Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Upgradingto Windows 8

Upgradingto Windows 8

Patrick FitzGerald

Is there any gain in upgrading to Windows 8 if you don't gave a
touch screen?

Patrick

Frank Williams

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 07:47:43 +1300, Patrick FitzGerald <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there any gain in upgrading to Windows 8 if you don't gave a
>touch screen?
>

>Patrick

Yes if you are a sheep, give MS the fingers..

All the TOP IT men have stated that its CRAP

Enkidu

On 05/11/12 07:47, Patrick FitzGerald wrote:

> Is there any gain in upgrading to Windows 8 if you don't gave a
> touch screen?

Maybe. It's too soon to tell.

Cheers,

Cliff

Frank Williams

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 07:47:43 +1300, Patrick FitzGerald <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there any gain in upgrading to Windows 8 if you don't gave a
>touch screen?
>

>Patrick

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06...indows_8_test/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06...erprise_yesno/

Gordon

On 2012-11-05, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/11/2012 7:47 a.m., Patrick FitzGerald wrote:
>>

>> Is there any gain in upgrading to Windows 8 if you don't gave a
>> touch screen?

> That Patrick is a very good question. Windows 8 appears more robust
> than Windows 7, is anecdotally faster than Windows 7, and right now the
> upgrade is cheap. I HATE the user interface with a vengeance for
> exactly the reason you raise above (as it works well in a tablet type
> setting), but I have to say that if it was the only OS I used it
> wouldn't take long to adapt to the "Metro" way of doing things.
>
> I'm stuck with using it at work (I need the RSAT stuff for Server 2012)
> on my PC, and it really annoys me moving between it and the "Start Menu"
> mindset of earlier versions.
>
> It does seem to be the first offering in a long time from Microsoft that
> doesn't need SP1 in order to not be broken so I'd suggest you give it a
> go, but install it on a separate partition if you can so the option to
> regress to the prior OS is still available.

At the risk of repeating myself, installing the Classic Shell (free,
donations accepted) does wonders for the desktop version. The
interface once known as Metro gets out of the way and stays out of
the way. The apps become a menu item.One can pick from a range of styles
past. Having apps avaliable is going to be a good thing in my view.

What is left is an improved windows 7, as in more developed rather
revolutionary. Some people have said a service pack upgrade, which is fair
comment.

Windows explorer gets more buttons to give more control.

Staorage spaces allows one to add another HD and carry on as if more space
has arrived, no sweat. (Not tried this myself)

USB 3 support natively.

The other main point as I see it, is the AS (Application Store). AS are the
new way. New programmes will come from the Ms AS. People will write
programmes and put them on the AS. The AS is the place to go. in short the
AS will be *it*. Some will require $, some not.

As EMB says, it is cheap, for now. So if you are going to do it, do it
before 31 JAN. 2013 when the low price ends, or does it.

By MS standards $50 is very inexpensive.

Touch screens do not work on desktop PCs. Tablets and smart phones are
different. MS really failed to understand this. Put the clasic shell on and
all this talk about tiles and touch screens for Wiondows 8 will seen so
hyped up.

<Quote>

What is Classic Shell?

Classic Shell is a collection of features that were available in older
versions of Windows but were later removed. It has a customizable Start menu
and Start button for Windows 7 and Windows 8, it adds a toolbar for Windows
Explorer and supports a variety of smaller features. Look here for the full
list.
<Unquote>

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

It will change the way you think about and view Windows 8 on the desktop.

Dave Taylor

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:afrt0qFp72rU1
@mid.individual.net:

> What is left is an improved windows 7, as in more developed rather
> revolutionary.

I read that the recovery enhancements sound awesome. Roaming profile on a
USB stick for the corporates!
There are also some major security improvements to things like buffer
overflow protection to the kernel and more. Oh, the USB drive = pool of
storage sounds nifty. I read an article on using Win 8 to replace a home
server, sounded like it was better than freenas.

--
Ciao, Dave

Enkidu

On 07/11/12 07:03, EMB wrote:
> On 6/11/2012 11:12 p.m., Dave Taylor wrote:
>> Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:afrt0qFp72rU1
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>
>>> What is left is an improved windows 7, as in more developed rather
>>> revolutionary.

>> I read that the recovery enhancements sound awesome. Roaming profile
>> on a
>> USB stick for the corporates!

> Roaming profiles are just fscking evil - they break stuff (like Outlook)
> in new and interesting ways. We are in the process of abolishing them
> for our 7000 or so users as from Win7 onwards a redirected desktop and
> favourites covers most user wishes.

Roaming profiles have been an evil way back to Win2000 (and possibly
before). At least they don't get corrupted on a weekly basis like they
did way back. Still, even fixing a small %age of 7000 users probably
means that someone is spending at lot of time just fixing profiles.

Linux uses home directories in a more robust way using mainly text files
rather than Windows fragile user.dat database file. (Note: read this as
comparison of methodologies rather than advocacy - I'm not suggesting
that corporation should rush out and install Linux everywhere).

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On 06/11/12 23:12, Dave Taylor wrote:

> Oh, the USB drive = pool of storage sounds nifty.

I don't think that that was what was meant. I think that this was
referring to the sort of situation where you have play and play RAID
arrays and you run out of space. Just add more disk and dynamically add
it. (Much like the Linux LVM).

Using a USB drive to expand storage (if it is even possible) means that
you are now reliant on the USB drive being permanently connected. I
can't see corporate IT departments adopting that.

Cheers,

Cliff

Bruce Sinclair

In article <k7bjde$rp7$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 6/11/2012 11:12 p.m., Dave Taylor wrote:
>> Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:afrt0qFp72rU1
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>> What is left is an improved windows 7, as in more developed rather
>>> revolutionary.

>> I read that the recovery enhancements sound awesome. Roaming profile on a
>> USB stick for the corporates!

>Roaming profiles are just fscking evil - they break stuff (like Outlook)
>in new and interesting ways. We are in the process of abolishing them
>for our 7000 or so users as from Win7 onwards a redirected desktop and
>favourites covers most user wishes.

... which problem is "fixed" by the corporates where USB devices are
disabled.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>Roaming profiles have been an evil way back to Win2000 (and possibly
>before). At least they don't get corrupted on a weekly basis like they
>did way back. Still, even fixing a small %age of 7000 users probably
>means that someone is spending at lot of time just fixing profiles.
>
>Linux uses home directories in a more robust way using mainly text files
>rather than Windows fragile user.dat database file. (Note: read this as
>comparison of methodologies rather than advocacy - I'm not suggesting
>that corporation should rush out and install Linux everywhere).

I too like the useful config text files. I even liked the windows .ini files
... though finding where the appropriate one was could be hours of fun.

Why hide information with fancy encoding ?? Still haven't seen a good answer
to that question.