Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

 
 
tony cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2012
On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 20:29:26 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>that's the whole point. there's no need to arrange anything the
>computer can instantly find whatever you want, wherever it is. if you
>want waterfalls, you get waterfalls. if you want beethoven, you get
>beethoven. i can set up a smart folder of photos taken in the last 5
>days and it automatically updates.


You can only pull out waterfall images if you used "waterfall" as a
keyword. LR doesn't search for words like Google. The user must
anticipate future needs by assigning keywords. Or, decide later and
go back and keyword.

The statement that you find whatever you want is false.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2012
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> There is only one Apple Store named as such in New Zealand and it is
> >> an on-line store. See http://store.apple.com/nz
> >>
> >> If you wander through that site you will come across of 'Apple
> >> Authorised Resellers'. Not one of them is called 'Apple Store' but
> >> they are all Apple stores in that they sell Apples.

> >
> >in other words, not an official apple store. that explains why there
> >were no geniuses there and why you didn't get very good service.

>
> So only employees of official Apple stores know anything about Apple
> products or are capable of providing good service?


i never said only. don't twist.

apple store geniuses are trained to do tech support, diagnose problems
and resolve issues.

other stores don't generally have an equivalent. their salespeople
might know the answer, but more likely, they probably don't and worse,
they might guess at the answer and be wrong. i've heard some rather
bizarre stuff told to customers at places like best buy, compusa and
microcenter, all of which are authorized apple resellers.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2012
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >that's the whole point. there's no need to arrange anything the
> >computer can instantly find whatever you want, wherever it is. if you
> >want waterfalls, you get waterfalls. if you want beethoven, you get
> >beethoven. i can set up a smart folder of photos taken in the last 5
> >days and it automatically updates.

>
> You can only pull out waterfall images if you used "waterfall" as a
> keyword. LR doesn't search for words like Google. The user must
> anticipate future needs by assigning keywords. Or, decide later and
> go back and keyword.


which is not that hard to do when you import them.

it's a bit daunting if you need to start keywording 50k files, however.

it's also something that is going to improve with time. there's already
facial recognition, so you no longer need to tag people with their
names and there is also some basic scene recognition. this stuff is
going to get much better over time, and not all that long either.

you need to think long term.

> The statement that you find whatever you want is false.


for you maybe.
 
Reply With Quote
 
tony cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2012
On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 22:41:24 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> >> There is only one Apple Store named as such in New Zealand and it is
>> >> an on-line store. See http://store.apple.com/nz
>> >>
>> >> If you wander through that site you will come across of 'Apple
>> >> Authorised Resellers'. Not one of them is called 'Apple Store' but
>> >> they are all Apple stores in that they sell Apples.
>> >
>> >in other words, not an official apple store. that explains why there
>> >were no geniuses there and why you didn't get very good service.

>>
>> So only employees of official Apple stores know anything about Apple
>> products or are capable of providing good service?

>
>i never said only. don't twist.


Twist? You said it: "that explains why...".

Any time you trip up on your own words you whine that your own words
are twisted. Take some responsibility.
>
>apple store geniuses are trained to do tech support, diagnose problems
>and resolve issues.
>
>other stores don't generally have an equivalent. their salespeople
>might know the answer, but more likely, they probably don't and worse,
>they might guess at the answer and be wrong. i've heard some rather
>bizarre stuff told to customers at places like best buy, compusa and
>microcenter, all of which are authorized apple resellers.


I'm sure the Geniuses are well trained. That doesn't mean that an
Apple reseller employee can't be trained also. After all, Apple stuff
is dead simple, isn't it?


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2012
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> >> If you wander through that site you will come across of 'Apple
> >> >> Authorised Resellers'. Not one of them is called 'Apple Store' but
> >> >> they are all Apple stores in that they sell Apples.
> >> >
> >> >in other words, not an official apple store. that explains why there
> >> >were no geniuses there and why you didn't get very good service.
> >>
> >> So only employees of official Apple stores know anything about Apple
> >> products or are capable of providing good service?

> >
> >i never said only. don't twist.

>
> Twist? You said it: "that explains why...".
>
> Any time you trip up on your own words you whine that your own words
> are twisted. Take some responsibility.


*you* are the one who said *only* employees of official apple stores.

i never said only, therefore you are twisting it.

as you say, take some responsibility.

> >apple store geniuses are trained to do tech support, diagnose problems
> >and resolve issues.
> >
> >other stores don't generally have an equivalent. their salespeople
> >might know the answer, but more likely, they probably don't and worse,
> >they might guess at the answer and be wrong. i've heard some rather
> >bizarre stuff told to customers at places like best buy, compusa and
> >microcenter, all of which are authorized apple resellers.

>
> I'm sure the Geniuses are well trained. That doesn't mean that an
> Apple reseller employee can't be trained also. After all, Apple stuff
> is dead simple, isn't it?


i never said they can't be trained. stop twisting things.

i said it's a mixed bag.
 
Reply With Quote
 
tony cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2012
On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 22:41:27 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> >that's the whole point. there's no need to arrange anything the
>> >computer can instantly find whatever you want, wherever it is. if you
>> >want waterfalls, you get waterfalls. if you want beethoven, you get
>> >beethoven. i can set up a smart folder of photos taken in the last 5
>> >days and it automatically updates.

>>
>> You can only pull out waterfall images if you used "waterfall" as a
>> keyword. LR doesn't search for words like Google. The user must
>> anticipate future needs by assigning keywords. Or, decide later and
>> go back and keyword.

>
>which is not that hard to do when you import them.
>

Absolutely true. However, you have to anticipate that you will want
to find waterfall photos in the future. What if you want to find
willow trees or barns or white horses? Are you going to import every
photo with everything in it keyworded? Get real.

>it's a bit daunting if you need to start keywording 50k files, however.
>
>it's also something that is going to improve with time. there's already
>facial recognition, so you no longer need to tag people with their
>names and there is also some basic scene recognition. this stuff is
>going to get much better over time, and not all that long either.
>
>you need to think long term.
>
>> The statement that you find whatever you want is false.

>
>for you maybe.


Why is it not false *now*? You can only use LR keywords to find what
you have previously decided that you will want to find.

LR is a good system with good tools, but don't make false claims about
it and start admitting error when you make one.




--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2012
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> >that's the whole point. there's no need to arrange anything the
> >> >computer can instantly find whatever you want, wherever it is. if you
> >> >want waterfalls, you get waterfalls. if you want beethoven, you get
> >> >beethoven. i can set up a smart folder of photos taken in the last 5
> >> >days and it automatically updates.
> >>
> >> You can only pull out waterfall images if you used "waterfall" as a
> >> keyword. LR doesn't search for words like Google. The user must
> >> anticipate future needs by assigning keywords. Or, decide later and
> >> go back and keyword.

> >
> >which is not that hard to do when you import them.
> >

> Absolutely true. However, you have to anticipate that you will want
> to find waterfall photos in the future. What if you want to find
> willow trees or barns or white horses? Are you going to import every
> photo with everything in it keyworded? Get real.


you keyword what you think you might want. nothing is perfect. if it
turns out you end up with a horse fetish, then you go back and add new
keywords.

> >it's a bit daunting if you need to start keywording 50k files, however.
> >
> >it's also something that is going to improve with time. there's already
> >facial recognition, so you no longer need to tag people with their
> >names and there is also some basic scene recognition. this stuff is
> >going to get much better over time, and not all that long either.
> >
> >you need to think long term.
> >
> >> The statement that you find whatever you want is false.

> >
> >for you maybe.

>
> Why is it not false *now*?


because i'm actually doing what i've described.

> You can only use LR keywords to find what
> you have previously decided that you will want to find.


that's true, but there are also other tools to find photos, such as
geotags.

> LR is a good system with good tools, but don't make false claims about
> it and start admitting error when you make one.


i'm not making a false claim.
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2012
On 02/11/2012 22:11, Eric Stevens wrote:
[]
> Assuming there is nothing wrong with my machine, and I am aware of
> nothing to suggest there is, the problem appears to be in the way the
> 64 bit system handles 32 bit files. Is there anyone else out there
> running 64 bit Windows 7 in conjunction with a third generation 64GB
> iPad running iOS6? If there is anyone who meets that specification, do
> you notice any idiosyncrasies such as the ones I've been describing?
>
> --- snip ---


Eric,

When I connect my iOS 6.0.1 iPad to my Win-7/64 PC I get an AutoPLay
dialogue from Windows Explorer. I select "Open device to view files"
using Windows Explorer", and I get an icon for the iPad with a device
icon a level down. Inside that is a directory DCIM, and then another
with a coded name containing (in my case) JPEG and PNG images, and even
a .MOV file. At that level, you can multi-select files to delete.

I hope that helps.

There is too much dross in this thread for me to follow every entry, and
I did get a private message from WD which I could not open to reply to
(but please don't send private mails).
--
Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Malcolm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2012
nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>> >my point is that users want to work with documents, photos, etc., not
>> >trying to remember which file is in which folder or what the actual
>> >file name was or whether it's on the internal drive or the external
>> >drive, and if the latter, which external drive, etc.
>> >
>> >that's something a computer can do far more efficiently.
>> >
>> >in other words, if you want photos of niagara falls you took a couple
>> >of years ago, you tap a few keys and boom, you are looking at those
>> >photos. the computer can find them much faster than a human ever could.

>>
>> I would have quick look in 'My Photos/Places/Niagra'. It's not perfect
>> but it works.


> only if you put them there. what if they fall into more than one
> category? what if not only is it niagara, but spouse or other family
> member? what if you want only waterfall photos?


> you have to remember which files are where. it quickly gets out of hand.


> it's much easier when the computer figures it out.


Depends. I have umpteen thousands of images in my disc drives. Picasa
is my general first use simple quick editor of choice and used to be
able to see all my images. After an upgrade to the latest version it
started "running" like swimming in treacle. I discovered that the
clever lads at Google had implemented face recognition and it had
decided to scan my entire photo library to find and classify faces.

I don't know how long I'd have had to leave it alone to accomplish
that task, because it's obviously hugely longer than I've ever had the
patience to let it go for. So I had to stop it seeing all my files,
and turned the face recognition off. Because it isn't always easier to
let the computer figure it out.

--
Chris Malcolm
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2012
On 03/11/2012 09:27, Eric Stevens wrote:
[]
> Do the JPEG file names make sense to you? Are the images in the ikons
> etc clear to you?


By intent, I don't use thumbnails, so I just get a generic JPEG image
icon. I can't recall the file names now - I /think/ they were the same
as on the camera, but as the directories were organised day-by-day, and
as the camera-roll was a separate directory, it was obvious which
directories to empty. The iPad then needed a reboot to remove those
now-empty directories.
--
Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad? RichA Digital Photography 1 11-01-2012 09:47 PM
Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad? nospam Digital Photography 2 10-31-2012 12:42 AM
Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad? nospam Digital Photography 0 10-30-2012 04:53 PM
Converting Film photographs to electronic photographs Rifleman Computer Support 18 06-09-2004 02:38 PM



Advertisments