Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

David Taylor

On 30/10/2012 20:55, Savageduck wrote:
[]
> BTW: I currently have 460 processed and resized image files in 24
> albums, taking up 0.2GB of space, plenty good for my portfolio purpose,
> and easily controllable. Not particularly great as a primary in field
> backup where 2 x 16GB cards would stress the iPad to its limit.

Yes, if they are moderate static. When making up a "slide-show" we tend
to customise each show for the interests of the viewer. Each one will
be different. Understood about the storage amount.

> Among those albums and images in both my iPhone & iPad, I keep a backup
> of my travel documents in an album; passport, drivers license, medical
> insurance card, auto insurance & Law Enforcement ID.

Yes, I have something similar, done via DropBox so I can have it on both
the iPad and the Android phone.
--
Cheers,
David

nospam

In article <k6qiq0$jk5$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It comes across like that. It surprises slightly that people can't
> bring themselves to admit that that Apple products have faults - it
> seems that there is a lack of objectivity.

of course apple products have faults. nothing is perfect.

ask me about itunes sometime.

> Reasoned argument goes out
> of the window.

reasoned arguments are more than welcome.

what's not welcome is bashing, especially from those who don't own the
products and likely never will. they just want to find fault, no matter
how minor it may be, even though the competing products do exactly the
same thing (which they don't own either). they fixate solely on the
negative, ignoring all of the positive. they never mention the real
problems that really *do* affect users.

nospam

In article <k6qj7o$lmg$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > The iPad makes a great image viewing device. It is just not the best
> > backup device. It only fills that role in a pinch. The iPad with the
> > retina display makes a better viewing device.

> .. and if you've copied, say, 300 photos across from an SD card to show
> someone on the excellent display, you /still/ have the problem of
> deleting those 300 photos without having to tap each and every one. The
> problem still exists whether it's a display or a backup device.

yes, a select all would be nice, but most people copy the photos to the
device and keep them there until they connect it to a computer, where
they then copy them and delete them, so it's not really as big of a
deal as some are making it out to be.

> Oh, and let's not mention the picture ordering issue when used as a
> display from images copied from an SD card.

what ordering issue?

nospam

In article <k6qk4m$q00$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> With my Android phone, there is a File Manager program which runs on the
> device itself, and it /does/ include a Select All option.

which is separate from the photo viewer.

so now you have to quit one app, launch another, select files and
delete, then go back to the first app.

nospam

In article <k6qkoi$r8u$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> i did already but here it is once again:
> >> plug the ipad into the computer with the provided usb cable and it
> >> shows up like an ordinary digital camera. use whatever software you
> >> normally use, including explorer which you've said you like to use,
> >> select whatever photos you want, then copy and/or delete them as you
> >> would if it was any other digital camera.

> > Aah - but I don't do that with a digital camera. I've encountered too
> > many stories about memory cards being stuffed up by this kind of
> > activity until they are reformatted by the camera. I certainly don't
> > want this kind of problem with an iPad.

> Do try what nospam suggests - it does work. Only the directories
> containing images are exposed to the PC, so you can't accidentally
> delete the operating system or user programs.
>
> You /can/ get a program called iPhone Explorer (IIRC) which /does/ allow
> that level of access, though. Caveat Emptor in that case!

no need to worry there either. you can only mess with user files, not
system files.

you have to jailbreak to mess with the system and then you do need to
be careful, and not just with file access, but for rogue software.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I am genuinely surprised that its got the ability to store and display
> >> a large number of photographs but lacks the ability to easily manage
> >> them with out the assistance of an external device or software.

> >it can easily manage them on the device.
> >
> >you can edit the photos with a wide variety of apps, many of them free
> >and very capable and others for very cheap. iphoto is $5 and photoshop
> >touch is $10. you can also create albums and move photos to them. there
> >are even apps that can sync with lightroom.

> You know very well that I am not considering any of these things.

no i don't.

you said manage photos. that can mean a lot of things. maybe you want
to make adjustments to the photos before showing them.

there are image editing apps, slide show apps, apps that upload to the
cloud and quite a bit more. a significant number of apps are photo
related.

> >> At this stage I am still cautious and I've explained why.

> >you need to get over your irrational fears.

> They are not irrational.

if you think that merely plugging an ipad into a computer is going to
corrupt it, then yes, it is definitely an irrational fear.

> Do you know more about this than the fact
> that you have done this several times and it has not yet bitten you?

i've been using ios devices since shortly after they came out over five
years ago, i write ios software and i am *very* familiar with the
innards. i know what the risks are. there are none.

> Do you really know enough about how it all works to justify your
> confidence that deleting iPad files via a PC's USB port is entirely
> safe for the iPad?

absolutely.

you aren't 'deleting ipad files'. you are deleting photos and only the
photos visible to you by the ipad. you can't see other files, let alone
delete them.

there is no possible way you can corrupt the ipad's file system by
plugging it into a computer in normal use.

the *only* way you can cause problems is if you go out of your way to
get additional software that lets you access files you shouldn't be
accessing and intentionally start editing those files. browsing them
won't cause problems. if you jailbreak it (another step) you can also
access system files and potentially do more damage (or tweak things,
it's not all bad), but again, it's an intentional act. it will *not*
happen accidentally.

plus, in the event you did brick the ipad somehow, you can easily
unbrick it by loading a stock firmware and then restoring from your
most recent backup and you will be back to where you were before you
screwed it up.

bottom line: it takes a lot of effort and intent to cause problems.

just plugging it into a computer won't do it.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Are you really saying that with its Retina display and portability
> >> it's still not suited to being used as a viewing device?

> >i'm saying that it's not suitable for a portable storage device. at
> >best, it will hold two 32 gig cards, if you have a 64 gig ipad that has
> >nothing else on it. that's not a whole lot.
> >
> >you said your wife went away for six weeks. i know i would fill a 32
> >gig card in a couple of days, if that long. a 64 gig ipad would *not*
> >last six weeks for me. i doubt it would even last six days.
> >
> >however, if someone shoots a handful of photos a day, i'm sure it's
> >fine.

> But that still leaves you the problem of emptying it out afterwards.

when she gets home, plug it into the computer, copy the photos (which
you're going to want to do, one would assume), then delete them.

there is no problem.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Big or little, it's a deal.

> >it's little. insignificant, in fact.

> THat's why so many other computer manufacturers leave it out.

if you're referring to windows or mac os x, that's an invalid
comparison.

compare it to other tablets. android doesn't do it either, unless you
use a different app (not included, btw).

> >> My wife and her gang thought they could use an iPad to view photos in
> >> the field. Isn't the iPad suitable for that? What other device would
> >> you recommend buying for the purpose?

> >they can do that, and from what you said, she *did* do that.

> How she is expected to empty it out again afterwards?

as i said countless times (this is getting old, fast), you plug it into
the computer, copy the files and delete.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yes, I agree. I'm just trying to rub no-spams nose in the stupidity of
> his own obduracy.

the only obdurate person is you. i told you exactly how to do what you
asked, but you refuse to.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "How to transfer files from Windows to the iPad" at
> http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...s-to-the-ipad/
> is interesting.

not really. just another person trying to make things far more
complicated than necessary.