Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Curves - Making the cut

Curves - Making the cut

PeterN

On 11/13/2012 8:28 PM, Rich wrote:
> tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Finding "Curves" was not all that difficult, but choosing the three to
>> submit is. This one's been cut but may be as good as the one's kept:
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...b/0/X2/2012-11
>> -11-67-X2.jpg
>>

> That's interesting.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/58334557/original

You did a nice job with that image.

I was poking around your site, and think you have some nice images.
Regarding your animals, I wish you had made tighter crops, as you did
with the gull. Also, I would have tried to highlight the eyes and face.
Try to tone down some of the body hot spots and darken the background,
where appropriate. Shooting in bright sunlight can be a real bear.
Please keep showing your work.

BTW

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:24:35 -0500, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11/13/2012 8:28 PM, Rich wrote:
>> tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Finding "Curves" was not all that difficult, but choosing the three to
>>> submit is. This one's been cut but may be as good as the one's kept:
>>>
>>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...b/0/X2/2012-11
>>> -11-67-X2.jpg
>>>

>> That's interesting.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/58334557/original
>>

>You did a nice job with that image.

Charles what's-his-face makes fun of my comments about cropping, but -
to me - what you leave in and what you take out is as important as
finding the subject.

This image of Rich's, and a few other of his architectural shots, are
stronger because of the crop. In my opinion, the crop can tell viewer
what the image is all about. The camera can only frame within the
restrictions of the native image size. The photographer takes over
from there.

I tried to do this with the shot of the Lincoln.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN

On 11/13/2012 9:34 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:24:35 -0500, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 11/13/2012 8:28 PM, Rich wrote:
>>> tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> That's interesting.
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/58334557/original
>>>

>> You did a nice job with that image.
>>

> Charles what's-his-face makes fun of my comments about cropping, but -
> to me - what you leave in and what you take out is as important as
> finding the subject.
>
> This image of Rich's, and a few other of his architectural shots, are
> stronger because of the crop. In my opinion, the crop can tell viewer
> what the image is all about. The camera can only frame within the
> restrictions of the native image size. The photographer takes over
> from there.
>
> I tried to do this with the shot of the Lincoln.

Many photographers make the mistake of trying to show the subject in
context. As a result, the beauty of the capture gets lost in the detail.
Quite often, I enlarge an so I can work on the detail, and I see a crop
as much stronger.
Yes! in art, less is quite often more.

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 20:14:03 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-11-13 07:39:50 -0800, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Finding "Curves" was not all that difficult, but choosing the three to
>> submit is. This one's been cut but may be as good as the one's kept:
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...1-11-67-X2.jpg

>BTW:
>>

>Here is one of my automotive shots which didn't make the cut.
>
>This is shot of exhaust headers from an Offenhauser tuned,1958 Chevy
>261 "Straight Six" in streetable "Rat Rod" of a much earlier mixed
>heritage.
>
>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil..._4200-E-2b.jpg >

Maybe this will be the SI of the close-ins.

--

On 11/13/2012 11:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-11-13 20:17:16 -0800, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 20:14:03 -0800, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> BTW:
>
> Here
>>>>
>>> is one of my automotive shots which didn't make the cut.
>>>
>>> This is shot of exhaust headers from an Offenhauser tuned,1958 Chevy
>>> 261 "Straight Six" in streetable "Rat Rod" of a much earlier mixed
>>> heritage.
>>>
>>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil..._4200-E-2b.jpg >

>> Maybe this will be the SI of the close-ins.

> It could well be. I have gone to the automotive and architectural wells
> and have three shots which show less than the whole.

Not when you see one of my submissions.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 11/13/2012 11:55 PM, Rich wrote:
> PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:50a300ea$0$15580
> $(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
>
>> On 11/13/2012 8:28 PM, Rich wrote:
>>> tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

> 11
>>>>

>>> That's interesting.
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/58334557/original
>>>

>> You did a nice job with that image.
>>
>> I was poking around your site, and think you have some nice images.
>> Regarding your animals, I wish you had made tighter crops, as you did
>> with the gull. Also, I would have tried to highlight the eyes and face.
>> Try to tone down some of the body hot spots and darken the background,
>> where appropriate. Shooting in bright sunlight can be a real bear.
>> Please keep showing your work.
>>
>> BTW
>>

> Thanks, the gull was shot very close with a 350mm mirror lens (Tamron)
> and a Pentax APS so it was tight.

Two years ago a took my Nikon 500 mirror out of retirement. But was not
happy with the results. I will probably try it on an FX.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 11/14/2012 3:42 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:39:50 -0500, tony cooper
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Finding "Curves" was not all that difficult, but choosing the three to
>> submit is. This one's been cut but may be as good as the one's kept:
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...1-11-67-X2.jpg

> Today I tried to visit an open-air art exhibition which I thought
> would provide examples suitable for the shoot-in.
>
> I got there this morning - dammit - just in time to run in to a solar
> eclipse!
>
> I tried again this afternoon only to find it was blowing like hell and
> raining to boot.
>
> Better luck tomorrow.

Wind will fit the mandate perfectly. It can turn straight lines into
curve. I am trying for curves in unfamiliar places.

--
Peter

J. Clarke

In article <2012111314234434195-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

> On 2012-11-13 12:46:13 -0800, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:11:22 -0800, Savageduck
> > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> Nice
>
> Lincoln!
>
> 1930
>
> 2-door
>
> Lincoln

> >> I agree. The chain does not look original or period restoration.

> > I really don't know if the chain was used on that particular year and
> > model. However, this is a vehicle entered in the Concours D'Elegance.
> > I think that it is a requirement for entry that all restoration be
> > authentic if the vehicle is to be judged.
> >
> > The fittings on the mirror would determine if a leather strap or a
> > chain could be used. If it's an authentic mirror, and a chair fits,
> > then I have to assume that the chain was authentic for the model.
> >
> > Me, I just take photographs.

> Most Concours D'Elegance rules are not standard, but vary by committee,
> but for the most part are so similar it makes little difference. Pebble
> Beach and Amelia Island are probably the two most rigorous US
> committees.

Wait a minute, there's a concourse held on Amelia Island now?!?!?!?!?!
I grew up there and the only automotive event of any significance was
the SCCA race at the airport. Little mill and fishing town where the
black and white high schools were still in the process of being merged.
I guess it's been gentrified beyond all recognition.

> I can't speak for the Winter Park event.
> Generally you are going to be looking at three groups at a Concours,
> "Original unrestored", "Original restored", & "Frame up restoration".
> The judges and committees will have different levels of tolerance for
> each category. Usually the first two require original equipment, or
> optional original equipment available at the time of original sale. If
> the spare tire mirror mount chain on your car was an original option
> (something I am not aware of, but a Concours judge specializing in the
> Lincoln Marque certainly would be) it would comply.
> Many "Frame up" restorations are able to meet the "Original restored"
> category provided original parts and/or options are used. These cars
> can be dinged points if fabricated or aftermarket replacement parts are
> used.
>
> That said, your 1930 Lincoln looks to be a nice car. The LaSalle or
> "Poor man's Cadillac" are also impressive cars. We have a local 1934
> Cadillac LaSalle around here that is a daily runner. Great car.
>
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...DSC2356-Ew.jpg >
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...-Lasalle-w.jpg >

tony cooper

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:46:39 -0500, "J. Clarke"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <2012111314234434195-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
>savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...
>>
>> On 2012-11-13 12:46:13 -0800, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> Nice
>>
>> Lincoln!
>>
>> 1930
>>
>> 2-door
>>
>> Lincoln

>> > I really don't know if the chain was used on that particular year and
>> > model. However, this is a vehicle entered in the Concours D'Elegance.
>> > I think that it is a requirement for entry that all restoration be
>> > authentic if the vehicle is to be judged.
>> >
>> > The fittings on the mirror would determine if a leather strap or a
>> > chain could be used. If it's an authentic mirror, and a chair fits,
>> > then I have to assume that the chain was authentic for the model.
>> >
>> > Me, I just take photographs.

>> Most Concours D'Elegance rules are not standard, but vary by committee,
>> but for the most part are so similar it makes little difference. Pebble
>> Beach and Amelia Island are probably the two most rigorous US
>> committees.

>Wait a minute, there's a concourse held on Amelia Island now?!?!?!?!?!

Oh, yeah. It's a big one. Great for photographers because the cars
are spread out in an open area.

--

On 11/17/2012 1:23 AM, Rich wrote:
> PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:50a3aea3$0$15635
> $(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
>
>> On 11/13/2012 11:55 PM, Rich wrote:
>>> PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:50a300ea$0$15580
>>> $(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:

> kept:

> xVwN57b/0/X2/2012-
>>> 11

> face.

> background,

>>> Thanks, the gull was shot very close with a 350mm mirror lens (Tamron)
>>> and a Pentax APS so it was tight.
>>>

>> Two years ago a took my Nikon 500 mirror out of retirement. But was not
>> happy with the results. I will probably try it on an FX.
>>

> If the blur donuts bother you, if you avoid situations with specular
> highlights, you generally won't see them. It's not easy to do,
> especially since people tend to use slow lenses when the sun is out which
> like lights at night, tend to create specular hightlights.

My images weren't crispy sharp. It could be the lens, it could be the
sensor, or it could be me. I was using a tripod. Since I was not happy
when I used the lens on film, it is me or the lens.

--
Peter