Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Faster access to MDB? MS Access MDB and ASP

Faster access to MDB? MS Access MDB and ASP

=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

My website has HTML and ASP codes, using database of MS ACCESS.
When i surf html coded pages, its content comes out very quickly, however,
with asp codes, it takes more than 30 seconds to see one page.

I think it happens because asp pages are looking through mdb file
everytime(though they have to).

So, is there any way to show text content on browser first and load DB while
people read things on the page?

IPGrunt

"=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> confessed in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> My website has HTML and ASP codes, using database of MS ACCESS.
> When i surf html coded pages, its content comes out very quickly, however,
> with asp codes, it takes more than 30 seconds to see one page.
>
> I think it happens because asp pages are looking through mdb file
> everytime(though they have to).
>
> So, is there any way to show text content on browser first and load DB

while
> people read things on the page?

Yes, you can unbuffer the page and organize so that something static displays
before the data.

But, why is it taking 30 seconds to retrieve data? That is an unacceptable
wait time for users.

Perhaps you can break this data up or examine your code and optimize?

-- ipgrunt

teknohippy

On 26 Jan 2005 19:35:27 GMT, IPGrunt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> confessed in
>news(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> My website has HTML and ASP codes, using database of MS ACCESS.
>> When i surf html coded pages, its content comes out very quickly, however,
>> with asp codes, it takes more than 30 seconds to see one page.
>>
>> I think it happens because asp pages are looking through mdb file
>> everytime(though they have to).
>>
>> So, is there any way to show text content on browser first and load DB

>while
>> people read things on the page?
>>

>Yes, you can unbuffer the page and organize so that something static displays
>before the data.
>
>But, why is it taking 30 seconds to retrieve data? That is an unacceptable
>wait time for users.
>
>Perhaps you can break this data up or examine your code and optimize?
>
>-- ipgrunt

30 Seconds is a bit crazy even for an MDB.

I've have seen speeds similar before though on shared servers that are
under seriously heavy load.

Is it running on a shared server? Does it run at a different speed
when you run it locally?

If it's that speed locally as well then there is something madly wrong
with the code.

You can use Response.Flush to get stuff chucked to the broswer while
the page continues to be interpreted.

Be aware though if you are flushing inside a table tag nothing will be
flushed until /table is reached as the browser doesn't like to render
half a table.

You can help track down which part of the code is causing the slowness
by using the Timer function. It returns the number of seconds since
midnight.

So at the begining of the page have something like

Dim iStartTime
iStartTime = Timer

Then throughout your code at each point you want a time displayed
chuck in the following:

Response.Write "<p style=""color:red"">" & Timer - iStartTime & "
seconds passed</p>" : Response.Flush

It's not super accurate but we are talking 30 seconds here it won't
matter!

--
Iain Norman | http://www.eliteforum.org

Kevin Spencer

> My website has HTML and ASP codes, using database of MS ACCESS.
> When i surf html coded pages, its content comes out very quickly, however,
> with asp codes, it takes more than 30 seconds to see one page.

Code is like water. It's always singular...

> I think it happens because asp pages are looking through mdb file
> everytime(though they have to).

I think it could be any number of things. It could be the connection speed
of the computer, the amount of traffic on the server, virus software running
on the server, some other server issue, or your "codes." I think I would
look at the last first.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My website has HTML and ASP codes, using database of MS ACCESS.
> When i surf html coded pages, its content comes out very quickly, however,
> with asp codes, it takes more than 30 seconds to see one page.
>
> I think it happens because asp pages are looking through mdb file
> everytime(though they have to).
>
> So, is there any way to show text content on browser first and load DB
> while
> people read things on the page?

Kevin Spencer

Let me elaborate a bit. Working with databases is expensive. Your remark
that "asp pages are looking through mdb file everytime(though they have to)"
indicates an assumption ("they have to") that is probably untrue. Effective
use of caching is important. Good code is also important overall.

BTW, the ASP database newsgroup is microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My website has HTML and ASP codes, using database of MS ACCESS.
> When i surf html coded pages, its content comes out very quickly, however,
> with asp codes, it takes more than 30 seconds to see one page.
>
> I think it happens because asp pages are looking through mdb file
> everytime(though they have to).
>
> So, is there any way to show text content on browser first and load DB
> while
> people read things on the page?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> Code is like water. It's always singular...

My mouth waters whenever anybody mentions ice cream.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========
news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Code is like water. It's always singular...

Kevin Spencer

That is a verb, Juan. You're comparing apples with oranges.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> re:
>> Code is like water. It's always singular...

> My mouth waters whenever anybody mentions ice cream.
>

> Juan T. Llibre
> ASP.NET MVP
> ===========
> news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Code is like water. It's always singular...

Juan T. Llibre

Not to argue, but as a noun
it can be used in the plural, too :

There's 44,100 references to "sea waters" at Google :
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&n...h=&safe=images

There's also usage like "territorial waters" a plural noun which stands
for the area of sea near a country's coast and under its legal control.

And there's also "to fish in troubled waters", also a plural noun.
And there's also "to pour oil on troubled waters", also a plural noun.

See http://dictionary.cambridge.org/resu...rchword=waters
for more examples of usage of "waters" as a noun.

But, this is terrible thread-drift.
Sorry for the thread tangent topic.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is a verb, Juan. You're comparing apples with oranges.
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Microsoft MVP
> .Net Developer
> Neither a follower nor a lender be.
>
> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> re:
>>> Code is like water. It's always singular...

>> My mouth waters whenever anybody mentions ice cream.
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre
>> ASP.NET MVP
>> "Kevin Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Code is like water. It's always singular...

Kevin Spencer

Okay, okay, now we've completely obliterated the meaning of what I was
trying to say. So, what say you - "code" or "codes?"