Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TV on computer

TV on computer

Geopelia

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k856b8$7ed$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> We grew up before TV, so aren't so dependent on it as folks today.

> No, 'folks of today' (ie young folks, hardly ever watch TV. They are
> glued, in solitary, to their tiny laptop computer monitors. Sad. Even the
> social aspect of watching scheduled programmes is being lost.
>
> geoff

That could be because of the lack of good programs. I would rather use the
internet than watch some of the rubbish on TV these days. There is a limit
to watching brainless comedies and gruesome murders (enough of those in real
life!).

I'll stick to sport (Rugby, boxing and motor bikes), historical war films,
science, wildlife, gardening and cooking, with a priceless gem like "Downton
Abbey" or "Rome" now and then.

When I was a small child, there were fairy tales of people with a magic box
or a crystal ball, where everything happening in the world would appear.
Now we have that, with the TV. Live events by satellite from the other side
of the planet!
(Interrupted by adverts, of course).

Geopelia

Geopelia

news:k89nkc$mmr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 11/18/2012 5:05 PM, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
>> Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?

> Well it is quite a small tv, so anything newer would probably be bigger so
> better.

I think it's 29 inch. Anything bigger would be a nuisance in our place.

Geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:05:17 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>>
>>> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> And you can see modern programs in full wide-screen format.
>>>
>>> Geo, don't bother dicking about with your old TV and a decoder - get a
>>> new
>>> TV. I'm sure you'll be thrilled and wonder why you left is so long !
>>>
>>> geoff

>>We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
>>Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?
>>

> Yes by some 200% your TV is to OLD and is not sharp at all..

Everything in our place is old, including us!

Geopelia

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k86j8g$s5p$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Thank you. The tapes are all ones I have recorded from the TV.
>> Not really worth the expense of getting them saved.
>>
>> They were handy though to record any good programs.
>>
>> Geopelia

> You can play your old tape back on a new digital TV just fine.
>
> geoff

It's hard to find new tapes though. Countdown doesn't seem to sell them now.

Geopelia

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k84f87$ok$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> We have got to get our TV changed over with this new system.
>>
>> But I can get some TV programs on the computer. Will they work with the
>> new system coming in, or will I have to get a set top box or something
>> for the computer too?

> Nothing to do with regular TV - it's just like watching things on YouTube.
> Stuck with a computer screen.
>
>> Is there any way to watch recorded tapes on a computer?

> No.
>
>> (And why does the government or someone have to mess about with a
>> perfectly good system anyway? To rake in more GST?)

> No. It's about staying in touch with the real world, and the old system
> was not 'perfectly good'.
>

>> Silly questions I suppose.

> Yep !
>

> geoff

I've been amazed at some of the stuff on YouTube. The censor would have a
blue fit!

Enkidu

On 17/11/12 17:41, Gordon wrote:
> On 2012-11-17, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 23:59:48 +1300, "Geopelia"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> It's not all that old, about 12 years.

>> Over 5 Years is OLD.

> Gosh Roger, got your marketing hat on? The question is does it work?
> Vintage cars still carry people from A to B.

So long as A and B are not too far apart.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On 19/11/12 00:19, Geopelia wrote:
> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>
>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:k86j8g$s5p$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Thank you. The tapes are all ones I have recorded from the TV.
>>> Not really worth the expense of getting them saved.
>>>
>>> They were handy though to record any good programs.
>>>
>>> Geopelia

>> You can play your old tape back on a new digital TV just fine.
>>
>> geoff

> It's hard to find new tapes though. Countdown doesn't seem to sell them now.

Well, you can't buy VCRs any more.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On 19/11/12 00:15, Geopelia wrote:
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k89nkc$mmr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 11/18/2012 5:05 PM, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
>>> Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?

>> Well it is quite a small tv, so anything newer would probably be bigger so
>> better.

> I think it's 29 inch. Anything bigger would be a nuisance in our place.

A 30 inch digital TV would be sharper. Sharper is usually better. Also
any new TV will have FreeView built in.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On 19/11/12 00:17, Geopelia wrote:
> "Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:05:17 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
>>> Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?
>>>

>> Yes by some 200% your TV is to OLD and is not sharp at all..

> Everything in our place is old, including us!

Roger is right though. Unless it has been adjusted in those 5 years it
will have drifted slightly off focus. Digitals just do not do that. An
analog TV works by literally drawing an image with a steam of electrons.
Imagine trying to draw a picture with a fire hose! A digital is more
like a huge bank of switches.

Cheers,

Cliff

Geopelia

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:50a94a6e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 19/11/12 00:15, Geopelia wrote:
>> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:k89nkc$mmr$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Well it is quite a small tv, so anything newer would probably be bigger
>>> so
>>> better.

>> I think it's 29 inch. Anything bigger would be a nuisance in our place.
>>

> A 30 inch digital TV would be sharper. Sharper is usually better. Also any
> new TV will have FreeView built in.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. What we get is up to Hubby.