Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Tripods

Re: Tripods

Robert Coe

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 00:02:05 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
: Can anyone suggest a decent mini-tripod for a pro-sumer camera?
: I'll be using it with a Fujifilm HS30EXR and while I want small,
: so I can put it in the case, I want sturdy too. Thanks.

Last I looked, B&H had affordable tripods from two or three Chinese
manufacturers. I have two tripods (table-top and full size) of the "Benro"
brand that I bought there. Both are beefy and have decent ball heads. Both
tripods and heads come in various sizes, so that you can match the
load-bearing capacity of each to your requirements.

Tripod manufacturers, like camera manufacturers, seem to provide their wares
in several parallel lines that differ from one another in subtle ways (such as
whether you can use them as monopods, etc.). So read the descriptions
carefully, and make a choice based on your specific needs.

Bob

tony cooper

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:15:45 -0500, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tripod manufacturers, like camera manufacturers, seem to provide their wares
>in several parallel lines that differ from one another in subtle ways (such as
>whether you can use them as monopods, etc.). So read the descriptions
>carefully, and make a choice based on your specific needs.

I don't quite follow the statement about some tripods being capable of
being used as monopods. Aren't all of them capable of this?

I used my tripod as a monopod yesterday for a few shots. It's not
advertised as being usable as a monopod, but I extended only one leg
for a few shots where a slower shutter speed was being used, but not a
shutter speed so slow that the steadiness of full tripod use would
have been required. Worked fine.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Robert Coe

:
: >Tripod manufacturers, like camera manufacturers, seem to provide their
: >wares in several parallel lines that differ from one another in subtle
: >ways (such as whether you can use them as monopods, etc.). So read the
: >descriptions carefully, and make a choice based on your specific needs.
:
: I don't quite follow the statement about some tripods being capable of
: being used as monopods. Aren't all of them capable of this?
:
: I used my tripod as a monopod yesterday for a few shots. It's not
: advertised as being usable as a monopod, but I extended only one leg
: for a few shots where a slower shutter speed was being used, but not a
: shutter speed so slow that the steadiness of full tripod use would
: have been required. Worked fine.

B&H carries a line of Benro tripods in which one of the legs detaches to form
a monopod. My Benros don't have that feature, so I can't comment on how well
it works.

Bob

tony cooper

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:49:58 -0500, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2012.11.12 10:34 , tony cooper wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:15:45 -0500, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Tripod manufacturers, like camera manufacturers, seem to provide their wares
>>> in several parallel lines that differ from one another in subtle ways (such as
>>> whether you can use them as monopods, etc.). So read the descriptions
>>> carefully, and make a choice based on your specific needs.

>> I don't quite follow the statement about some tripods being capable of
>> being used as monopods. Aren't all of them capable of this?
>>
>> I used my tripod as a monopod yesterday for a few shots. It's not
>> advertised as being usable as a monopod, but I extended only one leg
>> for a few shots where a slower shutter speed was being used, but not a
>> shutter speed so slow that the steadiness of full tripod use would
>> have been required. Worked fine.

>Most tripods make usable monopods or bipods when needed. Do it from
>time to time and wouldn't even think of it being unusual.
>
>It's about carrying more weight/bulk than a monopod and the benefit of a
>tripod v. carrying only a monopod and having less stability.

I have a tripod and a monopod. The difference in weight between the
two is minimal. The difference in bulk is a little more than minimal,
but if I have to carry an extra object, it's not that much more of a
problem to carry the tripod. I rarely use the monopod.

What I gain is versatility. I can extend one leg as a monopod, or
three legs as a tripod.

My tripod is not one of those heavy monsters, though. It's fairly
light-weight with a ball head. I'm not out in high winds or standing
on a moving ice floe. I've never felt that I would be any better off
with a heavier tripod.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Whisky-dave

On Monday, November 12, 2012 3:34:50 PM UTC, tony cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:15:45 -0500, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >Tripod manufacturers, like camera manufacturers, seem to provide their wares

> >in several parallel lines that differ from one another in subtle ways (such as

> >whether you can use them as monopods, etc.). So read the descriptions

> >carefully, and make a choice based on your specific needs.

> I don't quite follow the statement about some tripods being capable of
>
> being used as monopods. Aren't all of them capable of this?

aren't they all capable of being used as bipods too

For me a monopod would only have one leg that I needed to carry about, a bipod would have two and a tripod three, an iPod would be legless.

> I used my tripod as a monopod yesterday for a few shots. It's not
>
> advertised as being usable as a monopod, but I extended only one leg
>
> for a few shots where a slower shutter speed was being used, but not a
>
> shutter speed so slow that the steadiness of full tripod use would
>
> have been required. Worked fine.

For that reason I always use a bipod unless I find a good reason to stand on one leg while taking a photgraph

Chris Malcolm

tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:49:58 -0500, Alan Browne
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I don't quite follow the statement about some tripods being capable of
>>> being used as monopods. Aren't all of them capable of this?
>>>
>>> I used my tripod as a monopod yesterday for a few shots. It's not
>>> advertised as being usable as a monopod, but I extended only one leg
>>> for a few shots where a slower shutter speed was being used, but not a
>>> shutter speed so slow that the steadiness of full tripod use would
>>> have been required. Worked fine.

>>Most tripods make usable monopods or bipods when needed. Do it from
>>time to time and wouldn't even think of it being unusual.
>>
>>It's about carrying more weight/bulk than a monopod and the benefit of a
>>tripod v. carrying only a monopod and having less stability.

> I have a tripod and a monopod. The difference in weight between the
> two is minimal. The difference in bulk is a little more than minimal,
> but if I have to carry an extra object, it's not that much more of a
> problem to carry the tripod. I rarely use the monopod.

> What I gain is versatility. I can extend one leg as a monopod, or
> three legs as a tripod.

> My tripod is not one of those heavy monsters, though. It's fairly
> light-weight with a ball head. I'm not out in high winds or standing
> on a moving ice floe. I've never felt that I would be any better off
> with a heavier tripod.

That's why I have three tripods -- a small folding very light tripod
for easily carrying just in case; a full size light tripod for most
tripod work; a heavy solid tripod for difficult conditions like gusty
winds, and which is very versatile in where you can place the legs and
head -- you could mount it up in a tree braced against branches amd
take a macro shot of something an inch from one of its feet.

I have two monopods because they're much faster and easier to deploy
than a tripod pretending to be a monopod and are strong enough to be
used as a walking pole in difficult terrain. The light weight one is
for everyday carry. The heavier one has three little fold out legs
which can turn it into a wobbly tripod. Useful for longer exposures in
calm interiors like churches and museums, for taking shots of me doing
something, and can be pressed into service as a light stand for a
remote flash.

--
Chris Malcolm