Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TV on computer

TV on computer

victor

On 17/11/2012 12:46 p.m., Geopelia wrote:

> Thank you. The tapes are all ones I have recorded from the TV.
> Not really worth the expense of getting them saved.
>
> They were handy though to record any good programs.
>
> Geopelia

You will still be able to use your VCR to play them through either the
old TV or a new one after the switchover.
But it won't record from its own tuner anymore

Frank Williams

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 23:59:48 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:30:44 +1300, Enkidu
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>You can get a set-top box which will work with your existing TV.

>>>Do you mean TVNZ's "On demand"? That doesn't cover other channels. If
>>>you don't mean TVNZ's On-Demand, what do you mean?

>>>It depends what you mean. If you don't have a TV aerial on your computer
>>>now, you won't need one for the digital changeover.

>> You can get a USB Freeview receiver for say $30 but it has to be
>> plugged into a decent antenna unless you are very close to the Freeview
>> Transmitter.
>>
>> I have one works well only cost me $20 from Hong Kong but I don't really
>> use it as I don't have antenna connection near my PC.
>>

>> The Same one is sold on Trademe for $36 from memory
>>

>> But from memory your computer is very very old so might not work to
>> well.

>It's not all that old, about 12 years.

Over 5 Years is OLD.

>>>Yes, but you would have to put a TV tuner card in your computer so that
>>>you could connect the VCR to your computer directly. But you probably
>>>wouldn't want to do that.
>>>
>>>If you have particular tapes that you want to view, (say a family
>>>wedding video or similar) there are people who will transfer VCR tape to
>>>DVD, but it will cost you.

>> Just get a Panasonic DMR-XW390 DVD Freeview recorder and DVD Recorder,
>> it has inputs for a VCR and you can the record the Video to DVD..

>I'll make a note of that, thanks.

>>>All programs are being made in digital formats overseas and if NZ were
>>>to keep the analog system, then they would have to convert all overseas
>>>stuff to analog to broadcast it (including stuff in news items). The
>>>equipment needed to broadcast analog (which is sourced overseas) would
>>>become scarce over time.

>> Some one is very confused.
>>

>>>No such thing, Geo!
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Cliff

>Thanks folks, now I'm more confused than ever. I'll have to leave it all to
>the computer man or the TV man.
>
>Yes, I get TV on demand for TVNZ. TV3 and 4 also seem to have programs on
>demand. I can't find anything about Prime on demand, it seems to be all
>stuff about Sky which we don't have.
>Hubby watches a lot of TV but doesn't want to get Sky. Too expensive he
>says, and you have to pay extra for the boxing etc.
>
>We grew up before TV, so aren't so dependent on it as folks today.
>
>Geopelia

Enkidu

On 17/11/12 12:46, Geopelia wrote:

>> Geo, I've had limited success with the USB (plugin) VCR capture devices,
>> which is why I didn't mention them. If you have any important family
>> tapes, then you could either get a set top box with VCR input and DVD
>> recording as Roger suggested, or pay someone copy the tapes to DVD for
>> you. I suggest that you do that soon as VCRs do not last for ever.

> Thank you. The tapes are all ones I have recorded from the TV.
> Not really worth the expense of getting them saved.
>
> They were handy though to record any good programs.

It looks to me like you could benefit from "My Freeview" which will
allow you to record TV programs to watch later. A My Freeview set top
box might cost anything from $400 to $700. I believe that some of them
will copy to DVD as well, but that would depend on the model.

Cheers,

Cliff

Gordon

On 2012-11-16, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hell, you cant even buy a television in the aspect ratio of the obsolete
> analog transmissions anymore.

Nor the same size, power consumption is close in some cases though.

Enkidu

On 17/11/12 15:48, Crash McBash wrote:

> Good luck getting to grips with all this Geo.

I remember when it was all black and white, there was only one TV
station that shut down every evening and the major problem was adjusting
the vertical and horizontal holds so that the picture could be viewed on
the 9" screen. It still looked like the action was taking place in a
snowstorm even if the picture was stable.

Cheers,

Cliff

Gordon

On 2012-11-16, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k857np$u81$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 11/16/2012 5:25 PM, Geopelia wrote:
>>> We have got to get our TV changed over with this new system.

>> You really should do, boxes are frequently sold at the warehouse for $70
>> on promo, not the greatest ones but the ones I have on the antique TV's in
>> the shed and garage are working a treat.
>>
>>> But I can get some TV programs on the computer. Will they work with the
>>> new
>>> system coming in, or will I have to get a set top box or something for
>>> the
>>> computer too?

>> TV on demand is seperate from broadcast.
>>
>>> Is there any way to watch recorded tapes on a computer?

>> Recorded tapes are analog. Any analog video capture device will let you
>> get them into the computer. There is a very wide selection of USB devices
>> sold for the purposes of transfering your old VHS's to the computer, or
>> else for making youtube uploads easy from camcorders etc. Those will
>> usually allow for a realtime display of the images so you can watch on the
>> computer even tho that isnt their prime purpose.

> I'll see if the computer man has the stuff that can do it.

Geo, if you wish to convert the video tapes then, it is probably best to
find a place which will do that for you. The computer man is like to no, too
difficult. Still no harm in asking.

>>> (And why does the government or someone have to mess about with a
>>> perfectly
>>> good system anyway? To rake in more GST?)

>> Because the old system was terribly inefficiant with its use of a very
>> very scarse resource. The govt has a duty to provide maximum benifit to
>> citizens from limited resources.

Well, that is one way of looking at it.

>> Wasting 8MHz of spectrum to provide one low resolution artifact riddled
>> analog transmission with only one audio channel available is a waste. IMO
>> the govt is negligent by dragging the switchoff out for as long as
>> possible.

So, they should just do it right now. a) they lose votes, b) the advertisers
go crazy as their meassge is not getting across and c) there is a risk that
the population might become educated.

I think that those two old men had in right, Good things take time. You can
not just yank the whole country to your way of thinking and doing.

>> Hell, you cant even buy a television in the aspect ratio of the obsolete
>> analog transmissions anymore.
>>

> Thank you.
>
> The was some scheme mentioned where eligible people could get the cost of
> changing over, or some of the cost.
> We would be eligible.
>
> But nothing more seems to have been said about it. Perhaps they are waiting
> until most people have already changed over.
> We are hanging on to see what happens, plenty of time before the Auckland
> changeover.

Gordon

On 2012-11-17, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 23:59:48 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>It's not all that old, about 12 years.

> Over 5 Years is OLD.

Gosh Roger, got your marketing hat on? The question is does it work? Vintage
cars still carry people from A to B.

Gordon

On 2012-11-16, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 11/16/2012 11:59 PM, Geopelia wrote:
>> "Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> But from memory your computer is very very old so might not work to
>>> well.

>> It's not all that old, about 12 years.

> That makes it a complete fossil in that case.
>
>>> Just get a Panasonic DMR-XW390 DVD Freeview recorder and DVD Recorder,
>>> it has inputs for a VCR and you can the record the Video to DVD..

>> I'll make a note of that, thanks.

>> Thanks folks, now I'm more confused than ever. I'll have to leave it all to
>> the computer man or the TV man.

> I expect that when auckland finally gets its analog switchoff there will
> be more information provided to people.

FFS, you will never make a project manager. Some parts of NZ have gone
digital only. There were people on the ground before the area went digital,
doing alot of door knocking asking people if they knew.

> IMO is insane they are marketing it as a digital switch over since many
> people seem to think they have to wait till the day to change instead of
> getting off analog now.
>
>> Yes, I get TV on demand for TVNZ. TV3 and 4 also seem to have programs on
>> demand. I can't find anything about Prime on demand, it seems to be all
>> stuff about Sky which we don't have.
>> Hubby watches a lot of TV but doesn't want to get Sky. Too expensive he
>> says, and you have to pay extra for the boxing etc.

> Primes ondemand is only available in isky which is only available to sky
> subscribers. Choice tv seem to have quite a good ondemand site, still
> needs flash tho which does suck.
>
>> We grew up before TV, so aren't so dependent on it as folks today.

Geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 23:59:48 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> You can get a USB Freeview receiver for say $30 but it has to be
>>> plugged into a decent antenna unless you are very close to the Freeview
>>> Transmitter.
>>>
>>> I have one works well only cost me $20 from Hong Kong but I don't really
>>> use it as I don't have antenna connection near my PC.
>>>

>>> The Same one is sold on Trademe for $36 from memory
>>>

>>> But from memory your computer is very very old so might not work to
>>> well.

>>It's not all that old, about 12 years.

> Over 5 Years is OLD.

(And the days of man's life are threescore and ten years. But I'm happily
pottering along at 83.)

The computer man will say when it is past it. He says it hasn't got enough
places to plug new stuff in.

I've still got XP. Perhaps when that is obsolete I can change the computer
at the same time.

>>> Just get a Panasonic DMR-XW390 DVD Freeview recorder and DVD Recorder,
>>> it has inputs for a VCR and you can the record the Video to DVD..

>>I'll make a note of that, thanks.

>>> Some one is very confused.

>>Thanks folks, now I'm more confused than ever. I'll have to leave it all
>>the computer man or the TV man.
>>
>>Yes, I get TV on demand for TVNZ. TV3 and 4 also seem to have programs on
>>demand. I can't find anything about Prime on demand, it seems to be all
>>stuff about Sky which we don't have.
>>Hubby watches a lot of TV but doesn't want to get Sky. Too expensive he
>>says, and you have to pay extra for the boxing etc.
>>
>>We grew up before TV, so aren't so dependent on it as folks today.
>>
>>Geopelia

Donchano

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 19:14:06 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>I've still got XP. Perhaps when that is obsolete I can change the computer
>at the same time.

That's MY plan. And my computer is just five years old (with very high
specs for the time) and I'm just 71.