Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

DanP

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:47:53 PM UTC, nospam wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Now you tell me what I did wrong.

> choose linux for a desktop os.

Is better than Windows. Can I give IOS a go on my Acer AMD laptop? Or should I use FreeBSD?

DanP

tony cooper

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 22:42:38 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Tim's 2011 remuneration was US $378 million. He spends more on breath
>> mints than the average Foxconn line worker makes in a year.

>oh, you're one of those people who thinks ceos are overpaid. why am i
>not surprised.

No, I don't. In fact, unlike you, I have been a CEO. Well, the owner
of a company with sales over $13 million the year I sold and retired.
Never called myself the CEO, though.

>tim makes the big bucks because he's a *very* good ceo, previously svp
>operations. apple became the most valuable tech company on the planet,
>largely because of him.

You think Cook would leave out of spite if they cut his compensation
to only $300 million? Or that Apple would collapse if he did?

>> I'm sure
>> the Foxconn line workers appreciated a public relations appearance by
>> Cook walking around with Terry Gou (Net worth: $4.8 billion) while
>> they talked about Gou's plans to add robotic assembly so they can
>> continue to hold down costs and not need as many underpaid employees.

>why, if they're so underpaid, do they line up in droves at the chance
>to work at foxconn? aren't there higher paying jobs elsewhere? oh wait,
>there aren't. it was *worse* where they were before.

There's a church here in Orlando that feeds the homeless at lunch
time. They line up in droves. People will line up in droves for a
crust of bread if they have nothing else to eat.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Then they aren't the people I described as 'young geeks' and all this
> >> who-hah you stirred up with your use of the word 'genius' has been an
> >> irrelevant waste of time.

> >then you talked to the wrong people.

> You don't know the local Apple store.

then you didn't go to an official apple store, and it's no wonder you
didn't get much help.

just because a store sells apple products doesn't make them an apple
store.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I don't want to have to buy Lightroom just to enable me to do a
> >> block-delete of (unsynchronised) images in an iPhone.

> >the discussion was about the file system and how it's eventually going
> >to go away for the vast majority of use cases.
> >
> >lightroom is a very good example of that, especially since it's not
> >from apple.
> >
> >nowhere have i said you had to buy lightroom to import or delete photos
> >from an iphone, ipad or ipod touch. what i have said is that lightroom
> >is a great app for managing photos and you can use it to import and/or
> >delete photos, but you can also use other software too.

> So far I haven't identified other software. Your reference to
> Lightroom seems to be an irrelevancy.

nope. it's what i use, so it will get mentioned a lot.

and, when i first mentioned lightroom several days ago, i said other
photo management software could be used too. why are you ignoring that?

> >> Adobe must have
> >> built something Apple-centric into Lightroom.

> >they didn't.

> Then how can Lightroom read the files when nothing else that I have
> found cannot.

something is not normal with your setup.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Now you tell me what I did wrong.

> > choose linux for a desktop os.

> Is better than Windows.

if by better, you mean lacking significant amounts of useful and very
high quality software, including photoshop and lightroom. plus there's
a lot more support for third party hardware, which come with mac and
windows drivers only.

that's not what i'd call better.

Mayayana

| where a file is *does not matter*.

Interesting follow-up to this issue. The megaupload case:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/1...loud-computing

"The government maintains that Mr. Goodwin lost his
property rights in his data by storing it on a cloud
computing service."

On the bright side, this case could shed some light on
the legal status of cloud files and perhaps result in clearer
definitions. But for now, the US gov't claims the right to
access and/or impound any such data they like with only
the flimsiest of excuses. There seem to be a number of
entities with a vested interest in setting a precedent of
defining online data as part of a host-owned service.

Ironically, a common excuse for such a claim was an older
law that said email left on the server could be considered
abandoned, and that the host could therefore delete it, after
a given period of time. (6 months maybe? I don't remember
exactly.) The idea was to relieve web hosts of outdated
data taking up expensive server space. But now the webmail
services keep email even after a person has "deleted" it on
the server. So in a sense, to use cloud services is to offer a
copy of all documents to the gov't, and possibly to marketers,
while endangering one's own access.

| the reality is that many users are very confused
| with file managers.

Yes, and many are not. I know people who can't live without
Picassa and I know people who organize their photos and docs
into folders and regularly back them up to CD. Just because
you don't know how to use a tool that's not a reason to assume
the tool has no use.

nospam

In article <k71402$qti$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mayayana
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> | where a file is *does not matter*.
>
> Interesting follow-up to this issue. The megaupload case:
>
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/1...loud-computing
>
> "The government maintains that Mr. Goodwin lost his
> property rights in his data by storing it on a cloud
> computing service."
>
> On the bright side, this case could shed some light on
> the legal status of cloud files and perhaps result in clearer
> definitions. But for now, the US gov't claims the right to
> access and/or impound any such data they like with only
> the flimsiest of excuses. There seem to be a number of
> entities with a vested interest in setting a precedent of
> defining online data as part of a host-owned service.
>
> Ironically, a common excuse for such a claim was an older
> law that said email left on the server could be considered
> abandoned, and that the host could therefore delete it, after
> a given period of time. (6 months maybe? I don't remember
> exactly.) The idea was to relieve web hosts of outdated
> data taking up expensive server space. But now the webmail
> services keep email even after a person has "deleted" it on
> the server. So in a sense, to use cloud services is to offer a
> copy of all documents to the gov't, and possibly to marketers,
> while endangering one's own access.

apparently you do not realize that you can have your own private cloud,
without giving the government access to anything. you also can encrypt
what's on public cloud services such as dropbox and others, and they
can't get at it either.

and even if you don't use the cloud, they might want your hard drive.

you're incredibly paranoid.

> | the reality is that many users are very confused
> | with file managers.
>
> Yes, and many are not. I know people who can't live without
> Picassa and I know people who organize their photos and docs
> into folders and regularly back them up to CD. Just because
> you don't know how to use a tool that's not a reason to assume
> the tool has no use.

resorting to insults again? i know quite well how to manipulate files.
it's just pointless noise that gets in the way of the actual task.

i also didn't say it has no use. occasionally it does, but those
occasions are becoming fewer and fewer. for the majority of use cases,
it's simply not needed anymore.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> You don't know the local Apple store.

> >then you didn't go to an official apple store, and it's no wonder you
> >didn't get much help.
> >
> >just because a store sells apple products doesn't make them an apple
> >store.

> You haven't the faintest idea of the Apple retail distribution system
> in New Zealand. But, as ever, you never let ignorance stop you from
> sounding off.

ignorance? the apple stores are the same worldwide and they all have a
genius bar with geniuses to help with issues, whether it's repairs or
just explaining how to do something. period.

if where you went did not have that, then you did not go to an official
apple store. it's that simple.

there are plenty of stores that sell apple products, independent from
apple itself, and they're a mixed bag. you might get answers to your
questions but more likely you won't since they're not there for tech
support, they're there just to sell stuff. a lot of them have closed in
recent years because they can't compete with official apple stores.

you said you went to 'the local apple store'. was it an official apple
store or not?

Mayayana

| Yup!
| Along with DropBox and G-Drive, I have my own 1TB PogoPlug device with
| my own "Cloud" server sitting right next to my home WiFi router.
| So I use the free space on DB and G-Drive, but my primary cloud storage
| is my PogoPlug device. My cost $99 for the PP device + $149 for the 1TB
| HD.
| < http://ppl.ug/gTbLRApC138/ >

You're talking about something that's essentially
file sharing software. They might market it as a
"private cloud", but the discussion started out with
nospam's claim that nobody cares anymore about
where their files are. I was just pointing out that
it does, indeed, make a difference. If you're storing
on your external drive then you do, indeed, know
where your files are, and from the sounds of it you
recognize that commercial online storage is quite
different from local storage.

nospam

In article <201211021617469530-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> > You're talking about something that's essentially
> > file sharing software.

> > Sharing is just one feature of Pogoplug.
> > They might market it as a
> > "private cloud", but the discussion started out with
> > nospam's claim that nobody cares anymore about
> > where their files are.

> I don't know about other folks, but I do care where my files are
> located, that is one of the reasons my use of G-Drive is minimal.

picking a particular cloud service versus using your own is important,
but that's not what i'm referring to in not caring where files are.

my point is that users want to work with documents, photos, etc., not
trying to remember which file is in which folder or what the actual
file name was or whether it's on the internal drive or the external
drive, and if the latter, which external drive, etc.

that's something a computer can do far more efficiently.

in other words, if you want photos of niagara falls you took a couple
of years ago, you tap a few keys and boom, you are looking at those
photos. the computer can find them much faster than a human ever could.