Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures

best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures

sobriquet

On Friday, November 9, 2012 12:09:22 AM UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
> | http://imgur.com/Ea90w
>

> | Here I've marked where they say you have to mention a link back to
>
> | their site when you want to share the image elsewhere online.
>

> The front page says this:

> Royalty free stock photos. All pictures are free for commercial and personal
>
> use.
>
> Welcome to Public Domain Pictures
>
> Public Domain Pictures.net is a repository for free public domain images.
>
> You can download high quality photos or upload your own pictures. Raise
>
> money for charity, gain popularity and improve your photographic and graphic
>
> skills.
>

> If you intend to use an image you find here for commercial use, please be
>
> aware that some photos do require a model or property release. Pictures
>
> featuring products should be used with care.
>

> The pictures are free for you to use and you should feel good about doing
>
> so. If you enjoy your visit, please tell your friends about Public Domain
>
> Pictures.net.

> The picture I looked at said they would like a link but
>
> didn't say you have to.

You didn't see my version where I marked their statement that
a link back to the source was mandatory?

> If there are terms somewhere that say otherwise I
>
> can't find them.
>

> | You don't need to register or anything to obtain pictures
>
> | at publicdomainpictures.net because you can simply click on the image
>
> | to see a large version and then you can easily obtain the image by
>
> | right-clicking it and picking "save image as.." from the context-menu.
>

> Yes, I tried that. I got a 55 KB JPG.
>
> In other words, the image on the page is
>
> a very low quality image, just barely good
>
> enough for website display.

Then you got the small version. The version I got was 155 kb
and 1280x853, which is decent (though not fantastic).
Certainly potentially useful for extracting elements that
can be reused in photoshop.

sobriquet

On Friday, November 9, 2012 12:26:27 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-11-08 15:13:55 -0800, "Mayayana" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

> > | Btw, a cool feature of imgur is that you can share images via

> > | their weblink. So in that fashion, imgur gets the image directly

> > | from the publicdomainpictures site. It even creates a weblink below

> > | the image that links back to the source at publicdomainpictures.

> > So you can send me a link that sends me to

> > a website that hosts a stolen image from a

> > website for which you could have just sent me

> > a link in the first place??

> > I don't get it.

> Sobriquet likes free stuff, and stuff he can hijack. He believes that
>
> everything should be free once it has had the slightest sniff of the
>
> internet.
>
> He believes copyrighted images, original work, movies, software and
>
> service TOS's are an interference to his thievery.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>

> Savageduck

There is no such thing as theft on the internet as far as
filesharing is concerned.

Copyright infringement is potentially committed in case of
filesharing, but that very much depends on local legislation.
Like in the Netherlands where I live, it's perfectly legal
to download most content (pictures, movies, books, video, etc..)
for personal use, regardless of any intellectual property
claims.

Mayayana

| You didn't see my version where I marked their statement that
| a link back to the source was mandatory?

No. If you can't give me a link to the page
then what does it mean to see a picture? That
doesn't make sense. On the other hand, you've
just said in another post that you feel no shame
and incur no legal risk in taking and using
anything you find online, so I don't understand
why you care about the requirements of that
site.

I do find this an interesting topic, though. While
I don't want to use other peoples' property
illegally or discourteously, I would be interested
to know about sources of no-strings-attached
photos. I've been surprised, when I have looked
for such things, at the lack of generosity.

sobriquet

On Friday, November 9, 2012 2:44:19 AM UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
> | You didn't see my version where I marked their statement that
>
> | a link back to the source was mandatory?
>

> No. If you can't give me a link to the page
>
> then what does it mean to see a picture? That
>
> doesn't make sense.

You presented a link to a picture of red christmass balls.
I've taken a screenshot of that very same webpage where I've
marked their statement that a reference back to the source is
mandatory for online sharing of the free picture.

> On the other hand, you've
>
> just said in another post that you feel no shame
>
> and incur no legal risk in taking and using
>
> anything you find online, so I don't understand
>
> why you care about the requirements of that
>
> site.

Because, while I'm free to download all the pictures I like,
and use these pictures in photoshop to create new images. However,
I can't share these newly created images online. That will result
in harassment from the people who claim the source images as
their intellectual property.

> I do find this an interesting topic, though. While
>
> I don't want to use other peoples' property
>
> illegally or discourteously, I would be interested
>
> to know about sources of no-strings-attached
>
> photos.

Well, that was exactly my original motivation to start this
thread.

> I've been surprised, when I have looked
>
> for such things, at the lack of generosity.

I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of generosity, but
more with coming up with a suitable business model to operate
such a website. If it would be very popular (say, on par with wikipedia,
which is also a kind of grass-roots approach to sharing information),
perhaps ad revenues would suffice to cover the costs of hosting
all the content. Especially when it employs the bittorrent protocol
as a method for distributing content (to limit the required bandwidth,
even in case of large files and many people simultaneously downloading
popular content).

sobriquet

On Friday, November 9, 2012 4:12:25 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

> >> No. If you can't give me a link to the page

> >> then what does it mean to see a picture? That

> >> doesn't make sense.

> > You presented a link to a picture of red christmass balls.

> > I've taken a screenshot of that very same webpage where I've

> > marked their statement that a reference back to the source is

> > mandatory for online sharing of the free picture.

> I think you need to reread what they wrote:
>
> "This image is public domain. You may use this picture for any purpose,
>
> including commercial. If you do use it, please consider linking back to
>
> us. If you are going to redistribute this image online, a hyperlink to
>
> this particular page is mandatory."
>

> Note that use of the image, even in a commercial is permitted. They ask
>
> you to "CONSIDER" linking back to them if you use it.
>
> Consider is not mandatory.
>

> Then if you are going to "redistribute", (that is not "sharing") the
>
> image, you are to make use of their hyperlink to the image. This is
>
> their mandatory demand. Meaning that they are retaining the sole right
>
> to distribute/redistribute the image.
>
> This means you cannot download the image and redistribute it, unaltered
>
> yourself. If you want to "share" the unaltered image with somebody
>
> else, they are telling you that should only be done by sending your
>
> recipient their hyperlink, not yours, or your downloaded binary of
>
> their unaltered original image.

The way I read it, it's fine for me to download the image and upload
it at another site like imgur. Whether it's modified or not is
irrelevant, because "this image" can still refer to the same picture,
even when it has been slightly modified.
They just require me to ensure there is a link back to the
source where I obtained the image.
Distribution and sharing often boils down to the same thing, like when I
upload an image from that publicdomainpictures site to the imgur site.

> That means if you have use the image in, or as part of a work of your
>
> creation, they would appreciate a link back to their site, but do not
>
> demand it. Your work is yours to distribute as you feel free to, as you
>
> have not returned the new finished work to them for distribution.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>

> Savageduck

sobriquet

On Friday, November 9, 2012 4:32:19 AM UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
> On Friday, November 9, 2012 4:12:25 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

> > > You presented a link to a picture of red christmass balls.

> > > I've taken a screenshot of that very same webpage where I've

> > > marked their statement that a reference back to the source is

> > > mandatory for online sharing of the free picture.

> > I think you need to reread what they wrote:

> > "This image is public domain. You may use this picture for any purpose,

> > including commercial. If you do use it, please consider linking back to

> > us. If you are going to redistribute this image online, a hyperlink to

> > this particular page is mandatory."

> > Note that use of the image, even in a commercial is permitted. They ask

> > you to "CONSIDER" linking back to them if you use it.

> > Consider is not mandatory.

> > Then if you are going to "redistribute", (that is not "sharing") the

> > image, you are to make use of their hyperlink to the image. This is

> > their mandatory demand. Meaning that they are retaining the sole right

> > to distribute/redistribute the image.

> > This means you cannot download the image and redistribute it, unaltered

> > yourself. If you want to "share" the unaltered image with somebody

> > else, they are telling you that should only be done by sending your

> > recipient their hyperlink, not yours, or your downloaded binary of

> > their unaltered original image.

> The way I read it, it's fine for me to download the image and upload
>
> it at another site like imgur. Whether it's modified or not is
>
> irrelevant, because "this image" can still refer to the same picture,
>
> even when it has been slightly modified.
>
> They just require me to ensure there is a link back to the
>
> source where I obtained the image.
>
> Distribution and sharing often boils down to the same thing, like when I
>
> upload an image from that publicdomainpictures site to the imgur site.
>

> > That means if you have use the image in, or as part of a work of your

> > creation, they would appreciate a link back to their site, but do not

> > demand it. Your work is yours to distribute as you feel free to, as you

> > have not returned the new finished work to them for distribution.

> > --

> > Regards,

> > Savageduck

I've contacted them in order for them to clarify their statement and whether I'm reading it correctly in my assumption I can share images from their site
on other sites, provided I include a link back to the source.

So for instance, like this:

http://imgur.com/pPAUn

Gordon Freeman

>> What's the best online place where people share pictures in order to
>> create a shared library of pictures that can be used freely (for
>> instance, to use in photoshop compositions that can be shared
>> online again without the risk of copyright infringement complaints)?

Wikimedia Commons has a lot of good images:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categoryhotographs

They're free to use for any purpose with the caveat that many photographers
require a by-line - check the licence on the individual pics.