Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: HDR

Re: HDR

PeterN

On 10/25/2012 5:25 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-10-25 11:41:05 -0700, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Just curious - who is using HDR, for instance when a scene has too much
>> dynamic range?

> I guess this shot has sort of flat DR, I am not sure about too much, but
> a five exposure HDR with a -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 EV bracket processed with
> NIK HDR Pro 2 gave me a reasonable result.
>
> Here is a comparison with the 0, unmolested image and the 5 shot HDR.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...DR-Comp-01.jpg >

Here is my version of the tractor, without using HDR

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2vjzcm713rhitn/HDR-Comp-01%20as%20Smart%20Object-1.jpg>

--
Peter

PeterN

On 10/26/2012 8:31 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-10-26 17:24:30 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 10/25/2012 5:25 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> I guess this shot has sort of flat DR, I am not sure about too much, but
>>> a five exposure HDR with a -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 EV bracket processed with
>>> NIK HDR Pro 2 gave me a reasonable result.
>>>
>>> Here is a comparison with the 0, unmolested image and the 5 shot HDR.
>>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...DR-Comp-01.jpg >
>>>

>> Here is my version of the tractor, without using HDR
>>
>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2vjzcm713rhitn/HDR-Comp-01%20as%20Smart%20Object-1.jpg>
>>

> Interesting
>>

> idea.
> ...and that is better, how?
>
> I'd be happy to DB the NEF or DNG bracket set to you if you want to play.

Only because I did not need HDR.
All I did was some adjustments in ACR opened in CS6, added a 50% neutral
gray layer with a soft light blend mode, and selectively adjusted the
contrast.
thanks, I've got several thousand images to play with. I had a boot
sector crash and am going through the PITA of restoration. I have all
images safely backed up, so none were lost.

--
Peter

ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan

I've been happy with some of the results I've gotten with Picturenaut
and shots of clouds over landscapes and neon at night.

These were shot with a Lumix LX3 with 3 shots at one EV apart (the camera's
only bracket mode). In both cases, the full set then a set of the Picturenaut
HDRs from the bracketed shots in that set:

http://tednolan.net/pix/10-08-20-mel...coa/index.html

http://tednolan.net/pix/10-08-20-mel...hdr/index.html

http://tednolan.net/pix/10-10-15-fair-night/index.html

http://tednolan.net/pix/10-10-15-fai...hdr/index.html
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan

In article <2012102700172033169-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
>On 2012-10-26 22:37:43 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) said:
>
>> I've been happy with some of the results I've gotten with Picturenaut
>> and shots of clouds over landscapes and neon at night.
>>
>> These were shot with a Lumix LX3 with 3 shots at one EV apart (the camera's
>> only bracket mode). In both cases, the full set then a set of the Picturenaut
>> HDRs from the bracketed shots in that set:
>>
>> http://tednolan.net/pix/10-08-20-mel...coa/index.html
>>
>> http://tednolan.net/pix/10-08-20-mel...hdr/index.html
>>
>> http://tednolan.net/pix/10-10-15-fair-night/index.html
>>
>> http://tednolan.net/pix/10-10-15-fai...hdr/index.html

>Interesting shots with some potential. I ran a few bracket sets through
>NIK HDR Efex Pro 2 and I was surprised to find that you had some
>alignment and size variations within each of the sets I worked on. So I
>had a few additional tweaks to make.
>
>Here is what I was able to get out of your work:
>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...50318_HDRw.jpg >
>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...70371_HDRw.jpg >
>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...70375_HDRw.jpg >
>

>--
>Regards,
>
>Savageduck

Hmm.

Well, I'm not surprised at some aligmnent issues, though it shouldn't be
too bad as most or all of the bracketed shots were taken from a tripod.
Size I don't know -- all the bracketed shots came from the
auto-bracket mode and should be the same size.

The first one is *very* nice, for the second, I think I like what
Picturenaut was giving me better. The third one seems to be put together
with non-matching exposures..
--
------

On 10/26/2012 9:36 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-10-26 18:29:55 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 10/26/2012 8:31 PM, Savageduck wrote:

> Interesting
>
> idea.
> ...and
>>>>
>>> that is better, how?
>>>
>>> I'd be happy to DB the NEF or DNG bracket set to you if you want to
>>> play.
>>>

>> Only because I did not need HDR.
>> All I did was some adjustments in ACR opened in CS6, added a 50%
>> neutral gray layer with a soft light blend mode, and selectively
>> adjusted the contrast.

> ...and your result is awful!
> Unless you think you have given it some strange Newman abstract
> treatment, and even if that was your intent you still managed to butcher
> the image.
> Oh, well!

You don't have to like my edits. My only point was with a little work in
ACR your HDR image can be improved over the original, without using HDR.
BTW it is not unusual for a photographer to say another's edits ruined
his image. I do not know what you had in mind when you shot the image.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 10/28/2012 3:25 PM, Savageduck wrote:

<snip>

> I just love your loose interpretation of "improved".
>
>> BTW it is not unusual for a photographer to say another's edits ruined
>> his image. I do not know what you had in mind when you shot the image.

> Hell! All I had in mind was, "Hey! Look an old tractor. That could make
> an interesting HDR exercise."
> As a single exposure I could certainly have picked any of the five shots
> in the bracket set and not have done what you did, but if I was working
> with only the "0" exposure I would have reached this result as a non-HDR.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...DNC1002A1w.jpg >
>
> What did you think I was trying to do? Obscure the fact that there was a
> tractor in that field?
>
> I guess I just don't have your vision for the abstract.

I can live w/o the sarcasm.

Here is a different version, I applied a small curves adjustment and
cropped. I you don't like it, well, what can I say.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2vjzcm713rhitn/HDR-Comp-01%20as%20Smart%20Object-1.jpg>

BTW When I don;t like an image I usually say why.
--
Peter

tony cooper

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 16:22:32 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I guess I just don't have your vision for the abstract.

>I can live w/o the sarcasm.

Would you call this an abstract?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d41dtjxr18...-10-26-861.jpg

I took this photograph of these Cirque du Soleil clowns, applied a
radial blur, and used a mask to reveal only the one clown unblurred.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN

On 10/28/2012 6:07 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 16:22:32 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>> I guess I just don't have your vision for the abstract.

>> I can live w/o the sarcasm.
>>

> Would you call this an abstract?
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/d41dtjxr18...-10-26-861.jpg
>
> I took this photograph of these Cirque du Soleil clowns, applied a
> radial blur, and used a mask to reveal only the one clown unblurred.

No, it is not a pure abstraction, However the radial blur you applied to
the background enhances the image. It certainly is creative. I like it.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 10/28/2012 6:26 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-10-28 15:07:26 -0700, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> I can live w/o the sarcasm.
>>>

>> Would you call this an abstract?
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/d41dtjxr18...-10-26-861.jpg
>>
>> I took this photograph of these Cirque du Soleil clowns, applied a
>> radial blur, and used a mask to reveal only the one clown unblurred.

> I would, and I like it.
>
> ...and it is a great use of the tools you had available to put your
> interpretation on your very good capture.
>
> I some how doubt that if Peter had just applied his "small curves
> adjustment" that the result would have been as successful or pleasing to
> the eye..

I I had shot that image, and I wish I had, I would have done something
other than make a small curve adjustment. I cannot say what I would do,
because that varies withe every image, and what I feel like doing to it.
I don't believe you are implying that I do everything by formula.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 10/28/2012 7:37 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-10-28 16:31:00 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 10/28/2012 6:26 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> I would, and I like it.
>>>
>>> ...and it is a great use of the tools you had available to put your
>>> interpretation on your very good capture.
>>>
>>> I some how doubt that if Peter had just applied his "small curves
>>> adjustment" that the result would have been as successful or pleasing to
>>> the eye..
>>>

>> I I had shot that image, and I wish I had, I would have done something
>> other than make a small curve adjustment. I cannot say what I would
>> do, because that varies withe every image, and what I feel like doing
>> to it. I don't believe you are implying that I do everything by formula.

> OK! OK! I just didn't like what you did with my particular image. I was
> kind of disturbed to see what you had done with it. I guess I had
> different expectations to that which you presented.

Which was my original thought when you expressed extensive disdain for
my small adjustments.
Of course you were right when you pointed out that I destroyed the
shadow detail. i think your original image is flat and needs some
enhancement. HDR is overkill.
I think my crop in the second image makes your image into a truck in a
location, rather than a location with a truck.

--
Peter