Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Inkjet printer problem

Inkjet printer problem

Gib Bogle

My Canon Pixma iP3000 has suddenly stopped printing exactly half of the
column of black pixels. That is, I get about 6.5 mm of the total width
of 13 mm that it should print in one sweep. This is so clear cut (and
happened from one print to the next) that I don't believe it is an issue
of blocked jets. Anyway, I've done many cycles of jet cleaning, taken
the print head off and cleaned it with alcohol, all to no avail. It is
as if control to the jets on half of the black print head has been
turned off.

I wonder if anyone else has ever seen a symptom like this.

Thanks
Gib

Frank Williams

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 17:34:39 +1300, Gib Bogle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My Canon Pixma iP3000 has suddenly stopped printing exactly half of the
>column of black pixels. That is, I get about 6.5 mm of the total width
>of 13 mm that it should print in one sweep. This is so clear cut (and
>happened from one print to the next) that I don't believe it is an issue
>of blocked jets. Anyway, I've done many cycles of jet cleaning, taken
>the print head off and cleaned it with alcohol, all to no avail. It is
>as if control to the jets on half of the black print head has been
>turned off.
>
>I wonder if anyone else has ever seen a symptom like this.
>
>Thanks
>Gib

What about a burned out head as that is what Bubble Jets do, a lot of
Canon printers has user replaceable print heads.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My Canon Pixma iP3000 has suddenly stopped printing exactly half of the
>column of black pixels. That is, I get about 6.5 mm of the total width
>of 13 mm that it should print in one sweep. This is so clear cut (and
>happened from one print to the next) that I don't believe it is an issue
>of blocked jets. Anyway, I've done many cycles of jet cleaning, taken
>the print head off and cleaned it with alcohol, all to no avail. It is
>as if control to the jets on half of the black print head has been
>turned off.
>
>I wonder if anyone else has ever seen a symptom like this.
>
>Thanks
>Gib

Yes they use a very small wire element that causes the ink to bubble, as
they use Water or Alcohol based Ink that does not help the print head to
last, I think I read some ware that 2 years was a expected life span,
but that would depend on how much its used.

This is why I stick to Epson, its a Real Ink Jet.

Handy One

On 8/11/2012 5:34 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> My Canon Pixma iP3000 has suddenly stopped printing exactly half of the
> column of black pixels. That is, I get about 6.5 mm of the total width
> of 13 mm that it should print in one sweep. This is so clear cut (and
> happened from one print to the next) that I don't believe it is an issue
> of blocked jets. Anyway, I've done many cycles of jet cleaning, taken
> the print head off and cleaned it with alcohol, all to no avail. It is
> as if control to the jets on half of the black print head has been
> turned off.
>
> I wonder if anyone else has ever seen a symptom like this.
>
> Thanks
> Gib

A weak solution of bleach and warm water cleans print heads far better
and easier than alcohol. Just soak the print head for a while, then dab
it lightly with some clean tissue paper to dry it. If that doesn't do
the trick, the print head is stuffed.

Gib Bogle

On 8/11/2012 5:34 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> My Canon Pixma iP3000 has suddenly stopped printing exactly half of the
> column of black pixels. That is, I get about 6.5 mm of the total width
> of 13 mm that it should print in one sweep. This is so clear cut (and
> happened from one print to the next) that I don't believe it is an issue
> of blocked jets. Anyway, I've done many cycles of jet cleaning, taken
> the print head off and cleaned it with alcohol, all to no avail. It is
> as if control to the jets on half of the black print head has been
> turned off.
>
> I wonder if anyone else has ever seen a symptom like this.
>
> Thanks
> Gib

Thanks for the suggestions about possible breaks in the signal path. I
suspect I'm going to need a new print head (if that's buyable). Or a
new printer.

Gib Bogle

On 9/11/2012 2:49 p.m., Tony wrote:

>> Thanks for the suggestions about possible breaks in the signal path. I
>> suspect I'm going to need a new print head (if that's buyable). Or a
>> new printer.

> The printhead is available but not cheap. Maybe cheaper to look at a new
> printer.

That's what I was thinking.

> See
> http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire/def...l&pf_id=493199
> but out of stock.
> It may be in stock elsewhere, or overseas
> like http://www.securesysteminsight.co.uk..._QY6_0064.html
> You would need to shop around, there may be cheaper sources.
> Good luck
> Tony

Thanks Tony.

Seagull

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message news:k7iaen$g65$(E-Mail Removed)...

On 9/11/2012 2:49 p.m., Tony wrote:

>> Thanks for the suggestions about possible breaks in the signal path. I
>> suspect I'm going to need a new print head (if that's buyable). Or a
>> new printer.

> The printhead is available but not cheap. Maybe cheaper to look at a new
> printer.

That's what I was thinking.

> See
> http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire/def...l&pf_id=493199
> but out of stock.
> It may be in stock elsewhere, or overseas
> like http://www.securesysteminsight.co.uk..._QY6_0064.html
> You would need to shop around, there may be cheaper sources.
> Good luck
> Tony

Thanks Tony.

I suggest checking out Trademe
I bought a similar model printer for $5.00 and got a working print head off
it.Then I junked the rest.

Many people auction their printer when the cartridges run out as it as
almost as cheap to by a new printer as a set of ink cartridges.
I also bought another Canon printer for $1.00 with a jammed paper feed just
for the CD tray.
I turned it over and a marble fell out. That fixed it and it is still going
strong 2 years later.

Gib Bogle

On 10/11/2012 12:21 a.m., Seagull wrote:

> I suggest checking out Trademe
> I bought a similar model printer for $5.00 and got a working print head
> off it.Then I junked the rest.

That thought had occurred to me.

> Many people auction their printer when the cartridges run out as it as
> almost as cheap to by a new printer as a set of ink cartridges.
> I also bought another Canon printer for $1.00 with a jammed paper feed
> just for the CD tray.
> I turned it over and a marble fell out. That fixed it and it is still
> going strong 2 years later.

Good score!

Gib Bogle

I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJzLSBhs9w

Gib Bogle

On 10/11/2012 1:34 p.m., Tony wrote:
> Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I found this:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJzLSBhs9w

> Yes go for it, I doubt it will fix the problem but you may feel better.
> By the way. The ip3000 was a good printer when released.
> Canon printers suffer from head clogs less often than most makes and they can
> often be left unused for weeks without a hitch (unlike Epson, Epson printers
> need regular use to prevent head clogs but have arguably better photo quality).
> Tony

I've been happy with it (never had a head clog) except for the fact that
I never managed to figure out how to access it from W7 when it was a
network printer (connected to the ADSL router).

Someone is selling an iP3000 in "excellent" condition on TradeMe for
buy-now at $45. That seems a bit high, since I don't recall it costing
much more than that new, although that was a few years ago and my memory
is getting a bit unreliable.

Here's a possible lead on the printhead problem that you might like to
comment on. Getting sick of the periodic refusal to print because the
coloured inks were empty (I use only black) I had the bright idea of
putting water in them to make them seem full. It was a week or so after
this that the problem developed. Is this coincidence or causality?