Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > lerning perl

lerning perl

Bill Cunningham

Is the best way to learn perl to start with perlintro and then move in a
sequence through the tutorials? Where can I get the meanings of the
functions? man open works with the unix API and man fopen with C, but what
about perl functions?

man key for example doesn't work.

Jürgen Exner

"Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is the best way to learn perl to start with perlintro and then move in a
>sequence through the tutorials?

Get yourself a book. If you are an experienced programmer in some other
language then "Programming Perl" is a very good start. If you are new to
programming itself then 'Learning Perl" is often highly recommended.

>Where can I get the meanings of the
>functions? man open works with the unix API and man fopen with C, but what
>about perl functions? man key for example doesn't work.

Use perldoc:
perldoc -f open
perldoc -f keys

To learn more about perldoc use perldoc
perldoc perldoc

And for frequently asked question, e.g. about what books there are use
perldoc -q books

jue

Jens Thoms Toerring

Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Is the best way to learn perl to start with perlintro and then move in a
> >sequence through the tutorials?

> Get yourself a book. If you are an experienced programmer in some other
> language then "Programming Perl" is a very good start. If you are new to
> programming itself then 'Learning Perl" is often highly recommended.

Before you start spending lots of time trying to "help" this
Bill Cunningham character I'd recommend that you all spend a
short bit of time on checking his posting history over the
years in other newsgroups (like, for example, comp.lang.c or
comp.unix.programmer) and see for yourself if you can detect
a certain pattern. I think I can predict with high certainty
that he will never master the most basic elements of Perl -
same as he never seems to manage to write a working C pro-
gram after years of coaching - it looks as if he actually
gets worse at it over the years...

Regards, Jens

Bill Cunningham

Henry Law wrote:

> Done, thank you; forewarned. Now let's see; who knows, things might
> be different.

I've had a lot of trouble with C over the years but I am still trying to
master it. I'm not a professional programmer but I've read about perl and
I'm still checking things out. I have invested so much time in C I'm not
going to leave it. Even knowing how to program things in C I don't know
algorithms and that's needed for proper programing. I do some programming in
the unix api. Like I am studying sockets. Python has been suggested to me by
others over the years and I looked at it and perl just seemed better. What
can I say I try.

Bill

Bill Cunningham

Jürgen Exner wrote:

> Get yourself a book. If you are an experienced programmer in some
> other language then "Programming Perl" is a very good start. If you
> are new to programming itself then 'Learning Perl" is often highly
> recommended.
>
>> Where can I get the meanings of the
>> functions? man open works with the unix API and man fopen with C,
>> but what about perl functions? man key for example doesn't work.

> Use perldoc:
> perldoc -f open
> perldoc -f keys

Ok my linux implementation has perldoc in it's own package. I have it
installed now.

> To learn more about perldoc use perldoc
> perldoc perldoc
>
> And for frequently asked question, e.g. about what books there are use
> perldoc -q books
>
> jue

Jürgen Exner

"Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>[...] Even knowing how to program things in C I don't know
>algorithms and that's needed for proper programing.

In other words: you are and have been putting the cart before the horse.
Maybe you should look into learning programming first. Once you
understand that then switching to a different programming language is
usually the easy part (yes, there are exceptions).

jue

Justin C

On 2012-10-30, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>[...] Even knowing how to program things in C I don't know
>>algorithms and that's needed for proper programing.

> In other words: you are and have been putting the cart before the horse.
> Maybe you should look into learning programming first. Once you
> understand that then switching to a different programming language is
> usually the easy part (yes, there are exceptions).
>
> jue

I feel a certain affinity with the OP. My first
programming was punched cards (at school), after that
I taught myself BASIC on a ZX Spectrum. I went on an
'Introduction to C course' intending to take the
follow-on course but the college dropped it saying
there was no demand. And there my education stopped
until I bought Learning Perl.

I've only ever learnt programming as part of learning
a programming language. I'd never considered it
possible to learn programming without a language
being associated. Could you point me (and the OP if
he's interested) in the direction of suitable /
relevant material?

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Peter J. Holzer

On 2012-10-31 15:10, Justin C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2012-10-30, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>[...] Even knowing how to program things in C I don't know
>>>algorithms and that's needed for proper programing.

>> In other words: you are and have been putting the cart before the horse.
>> Maybe you should look into learning programming first. Once you
>> understand that then switching to a different programming language is
>> usually the easy part (yes, there are exceptions).

> I feel a certain affinity with the OP. My first
> programming was punched cards (at school), after that
> I taught myself BASIC on a ZX Spectrum. I went on an
> 'Introduction to C course' intending to take the
> follow-on course but the college dropped it saying
> there was no demand. And there my education stopped
> until I bought Learning Perl.
>
> I've only ever learnt programming as part of learning
> a programming language. I'd never considered it
> possible to learn programming without a language
> being associated.

I don't think you can learn programming without a language (that would
be like learning to write novels without a language).

But you can't learn programming without algorithms either.

Programming is the art of finding algorithms and expressing them in a
formal language.

If you only learn what the elements of a programming language mean but
not how to put them together, you will never be able to program. If you
aren't able to analyse a problem, to find a repeatable way to solve the
problem (= an algorithm), you won't be able to program.

Actually writing down the algorithm in a specific language is easiest
part (although the devil can certainly be in the details), and it is
also mostly interchangable. If you understand a problem and its solution
and you can write it down in one language, you can also write it in any
other language with a little effort. (This is also apparent in the
existence of compilers: Compilers are programs which translate from one
programming language to another: They have existed for a long time, so
that's obviously a simple problem. But there are no programs which can
really program. So that's a hard problem which needs human creativity)

(I'm not even sure if everybody can learn to program: Some people just
don't seem to have the knack)

hp

| | | (E-Mail Removed) | die Satzbestandteile des Satzes nicht mehr

Bill Cunningham

Jürgen Exner wrote:

> In other words: you are and have been putting the cart before the
> horse. Maybe you should look into learning programming first. Once you
> understand that then switching to a different programming language is
> usually the easy part (yes, there are exceptions).

I can see right now that perl is going to be easier and higher level
than C. Now if I can do it. It C to check arrays you have to iterate through
the array elements by writing a program. It seems to be a lot easier in
perl. And I've got about as far as perlintro and I have to re-read it to se
what => is and "<" and ">" in the open function.

Bill

Peter J. Holzer

On 2012-11-05 20:34, Ben Morrow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Quoth "Peter J. Holzer" <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> I don't think you can learn programming without a language (that would
>> be like learning to write novels without a language).

> Turing, Church and so on did; but most of us aren't in that category.

I would say they just invented their languages as they went along.