Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Google buys NIK!

Re: Google buys NIK!

PeterN

On 11/2/2012 12:10 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> I am not sure what this means for NIK Software, but I got this email
> this morning;
>
> <
> http://view.mailus.niksoftware.com/?...047f721379&r=0
>

> or
>
> < http://tinyurl.com/bk2e96f >

We were discussing this at a NIK workshop I took with Katrin Eisman.
She thinks it will have little short term effect. She had also advised
Adobe to purchase NIK for its u Point technology. She thinks Adobe made
a mistake in not purchasing.
We may expect to see that technology in a new product Google will
introduce. No word on timing, or type.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 11/2/2012 6:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-11-02 15:17:55 -0700, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 16:14:01 -0400, PeterN
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> or
>
> <

>>> We were discussing this at a NIK workshop I took with Katrin Eisman.
>>> She thinks it will have little short term effect. She had also advised
>>> Adobe to purchase NIK for its u Point technology. She thinks Adobe made
>>> a mistake in not purchasing.
>>> We may expect to see that technology in a new product Google will
>>> introduce. No word on timing, or type.

>> I hope it makes its way into Nikon NX2

> They have various stand alone versions now.
> So does OnOne Software.

Until proven otherwise, I have little confidence in Nikon software. I
use Perfect Resize, and just upgraded to the whole suite. So far, for
selections and BW conversions, I use Topaz, although I think Nik makes a
stronger BW conversion product.

--
Peter

nick c

On 11/3/2012 12:03 PM, PeterN wrote:
> On 11/2/2012 6:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2012-11-02 15:17:55 -0700, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> or
>>
>> <

>>> I hope it makes its way into Nikon NX2

>> They have various stand alone versions now.
>> So does OnOne Software.
>>

> Until proven otherwise, I have little confidence in Nikon software. I
> use Perfect Resize, and just upgraded to the whole suite. So far, for
> selections and BW conversions, I use Topaz, although I think Nik makes a
> stronger BW conversion product.

I have NX 2 installed and think it's a very good program though I prefer
to use Adobe PS mostly because I'm used to it and I'm still on a
learning curve. I also use the Perfect Re-size program and Nik (Dfine,
Viveza, HDR, Color Efx pro, Silver Efex pro, and Sharpener pro filters)
and Topaz (DeNoise filters) and, being very satisfied with them all, see
no reason to change.

PeterN

On 11/3/2012 5:06 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 15:03:13 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> or
>>>
>>> <

>>> They have various stand alone versions now.
>>> So does OnOne Software.
>>>

>> Until proven otherwise, I have little confidence in Nikon software. I
>> use Perfect Resize, and just upgraded to the whole suite. So far, for
>> selections and BW conversions, I use Topaz, although I think Nik makes a
>> stronger BW conversion product.

> Nikon transfer is great.
>
> View NX is not too bad, although in some ways I prefer the older
> version 1.
>
> I love NX2 editing software but wish it did more.
>
> Unfortunately there is little evidence that Nikon has it's heart set
> on maintaining the suite.

Some of my friends like it too. They feel it does a better job of RAW
conversion. the last time I tired Capture was about five years ago. If I
cared about precision lens corrections, then I might reconsider. But,
for my work, I am quit satisfied with CS6. (At least until a new version
offering more features that I would use comes out.)

--
Peter

PeterN

On 11/3/2012 8:17 PM, nick c wrote:
> On 11/3/2012 12:03 PM, PeterN wrote:
>> On 11/2/2012 6:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> or
>>>
>>> <

>>> They have various stand alone versions now.
>>> So does OnOne Software.
>>>

>> Until proven otherwise, I have little confidence in Nikon software. I
>> use Perfect Resize, and just upgraded to the whole suite. So far, for
>> selections and BW conversions, I use Topaz, although I think Nik makes a
>> stronger BW conversion product.
>>

> I have NX 2 installed and think it's a very good program though I prefer
> to use Adobe PS mostly because I'm used to it and I'm still on a
> learning curve. I also use the Perfect Re-size program and Nik (Dfine,
> Viveza, HDR, Color Efx pro, Silver Efex pro, and Sharpener pro filters)
> and Topaz (DeNoise filters) and, being very satisfied with them all, see
> no reason to change.

I am still on a learning curve. Each filter, even the ones that seem to
have a similar function, appears to have a different output. It is
interesting experimenting to see which one to use for what output. Of
course by the time I learn them, new versions will appear. To
paraphrase: Good upgrades, stimulate the economy.

--
Peter