Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Photos imported from an external camera do not go into the camera
> roll.

yes they do.

however, the photos app breaks that into last import and all imports.
internally it's the camera roll.

apple calls it the camera roll in discussing how to import them:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US>
After your photos have been imported from your Camera Roll or Saved
Photos, you can use iTunes to sync them back to your device.

> They first go into the 'Last Import' album and are displaced to
> 'All Imports' by the next import when it occurs.

that's still the camera roll. see above.

on devices that lack an internal camera (older ipod touches, original
ipad), it's called saved photos. the terms are interchangeable.

> >when you plug an ipad (or other ios device) into a computer, all you
> >see the camera roll, because it shows up as a camera. you don't see the
> >rest of the ipad.

> You see the lot of them as far as I can tell.

exactly. and that's all you see.

> >> I never had the "Import" albums until I picked up the Connect Kit
> >> yesterday to make that very check.

> >that's a subset of the camera roll.

> Nope. It's separate.

no it's not separate. see above.

> >screen shots and the internal camera's photos go into the camera roll
> >too.

> Nope. At least not in my iPad.

then maybe you bought a chinese knock-off clone.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> And are these the people you expect to find the answer on Google?

> >they rarely need to use google.

> Then they aren't the people I described as 'young geeks' and all this
> who-hah you stirred up with your use of the word 'genius' has been an
> irrelevant waste of time.

then you talked to the wrong people.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Nah, this is not a bash of Apple. Apple pays their people according
> >> to what they're worth. Unless, of course, the people are Chinese.

> >apple doesn't pay anyone in china. foxconn does. foxconn makes products
> >for a lot of companies, including the computers you own.

> So Apple is copying the sourcing that PC brands use? Shame!

wow. you really don't understand this industry.

> >furthermore, apple is one of the only companies trying to improve
> >conditions there, and people line up for those jobs, because they're
> >*better* than what they can get elsewhere in china.

> Logic misfire. If Apple doesn't pay them, then your statement about
> Apple trying to improve conditions must be false. Only if Apple has
> some say-so in the coolie wages can Apple improve anything. And they
> do.

apple pays foxconn, not the individual workers.

apple is a big customer of foxconn.

tim cook has gone to china to visit foxconn more than once to help
improve conditions.

ever see michael dell at foxconn? didn't think so.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >it's a progress bar of the copy in progress, with a checkbox to delete
> >the photos after the copy completes.
> >
> >click the checkbox and the photos are deleted, what you originally
> >wanted.

> Aah. I thought it had started iTunes which then locked up and froze.
>
> Now, lets back up a bit. That URL is a screen shot of ... what? ...
> running on what machine?

it's a screen shot of what happens when copying photos on a windows 7
or vista system.

more here:

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I don't particularly want to deal with individual files. But I do want
> >> to deal with individual images and images in bulk.

> >and that's where the apps come in.
> >
> >lightroom, for instance, lets you concentrate on the images, not the
> >file structure. it's an app designed *for* photo management.

> I don't want to have to buy Lightroom just to enable me to do a
> block-delete of (unsynchronised) images in an iPhone.

the discussion was about the file system and how it's eventually going
to go away for the vast majority of use cases.

lightroom is a very good example of that, especially since it's not
from apple.

nowhere have i said you had to buy lightroom to import or delete photos
from an iphone, ipad or ipod touch. what i have said is that lightroom
is a great app for managing photos and you can use it to import and/or
delete photos, but you can also use other software too.

> Adobe must have
> built something Apple-centric into Lightroom.

they didn't.

lightroom imports from cameras. the ipad shows up as a camera. nothing
more than that.

easy to test: install lightroom 1.0 (released january, 2007), which
predates the ipad by several years and in fact, predates all ios
devices. lightroom 1.0 will import the photos from an ipad, iphone or
ipod touch, any generation. i've done it.

there is no apple-centric code for connecting with ipads in lightroom
or other third party software. there doesn't need to be.

> Paintshop Pro, Nikon ViewNX and Capture NX2 are all designed only for
> windows and none of them can find the DCIM directory in the iPad.

then something else is going on with your system. the ipad shows up as
a standard camera.

> Windows Explorer (7) can look into the DCIM directory but the images
> it finds are in peculiarly named subdirectories and are presented in a
> fuzzy caricature of what might really be there. I was able to find a
> plugin for Windows Explorer 7 to enable it to properly open Nikon NEF
> files but so far I haven't been able to find one that does the same
> thing for iPad JPGs.

they're standard jpegs.

> At the moment I'm still stuck with wanting to do it in the iPad.

the best you can do is drag-select multiple images, but doing so with
1000s of them will not be particularly efficient. it's marginally
better than individual selection.

nospam

In article <2012110121114336579-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> I suspect you do not own the Apple Connect Kit. Buy one and try for
> yourself, that is what I did, because I had my own preconceived ideas,
> similar to yours, regarding this issue, and I needed to test it for
> myself and I was surprised. This is a case where you are mistaken with
> regard to this particular iPad issue.

i do own the camera connection kit and i have used it several times.

the confusion stems from a developer perspective where all photos not
synced from itunes are in what's called the camera roll (see apple
developer documentation for the gory details, link provided in a
imported photos and the last import. internally, the photos are still
in the camera roll.

apple refers to it as the camera roll in their tech note on how to copy
the imported photos from the ios device to the computer. note that they
don't mention last import or all imports.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US>
After your photos have been imported from your Camera Roll or Saved
Photos, you can use iTunes to sync them back to your device.

i can see where this can get confusing.

tony cooper

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 20:03:12 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> >apple doesn't pay anyone in china. foxconn does. foxconn makes products
>> >for a lot of companies, including the computers you own.

>> So Apple is copying the sourcing that PC brands use? Shame!

>wow. you really don't understand this industry.
>
>> >furthermore, apple is one of the only companies trying to improve
>> >conditions there, and people line up for those jobs, because they're
>> >*better* than what they can get elsewhere in china.

>> Logic misfire. If Apple doesn't pay them, then your statement about
>> Apple trying to improve conditions must be false. Only if Apple has
>> some say-so in the coolie wages can Apple improve anything. And they
>> do.

>apple pays foxconn, not the individual workers.
>
>apple is a big customer of foxconn.
>
>tim cook has gone to china to visit foxconn more than once to help
>improve conditions.

{SNORT}

Tim's 2011 remuneration was US $378 million. He spends more on breath
mints than the average Foxconn line worker makes in a year. I'm sure
the Foxconn line workers appreciated a public relations appearance by
Cook walking around with Terry Gou (Net worth: $4.8 billion) while
they talked about Gou's plans to add robotic assembly so they can
continue to hold down costs and not need as many underpaid employees.

More power to 'em, though. If they can get it, let 'em get it. Just
don't try to paint them as great humanitarians.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tim's 2011 remuneration was US $378 million. He spends more on breath
> mints than the average Foxconn line worker makes in a year.

oh, you're one of those people who thinks ceos are overpaid. why am i
not surprised.

tim makes the big bucks because he's a *very* good ceo, previously svp
operations. apple became the most valuable tech company on the planet,
largely because of him.

> I'm sure
> the Foxconn line workers appreciated a public relations appearance by
> Cook walking around with Terry Gou (Net worth: $4.8 billion) while
> they talked about Gou's plans to add robotic assembly so they can
> continue to hold down costs and not need as many underpaid employees.

why, if they're so underpaid, do they line up in droves at the chance
to work at foxconn? aren't there higher paying jobs elsewhere? oh wait,
there aren't. it was *worse* where they were before.

nospam

In article <2012110123044411967-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> > apple refers to it as the camera roll in their tech note on how to copy
> > the imported photos from the ios device to the computer. note that they
> > don't mention last import or all imports.

> That's nice. So they are not telling the full story as experienced by
> their users.

apparently not, which is unfortunate.

> One has to wonder why the two "Import" albums are created when image
> files are imported vis the Apple Connection Kit. Personally I did not
> expect that behavior.

it's a convenience to the user. otherwise, they'd be wondering where
the photos went.

> I doubted Eric when he said the "All Imports"
> album was where his imports were located and he could not find those
> imports in the "Camera Roll". So I bought an accessory I did not need
> (the Connection Kit) to check for myself.

you can sell it on ebay. the camera connection kit goes for decent
prices, or at least it did. i thought i could get one cheaper there,
but it turns out people were paying $25-30 on ebay, when it's $29 in
the store. this was last year, so the going rate may have changed. i
also saw a lot of partial kits because people didn't need both the sd
and the usb adapter, so they sold the one they didn't need. those were
cheaper, but i wanted both parts.

> All the image files I imported using the Connection Kit appear in the
> two "Imports" albums, I did not add, or create, and not in the "Camera
> Roll". As I said, I was surprised.

you don't create the camera roll.

> > <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US>
> > After your photos have been imported from your Camera Roll or Saved
> > Photos, you can use iTunes to sync them back to your device.
> >
> > i can see where this can get confusing.

> Yup! There is still no explanation for the absence of those "Connection
> Kit imported image files from the "Camera Roll". You certainly have not
> provided that explanation.

it's split off. as i said, it is confusing. it's really different ways
of saying the same thing.

> Since you have the Apple Connection Kit, let me ask; have you imported
> image files using the Connection Kit

yes, several times, as i said before.

> and have the files you imported in
> this way been imported to the "Camera Roll"?

they show up in last import/all import, but as i said, this is really
the camera roll. refer to the developer documentation for the gory
details.

the camera roll is basically a generic way to refer to non-synced
photos. as a developer, i don't think of imported photos as last
import.

unfortunately, this isn't consistent with what the user sees.

> I have tried this several times and none of the Connection Kit imported
> image files ever end up in the "Camera Roll". Please tell me what
> exactly I might be doing wrong, if your experience with this device is
> different from what I have detailed.

it's not that you're doing something wrong, it's that there is
conflicting information about it.

complicating things even further, the camera roll is also called saved
photos, if the device lacks a camera.

it's more complex than it needs to be.

Whisky-dave

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:26:14 PM UTC, Mayayana wrote:
> > Long before "apple" was anything more than the name of fruit, stores

> > employed people to handle sales transactions and advise customers on

> > how to use products. They called them "sales clerks".

> | And before professional engineers loads of mechanics called themselves
>
> engineers.
>

> Lots of software coders now call themselves engineers,
>
> even though they don't have an engineering degree. At one
>
> time or another people have called themselves software
>
> engineers, developers, architects, or authors. Whole Foods
>
> calls their clerks "team members". Many secretaries are
>
> executive assistants or even vice presidents. Inflated titles
>
> have been the new pay raise for a long time. As long as
>
> people are sucker enough to take low pay for a fancy
>
> title, the trend will keep going. Personally I'd be embarassed
>
> to have to tell a date that I'm an "Apple genius". It sounds
>
> silly..... But I guess I could call myself a senior usenet analyst.

I guess many people could call you manay things
Where I work it seems the reverse they make a grand sounding title and thatwill raise your pay, i;e you call youself a manager or a deputy or choose that lastestmanagment buzz word. Here we seem to inclusde our tea lady as technical support as we have fewer technical support workers we need to up the numbers I guess to help those in management prove they are employing enough people.