Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Linux compatibility

Linux compatibility

EDI Support

Hi All,

I would like know if Python 2.4.3 will be compatible with Linux RHEL 5.5 or 6.1?

Thanks
Tony

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 08:44:37 -0800 (PST), EDI Support
gmane.comp.python.general:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like know if Python 2.4.3 will be compatible with Linux RHEL 5.5 or 6.1?

Uhm...

1) Python 2.4.x is practically an antique. (I just updated my Windows
machines to 2.7 from 2.5 -- and 2.7 will be the last 2.x version)

2) Python itself is essentially OS agnostic, the Linux/UNIX variations
tend to come in source code form and require building on the target
architecture (since practically no one has build environment on Windows,
except software developers, Windows Python tends to be in pre-built
binaries). You are perfectly free to build a "user" version on the OS

3) RedHat controls what version of Python is the system installed
version -- typically one doesn't want to replace that as it may produce
incompatibilities with system tools. Instead one builds an alternate
Python and puts that version into the user PATH ahead of the system
version.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN

Steven D'Aprano

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 08:44:37 -0800, EDI Support wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like know if Python 2.4.3 will be compatible with Linux RHEL
> 5.5 or 6.1?

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, but why would you want to use
Python 2.4 in production if you don't have to? RHEL will come with Python
already installed, I believe it is Python 2.6.

It is *much* better to use Python 2.6 if you can: it is faster, has fewer
bugs, and more modern features.

But if you must use Python 2.4, make sure that you do NOT replace the
system Python already installed. If installing from source, use "make
altinstall" instead of "make install" to ensure that it doesn't overwrite
the system Python.

--
Steven

EDI Support

On Monday, November 19, 2012 11:44:37 AM UTC-5, EDI Support wrote:
> Hi All, I would like know if Python 2.4.3 will be compatible with Linux RHEL 5.5 or 6.1? Thanks Tony

Thanks everyone for your replies. To clarify, We would like to run a Proof of concept - that our current version 2.4.3 will run without any application or OS issues on RHEL 6.1.