Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TV on computer

Reply
Thread Tools

TV on computer

 
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2012
On 2012-11-18, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>
>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:k856b8$7ed$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> We grew up before TV, so aren't so dependent on it as folks today.

>>
>>
>> No, 'folks of today' (ie young folks, hardly ever watch TV. They are
>> glued, in solitary, to their tiny laptop computer monitors. Sad. Even the
>> social aspect of watching scheduled programmes is being lost.
>>
>> geoff

>
> That could be because of the lack of good programs. I would rather use the
> internet than watch some of the rubbish on TV these days. There is a limit
> to watching brainless comedies and gruesome murders (enough of those in real
> life!).


I trust you have seen some of the fine range of cooking shows which TV1 has
had on.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Donchano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2012

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:03:56 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>
>"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:50a948fd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 19/11/12 00:19, Geopelia wrote:
>>> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>>
>>>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:k86j8g$s5p$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>
>>>>> Thank you. The tapes are all ones I have recorded from the TV.
>>>>> Not really worth the expense of getting them saved.
>>>>>
>>>>> They were handy though to record any good programs.
>>>>>
>>>>> Geopelia
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> You can play your old tape back on a new digital TV just fine.
>>>>
>>>> geoff
>>>
>>> It's hard to find new tapes though. Countdown doesn't seem to sell them
>>> now.
>>>

>> Well, you can't buy VCRs any more.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>>

>
>Probably still plenty around though.
>


Our eight head VCR (that plays both PAL and NTSC is sitting just
across from my desk at this very moment. That's because I've gone
through the laborious process of transferring a few VHS tapes to
digital and (the easy part) burning them onto DVDs.

Frankly, the end result hasn't been worth the effort. But at least I
have a record of some work I did.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2012
On 11/19/2012 4:11 PM, Frank Williams wrote:


> To match the screen size of a CRT 4:3 29" you need to go to a 37" or
> 40" or your picture will me small height wise.
>
> There are stacks of guides on the net on how to chose a Wide screen
> TV over a old CRT one..


No you dont, it will equal a 24" LCD, since the 29" is a 27" picture on
a 29" tube, and its the width that is the same, the height on a 16:9
doesnt need to be as great as 1/4 of the 4:3 screen only ever shows
black on it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2012

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 00:15:47 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:k89nkc$mmr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On 11/18/2012 5:05 PM, Geopelia wrote:
>>>
>>>> We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
>>>> Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?
>>>
>>> Well it is quite a small tv, so anything newer would probably be bigger
>>> so
>>> better.

>>
>>I think it's 29 inch. Anything bigger would be a nuisance in our place.
>>

>
>
>
> I have just posted a Screen calculator so you can pick the correct Size
>
> for a 29" its 37" that's what I did but I think you will have to for a
> 40" and don't get any thing else than a LG or Samsung if you wish to
> watch pictures from the USB port.
>
> The other Top brands only support AVI encoded videos.
>
> Also a ISP screen TVs kills CRT sets in every thing and see what
> power you will save
>
> Do not get a TV from the Warehouse as they are only LCD and have very
> bad specks.
>
> All decent brand TV's have ISP screens that give far better Colour and
> viewing angle..
>
> http://www.screenmath.com/


Thank you. I've saved that website.

Of course we wouldn't buy anything like that from the Warehouse, or from
some other big stores.
We would go to a specialist shop with trained service people, as I would for
computer items.

Geopelia


 
Reply With Quote
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2012

"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2012-11-19, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:50a94a6e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On 19/11/12 00:15, Geopelia wrote:
>>>> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:k89nkc$mmr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> On 11/18/2012 5:05 PM, Geopelia wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
>>>>>> Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?
>>>>>
>>>>> Well it is quite a small tv, so anything newer would probably be
>>>>> bigger
>>>>> so
>>>>> better.
>>>>
>>>> I think it's 29 inch. Anything bigger would be a nuisance in our place.
>>>>
>>> A 30 inch digital TV would be sharper. Sharper is usually better. Also
>>> any
>>> new TV will have FreeView built in.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Cliff
>>>

>>
>> Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. What we get is up to Hubby.
>>

> If you say so


He chose our present TV.
But as there is going to be a lot of technical stuff to consider, I expect
the TV man will suggest the most suitable items.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2012

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k8ag51$ddp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Yes by some 200% your TV is to OLD and is not sharp at all..

>>
>> Everything in our place is old, including us!

>
>
> Well, a new 37" LCD Freeview TV will make you both at least 10 years
> younger !
>
> geoff
>


TV keeps you young.

I can admire a gorgeous young chap on TV without worrying about the 60 year
age gap.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2012

"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2012-11-18, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>
>>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:k856b8$7ed$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>
>>>> We grew up before TV, so aren't so dependent on it as folks today.
>>>
>>>
>>> No, 'folks of today' (ie young folks, hardly ever watch TV. They are
>>> glued, in solitary, to their tiny laptop computer monitors. Sad. Even
>>> the
>>> social aspect of watching scheduled programmes is being lost.
>>>
>>> geoff

>>
>> That could be because of the lack of good programs. I would rather use
>> the
>> internet than watch some of the rubbish on TV these days. There is a
>> limit
>> to watching brainless comedies and gruesome murders (enough of those in
>> real
>> life!).

>
> I trust you have seen some of the fine range of cooking shows which TV1
> has
> had on.
>


Yes, we watch some of those. Masterchef is entertaining.
But I want to see stuff I could cook myself, not fancy chef's stuff.
The waste of good food annoys me, living on wartime rations for so long.

Many a failed dish has ended up as a cottage pie, with frugal home cooks!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2012
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 21:24:58 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11/19/2012 4:11 PM, Frank Williams wrote:
>
>
>> To match the screen size of a CRT 4:3 29" you need to go to a 37" or
>> 40" or your picture will me small height wise.
>>
>> There are stacks of guides on the net on how to chose a Wide screen
>> TV over a old CRT one..

>
>No you dont, it will equal a 24" LCD, since the 29" is a 27" picture on
>a 29" tube, and its the width that is the same, the height on a 16:9
>doesnt need to be as great as 1/4 of the 4:3 screen only ever shows
>black on it.



YOU ARE COMPLETLY TOTTLY WRONG, TO MATCH THE SCREEN HIGHT WITH A 29'
4:3 SCREEN YOU NEED TO GET A 37' 10:9 SCREEN MINIMUM.


REAL THE ARTICLE THAT I POSTED AS ITB SEEMS YOU DONT UNDERSTAND..

 
Reply With Quote
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-20-2012

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k8dcv8$j00$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>
>>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:k8ag51$ddp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>
>>>>> Yes by some 200% your TV is to OLD and is not sharp at all..
>>>>
>>>> Everything in our place is old, including us!
>>>
>>>
>>> Well, a new 37" LCD Freeview TV will make you both at least 10 years
>>> younger !
>>>
>>> geoff
>>>

>>
>> TV keeps you young.
>>
>> I can admire a gorgeous young chap on TV without worrying about the 60
>> year age gap.

>
>
> In the privacy of your own home !
>
> geoff
>


There is an old saying that a woman is never more than eighteen in her
heart.

It's probably true.
But I have never really got past the Lower Fourth!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2012
In article <k8fo4b$46j$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>There is an old saying that a woman is never more than eighteen in her
>heart.


I think that's true of everyone. My brother reckons you don't get older,
bits just start falling off.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 computer Peer to Peer - one computer not able to be pinged. =?Utf-8?B?VGltbWF5?= Wireless Networking 5 08-02-2005 01:49 PM
How do I link a wireless computer to a DSL computer? =?Utf-8?B?TVdI?= Wireless Networking 4 07-07-2005 04:41 AM
2nd network computer can't see 100% of files in certain folders on 1st computer R. D. Silvester Wireless Networking 0 03-15-2005 02:52 PM
Computer to computer with Wi-Fi =?Utf-8?B?SGFucyAoYmVsZ2l1bSk=?= Wireless Networking 1 12-19-2004 03:51 PM
Computer to computer connection MS Wireless Networking 2 07-23-2004 11:31 PM



Advertisments