rockford for a funeral. You've now brought up
> ticket prices over a month away. You expect the deceased to be put on
> ice until ticket prices go down?

that's what bereavement fares are for, which a gds won't show you. or
use miles, which is one of the better uses for miles, actually.

walk-up fares are never the cheapest. a funeral is an edge case.

> >however, for anything in or near the last half of december, the fares
> >go up a *lot*. for the dates you picked, a lot of the cheapest fare
> >buckets are already 0.

> I didn't pick a date. I just went to a Google and used the fares that
> came up.

in other words, it's not a valid comparison of fares. why am i not
surprised.

if you are going to compare fares on different airlines you need to
compare the *same* fare buckets.

you don't compare mid-level fares on one to super-discounted on another.

nospam

In article <50b0d4dd$0$10848$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> He can recharge his iPad, or laptop, while waiting for the connecting
> >> flight.

> > don't need to.

> then why do you care about in=flight outlets?

learn to read. i don't need to recharge the ipad or laptop.

if there's an outlet on board i use it, but if not that's ok too.

tony cooper

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:43:48 -0800, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> This discussion started over a comment I made about my wife using
>> Allegiant to fly to Rockford for a funeral. You've now brought up
>> ticket prices over a month away. You expect the deceased to be put on
>> ice until ticket prices go down?

>that's what bereavement fares are for, which a gds won't show you. or
>use miles, which is one of the better uses for miles, actually.

More bullshit from you. You ever tried to get a bereavement fare?
See:
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/pers...ent-fares.aspx

>walk-up fares are never the cheapest. a funeral is an edge case.

Generally, a person has a week's notice unless the deceased is Jewish.
It's not a "walk-up" situation. Not everyone has miles credit,
either.

And, just for the record, if my wife wanted to visit relatives in
Rockford in the future, she'd want to use Allegiance. It's the most
convenient choice from here to there.

She's not interested in looking at the top of the clouds from a
window, she doesn't have anything to plug into a power point, she had
no problem with the seating on her previous flight, she'd rather buy a
soft drink if she wants one than fight the hassle of ORL, she travels
light, and she doesn't want to drive or take a bus from O'Hare to
Rockford.

This is just another example of your ridiculous notion that everyone
else should do things the way you do or are in the same situation you
are and therefore should be criticized for doing it differently.
Also, another example of you ignoring the facts of a post and
blabbering on about things that have no bearing on the post.

>> >however, for anything in or near the last half of december, the fares
>> >go up a *lot*. for the dates you picked, a lot of the cheapest fare
>> >buckets are already 0.

>> I didn't pick a date. I just went to a Google and used the fares that
>> came up.

>in other words, it's not a valid comparison of fares. why am i not
>surprised.

Of course it's valid. It's valid for the day that I provided the
link. If I wanted to book a flight on that day, that's the fair fare
comparison. All the fares were comparable for the date used.

>if you are going to compare fares on different airlines you need to
>compare the *same* fare buckets.

All the figures were current for that day.

Just for shits & giggles, I compared Allegiant and Delta for March
6th. Allegiant is $98.30 and Delta is $119.00. Allegiant charges $35
for a checked bag, Delta $25.00.

However, Delta's flights are not direct and the travel time is either
4 hrs and 20 min or 5 hrs and 13 min. (depending on the flight) and
then add a couple of hours for arrangement and ground travel to
Rockford from O'Hare. Also, add the price of a rental car or shuttle
bus.

Allegiant's travel time is under 3 hrs and no additional ground travel
time or cost.

I'd still pick Allegiant.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:43:43 -0800, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>business travelers are almost always on their laptops, with or without
>wifi, and when there's wifi they can communicate with the rest of the
>company which is usually very important. they don't normally play
>games, but even ceos are entitled to relax a bit now and then.

I was a business traveler for decades. I can't recall how being
out-of-touch with anyone for three hours or so was ever a problem.
Most of what is done on the laptop by a business traveler in-flight is
doesn't require wifi. The wifi stuff can be done in the Departure
lounge.

--

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >business travelers are almost always on their laptops, with or without
> >wifi, and when there's wifi they can communicate with the rest of the
> >company which is usually very important. they don't normally play
> >games, but even ceos are entitled to relax a bit now and then.

> I was a business traveler for decades. I can't recall how being
> out-of-touch with anyone for three hours or so was ever a problem.

you're out of touch with modern society (no surprise there).

today, people want to be connected 24/7. they carry smartphones in
their pockets that are more powerful than the computers they used to
have on their desks and are online all the time. they complain when 3g
isn't fast enough because it's overloaded (think about why it might be
overloaded). they get notified on emails, news events and much more, as
it happens. those with traditional cellphones won't go anywhere without
one either, even if it's 10 minutes to the grocery store.

in other words, it's nothing like how things were 'decades' ago.

> Most of what is done on the laptop by a business traveler in-flight is
> doesn't require wifi.

not necessarily, and you have no idea what a business traveler today
needs to do anyway. a lot of companies only exist in cyberspace. there
is no physical corporate headquarters. they *have* to be online to
work.

> The wifi stuff can be done in the Departure
> lounge.

what 'wifi stuff' is that?

sometimes it might, but many times it has to be done asap and cannot
wait until the arrival lounge.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> This discussion started over a comment I made about my wife using
> >> Allegiant to fly to Rockford for a funeral. You've now brought up
> >> ticket prices over a month away. You expect the deceased to be put on
> >> ice until ticket prices go down?

> >that's what bereavement fares are for, which a gds won't show you. or
> >use miles, which is one of the better uses for miles, actually.

> More bullshit from you. You ever tried to get a bereavement fare?

yes i have, and it was cheaper than anything else i could get.

> See:
>
> http://www.bankrate.com/finance/pers...bereavement-fa
> res.aspx
>
> >walk-up fares are never the cheapest. a funeral is an edge case.

> Generally, a person has a week's notice unless the deceased is Jewish.
> It's not a "walk-up" situation.

anything within a couple of days is considered a walk-up fare. 1 week
is usually the shortest advance fare but there are sometimes 3 day
ones.

however, for a funeral, people tend to want to leave as soon as they
can to be with family. they're not going to want to wait 3 days, let
alone a week, to get a better fare. in other words, it's a walk-up
fare.

not that it matters since the vast majority of airline tickets are
advance purchases. it's sad when someone must fly for a funeral, but
the reality is they're edge cases for the airlines.

> Not everyone has miles credit,
> either.

a lot of people have miles. it's so incredibly easy to get miles these
days *without* flying that there's no excuse not to. sign up for a
credit card, they're up to 35-40k bonus just for signing up. a couple
of years ago, chase was offering 100k miles for a card. or buy a lot of
pudding.

> And, just for the record, if my wife wanted to visit relatives in
> Rockford in the future, she'd want to use Allegiance. It's the most
> convenient choice from here to there.

that's fine. however, she's not the only person in the world who flies
and sfb & rfd aren't the only two airports in the world either.

it's also allegiant air, not allegiance. it helps to have the name
correct.

> She's not interested in looking at the top of the clouds from a
> window, she doesn't have anything to plug into a power point, she had
> no problem with the seating on her previous flight, she'd rather buy a
> soft drink if she wants one than fight the hassle of ORL, she travels
> light, and she doesn't want to drive or take a bus from O'Hare to
> Rockford.
>
> This is just another example of your ridiculous notion that everyone
> else should do things the way you do or are in the same situation you
> are and therefore should be criticized for doing it differently.
> Also, another example of you ignoring the facts of a post and
> blabbering on about things that have no bearing on the post.

actually, it's another example of *your* ridiculous notion that
everyone else should do things the way your wife did.

most people don't want to be nickeled and dimed, which is why there are
so few airlines that do it. it's also not a sustainable business model
since their costs aren't dramatically less than the majors.

sfb-rfd is not a major route and the majors are happy to let someone
else fly them with a la carte fares.

allegiant can't compete with the majors on routes such as jfk-lax &
jfk-sfo. they have a very limited number of routes.

however, for the cheapskates on leisure routes in cities they serve,
it's an option.

> >> I didn't pick a date. I just went to a Google and used the fares that
> >> came up.

> >in other words, it's not a valid comparison of fares. why am i not
> >surprised.

> Of course it's valid. It's valid for the day that I provided the
> link. If I wanted to book a flight on that day, that's the fair fare
> comparison. All the fares were comparable for the date used.

it's not valid.

comparing different fare buckets is bogus. simple concept.

if you want to compare different buckets then why not compare full y on
allegiant (most expensive) versus t on delta or o on aa (most
discounted). if what you're suggesting is valid, then that comparison
is also valid. works both ways.

airline fares are not simple. in fact, they're incredibly complex.

> >if you are going to compare fares on different airlines you need to
> >compare the *same* fare buckets.

> All the figures were current for that day.

so what?

ua's cheapest fare bucket for that day was 0ed out. that means their
cheapest fare was *gone*. sold out. not available. what's left are
higher priced buckets.

a flight on a different day might have a better fare, or you could wait
for yield management to release seats in the lower bucket. that won't
work for a funeral but it can easily work for a typical flyer.

> Just for shits & giggles, I compared Allegiant and Delta for March
> 6th. Allegiant is $98.30 and Delta is $119.00. Allegiant charges $35
> for a checked bag, Delta $25.00.

so almost the same, assuming you check bags, which not everyone does,
and some get that perk for free anyway. then add in the fees for
checking in, printing boarding passes, a drink or two, etc, and it's
not as cheap as it may seem.

that's how airlines are trying to fool naive customers. they offer a
lowball price and then tack on extras, in the hopes they don't notice
the total might be higher.

rental car companies are starting to do it too. i priced a rental car
for $14 a day last week. that's *really* cheap, except that it didn't
include all sorts of fees. by the time all that crap was added in (all
of it required), it was something like $40 a day, which is typical for
a daily rental and was consistent with other rental companies that just
said $40 up front.

> However, Delta's flights are not direct and the travel time is either
> 4 hrs and 20 min or 5 hrs and 13 min. (depending on the flight) and
> then add a couple of hours for arrangement and ground travel to
> Rockford from O'Hare. Also, add the price of a rental car or shuttle
> bus.

for *you*.

for others, delta could be the more convenient flight. or maybe another
airline.

> Allegiant's travel time is under 3 hrs and no additional ground travel
> time or cost.
>
> I'd still pick Allegiant.

good. they need more people like you.

PeterN

On 11/24/2012 10:20 AM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:05:44 -0500, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Which is a valid assumption in the absence of skewing information. But
>> that s not the point. When I travel, WiFi is NOT one of my criteria for
>> selection of a flight. In my order, schedule, non-stop, travel comfort,
>> cost.

> Yet, you criticized the choice of Allegiant when the choice was made
> for those reasons plus the location of the airport. What a phoney.
>
>> With the exceptions of the now defunct Grand Air, and Concorde,
>> the best meals I have on a flight is when I bring my own food.

> Ahh...you are one of those cheese-eating farters who bring their own
> lunch box on board.

Huh!

--
Peter