Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

DanP

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:00:21 AM UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
> This is a problem which touches on digital photograpy and I'm raising
>
> it in the hope that one of the more knowledgeable people here knows
>
> the answer.
>

> Just over two months ago I bought an iPad for the joint use of me and
>
> my wife. I had about two weeks of battle with setting up email
>
> accounts (the damned thing kept changing settings on me) before my
>
> wife set off with it for six weeks overseas. The only thing I managed
>
> to do with photographs was synchronise the iPad with one of the image
>
> directories in my computer.
>

> My wife returned with a swag of photographs copied into the iPad which
>
> she had taken with her camera. The originals remain in her camera. She
>
> had also copied several smaller swags into the iPad which she had
>
> copied from other peoples' cameras. To make matters more complicated
>
> she had edited a considerable number of images in the iPad and wanted
>
> to access the final result for printing
>

> I've now found out how to copy the photographs out of the iPad by
>
> backing up to my computer. What I haven't yet found is an easy way to
>
> delete +1800 images from the "All Imports" folder of the iPad. There
>
> doesn't even seem to be an easy way to select a large number of images
>
> at a time.
>

> Google tells me I'm not the first person to strike this problem and
>
> there are a number of recommended methods on the Internet. A problem
>
> which has emerged is that while my wife was away she accepted the
>
> invitation to upgrade to iOS6 which appears to be slightly different
>
> in it's user interface from the previous versions. Tricks which are
>
> claimed in various forums to make things easier don't seem to exist in
>
> my version of the iPad.
>

> Its not that I'm particularly worried by having to delete +1800 images
>
> one at a time. Its what will happen next that worries me. What happens
>
> when another 5000 images are added? ... then another 3000. Is it
>
> really Apple's intention that the machine fills up until it bursts?
>

> What do I do?
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>

> Eric Stevens

Can you hook it to a computer via USB and delete folders from the computer?

DanP

David Taylor

On 30/10/2012 10:10, DanP wrote:
[]
> Can you hook it to a computer via USB and delete folders from the computer?
>
> DanP

That's exactly what I do, but the directory names are mangled making it
rather guesswork! Why Apple couldn't provide a "select all" option is
beyond me - it seems that no-one must have tested using an iPad alone.
--
Cheers,
David

Doug McDonald

On 10/30/2012 10:26 AM, Savageduck wrote:

> To "Delete" individual, or groups of image files from my iPad or iPhone, I open the "Camera Roll",
> touch the "action" button (the one with the arrow sweeping to the right, and found in the upper
> right corner) select the files I want to delete by touching each one, and having that confirmed by
> seeing the blue check mark on the thumbnail. Then I have the option of deleting those files, all
> quite simple.
> Perhaps, not efficient when trying to manage/delete 100's, or 1000's or image files as one might
> when using a desktop or laptop computer, but simple enough.

yes, exactly ... a perfect example of the Apple philosophy ...
make things VERY hard

I have an iPod. I really wanted a non-Apple product with a better
system, but all the ones I tried failed in 2 weeks or less,
averaging 8 hours of use.

So I bought an iPod. It lasted one year and two weeks then died ...
which made my happy I paid for Best Buy's extended warranty. Several
ones later, they have lasted an average of less than two years ...
but that's better than 8 hours.

But the user interface, including the obligatory iTunes, is
screwed up. Especially on my last one, the Nano that is actually
a grown-up Shuffle. It doesn't shuffle correctly. Nor would
it, originally, play through a long playlist from beginning to end ...
it got lost if turned off over a day. To their credit, a bitch to Apple
by me and lots of others resulted in a software update that fixed that.

But still .... iTunes and the iPod itself have woefully deficient
in tools to actually play whole works of classical music
correctly. There is a trivial solution that works perfectly,
but it is a pain: rename each and every track you load into
iTunes before you do the load ... meaning, don't use iTunes to
rip CDs (you can, of course, with more work.) I rename every
piece of music so one piece corresponds to an "album", whether
it has one track (in some cases, up to 110 minutes!) or 50.
This works. Then I make playlists with a hundred or two
pieces of music ... randomly shuffled ... and load that on my 16 gig
iPod. This works perfectly .... but its a pain: I had to write
a computer program to to the playlist creation.

All of Apple is like that, with other user convenience deficiencies ..
and apparently Windows 8 is acting similarly.

And this thread seems to say that the iPad is similar is useability problems.

Doug McDonald

nospam

In article <k6p18q$u7g$(E-Mail Removed)>, Doug McDonald
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> yes, exactly ... a perfect example of the Apple philosophy ...
> make things VERY hard

nonsense. even babies who haven't learned to talk yet can figure out
how to use apple products.

> I have an iPod. I really wanted a non-Apple product with a better
> system, but all the ones I tried failed in 2 weeks or less,
> averaging 8 hours of use.
>
> So I bought an iPod. It lasted one year and two weeks then died ...
> which made my happy I paid for Best Buy's extended warranty. Several
> ones later, they have lasted an average of less than two years ...
> but that's better than 8 hours.

you got unlucky. i have several idevices, including a 10 year old ipod,
and none of them have failed prematurely.

> But the user interface, including the obligatory iTunes, is
> screwed up. Especially on my last one, the Nano that is actually
> a grown-up Shuffle. It doesn't shuffle correctly.

what is 'shuffle correctly'? shuffle picks music at random. sometimes
it might pick a song you don't like. that's what random *means*.

> Nor would
> it, originally, play through a long playlist from beginning to end ...
> it got lost if turned off over a day.

you did something to make it stop in the middle.

> To their credit, a bitch to Apple
> by me and lots of others resulted in a software update that fixed that.

it wasn't broken.

> But still .... iTunes and the iPod itself have woefully deficient
> in tools to actually play whole works of classical music
> correctly. There is a trivial solution that works perfectly,
> but it is a pain: rename each and every track you load into
> iTunes before you do the load ... meaning, don't use iTunes to
> rip CDs (you can, of course, with more work.)

nonsense. first of all, it works just fine with classical. second, the
names of the songs do not matter. itunes and ipods use id3 tags.

also, if you use itunes, it adds the id3 tags automatically, so it's
*less* work. you can edit them if you want to tweak it. if you use
something else, the id3 tags may be incorrect, and you will have
problems.

> I rename every
> piece of music so one piece corresponds to an "album", whether
> it has one track (in some cases, up to 110 minutes!) or 50.

you're making more work for yourself, and it's no wonder you're having
other problems.

> This works.

it really doesn't. it's the most convoluted way to do something.

> Then I make playlists with a hundred or two
> pieces of music ... randomly shuffled ... and load that on my 16 gig
> iPod. This works perfectly .... but its a pain: I had to write
> a computer program to to the playlist creation.

you are *really* making more work for yourself. *none* of this is
required.

> All of Apple is like that, with other user convenience deficiencies ..
> and apparently Windows 8 is acting similarly.
>
> And this thread seems to say that the iPad is similar is useability problems.

not at all. deleting photos is trivial.

David Taylor

On 30/10/2012 15:26, Savageduck wrote:
[]
> To "Delete" individual, or groups of image files from my iPad or iPhone,
> I open the "Camera Roll", touch the "action" button (the one with the
> arrow sweeping to the right, and found in the upper right corner) select
> the files I want to delete by touching each one, and having that
> confirmed by seeing the blue check mark on the thumbnail. Then I have
> the option of deleting those files, all quite simple.
> Perhaps, not efficient when trying to manage/delete 100's, or 1000's or
> image files as one might when using a desktop or laptop computer, but
> simple enough.

Not a matter of simplicity, it's usability. Touching each photo is fine
if you have a small number to delete, but I take a hundred photos a day
or more when on holiday, and I don't expect to have to touch a thousand
images or more at the end of the trip. A select all option, or the
ability to delete a day at a time is an obvious requirement which Apple
have missed.

Crazy!
--
Cheers,
David

nospam

In article <2012103010272560298-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> >> And this thread seems to say that the iPad is similar is useability
> >> problems.

> > not at all. deleting photos is trivial.

> Agreed. There seems to be a handful of individuals unable to wrap their
> Windows centric thinking around the simple task of deleting images from
> iPad or iPhone.

definitely. windows and especially linux conditions people into making
things harder than it needs to be.

nospam

In article <k6p52c$pul$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > To "Delete" individual, or groups of image files from my iPad or iPhone,
> > I open the "Camera Roll", touch the "action" button (the one with the
> > arrow sweeping to the right, and found in the upper right corner) select
> > the files I want to delete by touching each one, and having that
> > confirmed by seeing the blue check mark on the thumbnail. Then I have
> > the option of deleting those files, all quite simple.
> > Perhaps, not efficient when trying to manage/delete 100's, or 1000's or
> > image files as one might when using a desktop or laptop computer, but
> > simple enough.

> Not a matter of simplicity, it's usability. Touching each photo is fine
> if you have a small number to delete, but I take a hundred photos a day
> or more when on holiday, and I don't expect to have to touch a thousand
> images or more at the end of the trip. A select all option, or the
> ability to delete a day at a time is an obvious requirement which Apple
> have missed.

aren't you going to want to copy the photos to your computer?

after you copy the photos and with the ipad still connected, select all
and delete. in fact, some software can be configured to delete the
photos automatically when you copy photos, so there's nothing
additional to do.

David Taylor

On 30/10/2012 18:25, nospam wrote:
[]
> aren't you going to want to copy the photos to your computer?

Not necessarily, no. I may be using my iPad as an in-the-field backup
storage device, reading from the camera's SD card.

> after you copy the photos and with the ipad still connected, select all
> and delete. in fact, some software can be configured to delete the
> photos automatically when you copy photos, so there's nothing
> additional to do.

I didn't take a second computer with me - hand luggage only, so the iPad
was /all/ I had. It is functionally lacking you have to admit, when it
needs a thousand taps to delete a week's photos.
--
Cheers,
David

David Taylor

On 30/10/2012 18:35, Savageduck wrote:
[]
> What is crazy is taking a hundred photos a day with an iPad or iPhone.
> For that I use my D300S and/or G11.
> I transfer D300S and G11 shots back to the iPad to place in albums for
> side shows and other sharing. My primary backup storage is my 500GB
> Colorspace UDMA not my 64GB iPad or 32GB iPhone.
> I remove images from the iPad as needed, I concede that a delete all
> option would be useful.

Yes, a delete option would indeed be useful.

The hundreds of photos are coming from various other cameras, with the
iPad being used both for backup storage and display. You might also
load pictures /onto/ the iPad to have albums to show to others.
--
Cheers,
David

nospam

In article <k6pa24$vfq$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > aren't you going to want to copy the photos to your computer?

> Not necessarily, no. I may be using my iPad as an in-the-field backup
> storage device, reading from the camera's SD card.
>
> > after you copy the photos and with the ipad still connected, select all
> > and delete. in fact, some software can be configured to delete the
> > photos automatically when you copy photos, so there's nothing
> > additional to do.

> I didn't take a second computer with me - hand luggage only, so the iPad
> was /all/ I had. It is functionally lacking you have to admit, when it
> needs a thousand taps to delete a week's photos.

delete them when you get home. since they're your backup, why would you
want to delete them in the field?

sure it would be nice to have a select all, but it's also a piece of
cake to delete them from a computer. in fact, it's even easier to
delete them on a windows pc than on a mac.