Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >...and here is the iOS 6 iPad User Guide.
> >< http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iphone_user_guide.pdf >

> This is the iPhone guide and is of no help as far as I can see.
>
> I know if I go to the local Apple store the young geek behind the
> counter will try to find the answer on Google.

chances are he knows the answer without googling (which is why he's
working there and not you), and he may not be that young either. the
last time i went to an apple store, the genius who helped me was old
enough to be the father of some of the other employees.

> I can probably do that
> as well as he can,

probably not, since 1) you haven't done it yet and 2) the answer has
already been provided, without you needing to google anything.

> but had hoped that someone here would already know.

someone does.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I know if I go to the local Apple store the young geek behind the
> >> counter will try to find the answer on Google.

> >chances are he knows the answer without googling (which is why he's
> >working there and not you), and he may not be that young either. the
> >last time i went to an apple store, the genius who helped me was old
> >enough to be the father of some of the other employees.

> I spoke from experience

so do i. the apple geniuses are all ages. they're generally male but
some are female. they're generally younger but i've had ones in their
50s (maybe even older, i didn't ask). they're usually very competent
and i've yet to see one google for answers.

> >> I can probably do that
> >> as well as he can,

> >probably not, since 1) you haven't done it yet and 2) the answer has
> >already been provided, without you needing to google anything.

> I think you thought you provided the answer and I have asked for
> further information.

what further information do you need? be specific.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What is the risk of addling the iPad's file system by playing around
> with it from outside with a PC?

zero.

> Is it absolutely safe or is there a chance of inadvertantly corrupting
> it?

it's absolutely safe and there is no chance whatsoever of corrupting
anything.

when you plug it into a computer, all that's exposed is the dcim folder
of images in the camera roll, and oddly enough, only on windows. mac
users can't see it in finder for some bizarre reason.

as i said before, it looks like a digital camera to the computer.

everything else is managed by itunes (which is optional, btw, you can
do much of what itunes does on the device).

you *can't* access the system or other user files for that matter over
usb. there's rarely a need to.

however, if you really want to, there is software that can access user
files (not system), such as the one david mentioned. if you go one step
further and jailbreak the ipad, you can then access system files too.
if you go that route, you could potentially screw things up, but it
would need to be a deliberate act, such as opening a plist and
modifying it. it will *not* be accidental.

anyway, based on your questions, i'm curious how you copied the photos
off the ipad, as you claimed you did. did you not plug it into the
computer? did you not notice that nothing bad happened?