Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > cellphoneforever on ebay

cellphoneforever on ebay

nospam

A few days ago I bought an HTC Touch Pro 2 on ebay from a trader
called cellphoneforever

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HTC-Touc...item3f1e3ec74f

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_touch_pro2-2690.php

The ebay condition category is listed as "new other" which means it's
either brand new, never used, or factory second.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-condition.html

The seller describes it as "A brand-new, unlocked, undamaged cell
phone."

I bought it and paid for expedited international shipping. After a
few days I discovered they had sent it to me by standard shipping and
it would take 15 to 25 working days. I communicated with
cellphoneforever and asked them to ship me another one immediately
with fast shipping at their cost but they refused, saying there was no
fast shipping to my country any more and they would refund me $10-00
(the refund should actually be U.S. $25). Ebay/ paypal have opened a
dispute case for me but are now waiting for the cellphone to actualy
be delivered to me.

As a result of this, I discovered that cellphoneforever are actually
mabili international traders
http://mabili123.en.ec21.com/
who sell refurbished cellphones.

At U.S. $90, the price is ok for a used cellphone in good condition a
bargain for a new one. Good value or not, advertising something as
new when it isn't is probably illegal.

Is there any way to tell if the cellphone is actually brand new
unused, apart from scratches on the display or case etc. Do
electronic components exhibit any visible signs of wear?

JohnO

On Wednesday, 31 October 2012 14:13:28 UTC+13, nospam wrote:
> A few days ago I bought an HTC Touch Pro 2 on ebay from a trader
>
> called cellphoneforever
>

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HTC-Touc...item3f1e3ec74f
>

> http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_touch_pro2-2690.php
>

> The ebay condition category is listed as "new other" which means it's
>
> either brand new, never used, or factory second.
>
> http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-condition.html
>

> The seller describes it as "A brand-new, unlocked, undamaged cell
>
> phone."
>

> I bought it and paid for expedited international shipping. After a
>
> few days I discovered they had sent it to me by standard shipping and
>
> it would take 15 to 25 working days. I communicated with
>
> cellphoneforever and asked them to ship me another one immediately
>
> with fast shipping at their cost but they refused, saying there was no
>
> fast shipping to my country any more and they would refund me $10-00
>
> (the refund should actually be U.S. $25). Ebay/ paypal have opened a
>
> dispute case for me but are now waiting for the cellphone to actualy
>
> be delivered to me.
>

> As a result of this, I discovered that cellphoneforever are actually
>
> mabili international traders
>
> http://mabili123.en.ec21.com/
>
> who sell refurbished cellphones.
>

> At U.S. $90, the price is ok for a used cellphone in good condition a
>
> bargain for a new one. Good value or not, advertising something as
>
> new when it isn't is probably illegal.
>

> Is there any way to tell if the cellphone is actually brand new
>
> unused, apart from scratches on the display or case etc. Do
>
> electronic components exhibit any visible signs of wear?

I would check inside the case - many have a moisture indicator that shows whether the thing has been dunked.

nospam

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 21:06:19 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 31/10/2012 2:13 p.m., nospam wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to tell if the cellphone is actually brand new
>> unused, apart from scratches on the display or case etc. Do
>> electronic components exhibit any visible signs of wear?
>>

>Gullible is easier to tell - if it seems too good to be true it probably
>is. Caveat emptor etc.....

Except that large numbers of people are buying from them with 97%
reporting satisfaction.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 21:06:19 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On 31/10/2012 2:13 p.m., nospam wrote:
>>> Is there any way to tell if the cellphone is actually brand new
>>> unused, apart from scratches on the display or case etc. Do
>>> electronic components exhibit any visible signs of wear?
>>>

>>Gullible is easier to tell - if it seems too good to be true it probably
>>is. Caveat emptor etc.....

>Except that large numbers of people are buying from them with 97%
>reporting satisfaction.

That's 3 % that have said they are unhappy. There will probably be more who
don't care enough to complain.

Then there's the people that may not know they have got a refurbished phone
instead of a factory second and would be unhappy if they knew ?

3 % of a lot of sales is already a lot of unhappy people.

And it seems to me that lying about their product is a really good reason to
have nothing to do with them.

JohnO

On Thursday, 1 November 2012 12:13:04 UTC+13, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>Gullible is easier to tell - if it seems too good to be true it probably
> >>is. Caveat emptor etc.....

> >Except that large numbers of people are buying from them with 97%
> >reporting satisfaction.

> That's 3 % that have said they are unhappy. There will probably be more who
> don't care enough to complain.
> Then there's the people that may not know they have got a refurbished phone
> instead of a factory second and would be unhappy if they knew ?
> 3 % of a lot of sales is already a lot of unhappy people.
> And it seems to me that lying about their product is a really good reason to
> have nothing to do with them.

Hmmm...

Anyhoo, if you purchase something with Paypal on Ebay and it doesn't turn up or is not as described etc you can take advantage of Ebay's buyer protection and get the charge reversed.

Richard

On 11/1/2012 2:17 PM, JohnO wrote:
> Hmmm...
>
> Anyhoo, if you purchase something with Paypal on Ebay and it doesn't turn up or is not as described etc you can take advantage of Ebay's buyer protection and get the charge reversed.

Not always. Depends which ebay site you go thru as a friend found out.
Less protection on something he bid on via the .uk one even tho it was
coming from a seller in hong kong.

nospam

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:13:29 +1300, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>A few days ago I bought an HTC Touch Pro 2 on ebay from a trader
>called cellphoneforever
>
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HTC-Touc...item3f1e3ec74f

It finally occurred to me to google "refurbished cellphone"

http://www.thebluedot.net/why-buy-a-...ell-phone.html

susanna13-ca susanna13-ca is offline
Junior Member

In June, 2013, I bought a Sony Ericson Xperia off Ebay from Cellphoneforever. I paid 2/3 less than retail. At least. It only took 6 days to deliver, which is pretty good, from China to Canada. It is in perfect cosmetic condition, so far it works great, and came 'Unlocked' like it was supposed to. I have read these reviews so I took it to an "Unlocking" store and the IEMI #, the Serial#, everything checks out. They looked it over on the inside and also said it looks good. So for those who are concerned they are going to be scammed, here is a good review to ease the panic. 5 stars from me! *****

susanna13-ca susanna13-ca is offline
Junior Member

My phone is perfect! Shipping was quick, I am very satisfied.