Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alfred
Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > What do I do?

> No idea, but I'm glad I didn't buy Apple devices. At least with Android,
> once you connect it via USB, it becomes a mass storage device, allowing
> you to do whatever you want efficiently.

as i said before, if you plug the ipad into a computer, it shows up as
a standard digital camera and then you can copy and delete photos as
you would with any other device, using whatever software you prefer.

why is everyone making this far more complex than it needs to be?

David Taylor

On 30/10/2012 18:25, nospam wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alfred
> Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> What do I do?

>> No idea, but I'm glad I didn't buy Apple devices. At least with Android,
>> once you connect it via USB, it becomes a mass storage device, allowing
>> you to do whatever you want efficiently.

> as i said before, if you plug the ipad into a computer, it shows up as
> a standard digital camera and then you can copy and delete photos as
> you would with any other device, using whatever software you prefer.
>
> why is everyone making this far more complex than it needs to be?

It's not complex, it's just a pain to have to tap 1000 photos
individually when using an iPad alone. No computer....
--
Cheers,
David

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> No idea, but I'm glad I didn't buy Apple devices. At least with Android,
> >> once you connect it via USB, it becomes a mass storage device, allowing
> >> you to do whatever you want efficiently.

> >as i said before, if you plug the ipad into a computer, it shows up as
> >a standard digital camera and then you can copy and delete photos as
> >you would with any other device, using whatever software you prefer.

> I've already considered that. I was concerned that, first, the mapping
> of the images in the PC does not appear to match the albums in the
> iPad.

sort them on the computer.

unless you shot all keepers and in exact order you want, you'll want to
sort and group them and decide which ones to use.

> Second, I didn't know what if anything I could do the iPad's
> file system by just reaching in from the outside and deleting folders.

you can't access the file system.

> Are you saying that it is safe to do this?

are you really asking that? seriously?

has windows corrupted you into thinking everything is fragile?

there's nothing you can do in normal use to brick or even cause minor
problems with an idevice.

> >why is everyone making this far more complex than it needs to be?

> Trying to fill in a gap left by Apple.

funny how google has similar gaps and nobody is complaining.

the only gap is user inflicted.

David Taylor

On 31/10/2012 00:42, nospam wrote:
[]
> you can't access the file system.

[]

Although with iPhone Explorer you /can/.

(Renamed to iExplorer or iDeviceManager and no longer free.)
--
Cheers,
David

nospam

In article <k6ql5d$ta5$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > you can't access the file system.

> Although with iPhone Explorer you /can/.
>
> (Renamed to iExplorer or iDeviceManager and no longer free.)

partially. only user files, not system files (unless you jailbreak).

nearly everyone doesn't need nor care to do any of that. they just want
something that works.

strange how nobody wanted file system access with feature phones.

DanP

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:25:16 PM UTC, nospam wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alfred
>
> Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > > What do I do?

> > No idea, but I'm glad I didn't buy Apple devices. At least with Android,

> > once you connect it via USB, it becomes a mass storage device, allowing

> > you to do whatever you want efficiently.

> as i said before, if you plug the ipad into a computer, it shows up as
>
> a standard digital camera and then you can copy and delete photos as
>
> you would with any other device, using whatever software you prefer.
>

> why is everyone making this far more complex than it needs to be?

Last weekend I had an iPad plugged into my Linux laptop, the photos were infolders with random names, tried to copy all but failed twice and gave up.First the screen went to sleep together with the transfer, second I have no idea. The speed on USB 2 was 10 times slower than my pocket HDD.

I have no doubt is a joy to do it with a Mac. It is not meant to be a compliment.

DanP

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Last weekend I had an iPad plugged into my Linux laptop, the photos were in
> folders with random names, tried to copy all but failed twice and gave up.

linux is not officially supported, although it does work.

> First the screen went to sleep together with the transfer,

so what?

there isn't anything to watch on the display while the transfer occurs.

however, if it really bothers you, set the sleep delay to something
longer, like 'never'.

another example of user error.

> second I have no idea.

that's first, not second. you *definitely* have no idea.

> The speed on USB 2 was 10 times slower than my pocket HDD.

something is wrong with your computer.

the ipad is a usb 2 compliant device that shows up as a digital camera.

if it's transferring at 1/10th the speed then there's something wrong
or misconfigured with your setup.

slow transfer speeds is not normal, and apparently you have no interest
in fixing the problem and would rather just bash.

> I have no doubt is a joy to do it with a Mac. It is not meant to be a compliment.

works fine on windows too. even works on linux.