Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Oracle Java or Open Java?

Re: Oracle Java or Open Java?

Arved Sandstrom

On 11/07/2012 07:42 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Last time I remember any discussion of using the Open JDK there was a
> general opinion that Sun^WOracle Java was still the way to go.
>
> Is this still the case?

I'm willing to give the OpenJDK a shot, especially on OS's where it
comes by default, but at the first sign of problems I switch to Oracle
JDK. And every so often I have had problems with the OpenJDK.

AHS

Robert Klemme

On 11/08/2012 01:22 AM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> On 11/07/2012 07:42 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> Last time I remember any discussion of using the Open JDK there was a
>> general opinion that Sun^WOracle Java was still the way to go.
>>
>> Is this still the case?
>>

> I'm willing to give the OpenJDK a shot, especially on OS's where it
> comes by default, but at the first sign of problems I switch to Oracle
> JDK. And every so often I have had problems with the OpenJDK.

What kind of issues were those? I am asking because OpenJDK makes up by
far the largest part of OracleJDK AFAIK. It would be interesting to
learn of the differences via those issues.

Kind regards

robert

Arne Vajhøj

On 11/8/2012 12:03 PM, Robert Klemme wrote:
> On 11/08/2012 01:22 AM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>> On 11/07/2012 07:42 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>> Last time I remember any discussion of using the Open JDK there was a
>>> general opinion that Sun^WOracle Java was still the way to go.
>>>
>>> Is this still the case?
>>>

>> I'm willing to give the OpenJDK a shot, especially on OS's where it
>> comes by default, but at the first sign of problems I switch to Oracle
>> JDK. And every so often I have had problems with the OpenJDK.

> What kind of issues were those? I am asking because OpenJDK makes up by
> far the largest part of OracleJDK AFAIK. It would be interesting to
> learn of the differences via those issues.

According to http://jdk7.java.net/source.html the last
OpenJDK release was August 28th as u6.

Oracle Java is at u9 from October 16th.

And given the nature of u7 and u9 then that does
not look good.

Arne

Arved Sandstrom

On 11/08/2012 01:03 PM, Robert Klemme wrote:
> On 11/08/2012 01:22 AM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>> On 11/07/2012 07:42 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>> Last time I remember any discussion of using the Open JDK there was a
>>> general opinion that Sun^WOracle Java was still the way to go.
>>>
>>> Is this still the case?
>>>

>> I'm willing to give the OpenJDK a shot, especially on OS's where it
>> comes by default, but at the first sign of problems I switch to Oracle
>> JDK. And every so often I have had problems with the OpenJDK.

> What kind of issues were those? I am asking because OpenJDK makes up by
> far the largest part of OracleJDK AFAIK. It would be interesting to
> learn of the differences via those issues.
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

I hesitate to say, Robert. I've had issues with *every* JDK I've used in
close to 15 years. Certainly I've had sporadic problems with all of
OpenJDK 6, OpenJDK 7 but also Oracle/Sun JDK 7, so I can't really pin it
down.

I can only say with assurance that I've definitely had some OpenJDK 6/7
problems that were solved by switching to Oracle JDK counterparts,
because that sticks in my mind, and ISTR that these handful of problems
were related to GUI apps, so sometimes a silent failure to launch using
OpenJDK where the app would run properly using Oracle JDK.

FWIW I do use OpenJDK 7 quite often, depending on OS or what software I
am using, and it's very rare that there are problems these days.

AHS

Robert Klemme

On 10.11.2012 01:09, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> On 11/08/2012 01:03 PM, Robert Klemme wrote:
>> On 11/08/2012 01:22 AM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:

>>> JDK. And every so often I have had problems with the OpenJDK.

>> What kind of issues were those? I am asking because OpenJDK makes up by
>> far the largest part of OracleJDK AFAIK. It would be interesting to
>> learn of the differences via those issues.

> I hesitate to say, Robert. I've had issues with *every* JDK I've used in
> close to 15 years. Certainly I've had sporadic problems with all of
> OpenJDK 6, OpenJDK 7 but also Oracle/Sun JDK 7, so I can't really pin it
> down.

Too bad.

> I can only say with assurance that I've definitely had some OpenJDK 6/7
> problems that were solved by switching to Oracle JDK counterparts,
> because that sticks in my mind, and ISTR that these handful of problems
> were related to GUI apps, so sometimes a silent failure to launch using
> OpenJDK where the app would run properly using Oracle JDK.

So you are saying that issues were mostly UI related.

> FWIW I do use OpenJDK 7 quite often, depending on OS or what software I
> am using, and it's very rare that there are problems these days.

Thank you for the reply!

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Florian Weimer

* Arne Vajhj:

>> What kind of issues were those? I am asking because OpenJDK makes up by
>> far the largest part of OracleJDK AFAIK. It would be interesting to
>> learn of the differences via those issues.

> According to http://jdk7.java.net/source.html the last
> OpenJDK release was August 28th as u6.

The source bundles are not regularly updated. You should get the
sources from Mercurial, or use IcedTea, which includes additional
fixes for system compatibility issues.

Florian Weimer

* Martin Gregorie:

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 19:00:03 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> * Arne Vajhj:

>>> According to http://jdk7.java.net/source.html the last OpenJDK release
>>> was August 28th as u6.

>> The source bundles are not regularly updated. You should get the
>> sources from Mercurial, or use IcedTea, which includes additional fixes
>> for system compatibility issues.

> In that case I'm confused:
> Fedora 17 thinks it installed openjdk 1.7.0.9 on October 26

Fedora gets its bits from IcedTea, which it turn uses the Mercurial
forest at, uhm, <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7u/jdk7u/>, I think.

It's indeed a bit confusing.

Arne Vajhj

On 11/11/2012 1:00 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Arne Vajhj:
>
>>> What kind of issues were those? I am asking because OpenJDK makes up by
>>> far the largest part of OracleJDK AFAIK. It would be interesting to
>>> learn of the differences via those issues.

>> According to http://jdk7.java.net/source.html the last
>> OpenJDK release was August 28th as u6.

> The source bundles are not regularly updated. You should get the
> sources from Mercurial, or use IcedTea, which includes additional
> fixes for system compatibility issues.

If one is interested in JDK development or just like to have the
bleeding edge, then that is fine.

But for production usage, then getting latest and greatest source
and build it is not the same as getting a labelled version with
release notes and an expectation that it has passed some testing.

Arne

Florian Weimer

* Arne Vajhj:

> But for production usage, then getting latest and greatest source
> and build it is not the same as getting a labelled version with
> release notes and an expectation that it has passed some testing.

We're talking about OpenJDK. Building from source is the only option.
Oracle does not release binaries, and everyone else has various
patches (system zlib, no crypto restrictions, /usr/lib/jni on the
search path are pretty much unavoidable).

Arne Vajhj

On 11/19/2012 3:46 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Arne Vajhj:
>
>> But for production usage, then getting latest and greatest source
>> and build it is not the same as getting a labelled version with
>> release notes and an expectation that it has passed some testing.

> We're talking about OpenJDK. Building from source is the only option.
> Oracle does not release binaries, and everyone else has various
> patches (system zlib, no crypto restrictions, /usr/lib/jni on the
> search path are pretty much unavoidable).

OpenJDK is not an Oracle product. It is an open source
product hosted on java.net.

And they do have binaries available.

apt-get and yum here http://openjdk.java.net/install/.

Linux and Windows binary here http://jdk7.java.net/java-se-7-ri/.