Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > web hosting

web hosting

nospam

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:44:00 +1300, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>How important is it for a non-commercial site to be concerned about
>the rare loss of the international cable?

Suppose the international cable was broken for a week or more or
suppose hostgator servers stopped working for whatever reason. Is
there any way to temporarily redirect a web address to a local server?

Enkidu

On 20/11/12 10:50, nospam wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:44:00 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>> How important is it for a non-commercial site to be concerned about
>> the rare loss of the international cable?
>>

> Suppose the international cable was broken for a week or more or
> suppose hostgator servers stopped working for whatever reason. Is
> there any way to temporarily redirect a web address to a local server?

Suppose Christmas was cancelled. Suppose the moon fell down and landed
on Ekatahuna.

The first is extremely unlikely. In the second case it is simple enough
to transfer to another server. If you have another server up and ready
to go, you can just switch DNS to point to the new one.

Cheers,

Cliff

nospam

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:48:45 +1300, Enkidu
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 20/11/12 10:50, nospam wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:44:00 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>> How important is it for a non-commercial site to be concerned about
>>> the rare loss of the international cable?
>>>

>> Suppose the international cable was broken for a week or more or
>> suppose hostgator servers stopped working for whatever reason. Is
>> there any way to temporarily redirect a web address to a local server?
>>

>Suppose Christmas was cancelled. Suppose the moon fell down and landed
>on Ekatahuna.

What a stupid comment. Hostgator servers are in Texas where they have
hurricanes, floods and fires.

Suppose you got run over by a bus (I wish). It's not very likely but
you have life insurance don't you.

On 20/11/12 12:05, nospam wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:48:45 +1300, Enkidu
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Suppose the international cable was broken for a week or more or
>>> suppose hostgator servers stopped working for whatever reason.
>>> Is there any way to temporarily redirect a web address to a local
>>> server?
>>>

>> Suppose Christmas was cancelled. Suppose the moon fell down and
>> landed on Ekatahuna.

> What a stupid comment. Hostgator servers are in Texas where they
> have hurricanes, floods and fires.

Sure and a server in Florida hosts my site, and it has never been down
except for brief periods. Actually I can't recall it being down at all,
but in all probability it has had a few outages.

Cheers,

Cliff