Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Point of idle curiosity

Point of idle curiosity

Chris Angelico

(if you'll forgive the pun)

Is IDLE named after Eric of that name, or is it pure coincidence?

ChrisA

Steven D'Aprano

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 22:45:43 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> (if you'll forgive the pun)
>
> Is IDLE named after Eric of that name, or is it pure coincidence?

Well, IDLE is an IDE. The L doesn't seem to mean anything, so it's
plausible that it is named after Eric Idle.

--
Steven

Mark Lawrence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDLE_%28Python%29

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Chris Angelico

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 3:08 AM, Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 18/11/2012 15:59, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 22:45:43 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>>> (if you'll forgive the pun)
>>>
>>> Is IDLE named after Eric of that name, or is it pure coincidence?

>> Well, IDLE is an IDE. The L doesn't seem to mean anything, so it's
>> plausible that it is named after Eric Idle.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDLE_%28Python%29

Thanks both. I went looking at the docs, but didn't find anything
conclusive either way. It's sometimes hard to know just how much Monty
Python there is in the language... which justified me getting a bit
naughty a couple of weeks ago and almost citing the Python language
in-character in my Dungeons and Dragons campaign:

"There is still a cheeseshop owned by his family. It's called PyPi,
though whether that's an abbreviation for something or not is not
reported here."

And then when they went to the place, I described it thusly:

"It's all done up with a pythonic decor. Everything's nicely done up
with snakes; the walls have indented blocks with no braces on them."

Now I just need to find a signwriter and graphic designer named Eric
Haffabee, laying around idle all the time... or maybe that's too
obscure a set of references.

ChrisA

Ulrich Eckhardt

Am 18.11.2012 12:45, schrieb Chris Angelico:
> (if you'll forgive the pun)

Nevarr!

> Is IDLE named after Eric of that name, or is it pure coincidence?

Maybe. Interestingly, there is also
http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/, just to add some more unfounded
conspiracy theories to this discussion.

Uli

Chris Angelico

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Ulrich Eckhardt
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Am 18.11.2012 12:45, schrieb Chris Angelico:
>> Is IDLE named after Eric of that name, or is it pure coincidence?

> Maybe. Interestingly, there is also http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/,
> just to add some more unfounded conspiracy theories to this discussion.

Wait, that's completely separate. I don't think Eric Idle was ever a
member of the Eric Conspiracy.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/ecsl/

ChrisA