Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > C.B. Falconer, RIP 1931-2012

C.B. Falconer, RIP 1931-2012

Bill Davy

"luser- -droog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:11:24 PM UTC-5, Charles Richmond wrote:
>> I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He used
>>
>> be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and comp.lang.c. He
>>
>> had a long and involved history with computers and programming. He was
>> born
>>
>> in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and passed away in Damariscotta,
>> Maine
>>
>> on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most everyone here remembers him and his posts
>>
>> Usenet. One of his many accomplishments was writing an article for an
>> early
>>
>> Dr. Dobbs magazine on implementing floating point on the Intel 8080
>>
>> microprocessor.
>>

>> His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
>>
>> his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
>>
>> website:
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/8fudn4o
>>

>> His obituary is at:
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/8ahongj
>>

>> I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet.
>> I'm
>>
>> sure many here will mourn his passing.
>>

> Chuck responded to one of my early posts with
>
> <snipped 400 lines of garbage>
>
> And he was right!
>
> --
> M Joshua Ryan (lusor-grood)

I wonder if "1987-1989 D.S. Davidson Co., North Haven, CT " ever paid
royalties on their use of LZW algorithm (patent now lapsed)?

But funnily many of us who started back then had to do many of the same
things (assemblers, compilers, simulators, running on mainframes, floating
point packages, FFT, etc). And the processor changed every few years too.
Those were the days.

Rod Pemberton

"Charles Richmond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k6c6db$tp4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He used
> to be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and comp.lang.c.
> He had a long and involved history with computers and programming. He
> was born in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and passed away in
> Damariscotta, Maine on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most everyone here
> remembers him and his posts to Usenet. One of his many accomplishments
> was writing an article for an early Dr. Dobbs magazine on implementing
> floating point on the Intel 8080 microprocessor.
>
> His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
> his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
> website:
>
> [link]
>
> His obituary is at:
>
> [link]
>
> I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet. I'm
> sure many here will mourn his passing.

Every truly great man needs a quote on his tombstone which truly captures
the essence of the man, what he stood for, his achievements in life, and
most importantly, what, if anything, humanity will remember him for:

*PLONK*

As you treated others in life, so too shall you be treated in death.

Rod Pemberton

Bruce Morgen

"Rod Pemberton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Charles Richmond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:k6c6db$tp4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He used
>> to be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and comp.lang.c.
>> He had a long and involved history with computers and programming. He
>> was born in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and passed away in
>> Damariscotta, Maine on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most everyone here
>> remembers him and his posts to Usenet. One of his many accomplishments
>> was writing an article for an early Dr. Dobbs magazine on implementing
>> floating point on the Intel 8080 microprocessor.
>>
>> His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
>> his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
>> website:
>>
>> [link]
>>
>> His obituary is at:
>>
>> [link]
>>
>> I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet. I'm
>> sure many here will mourn his passing.
>>

>Every truly great man needs a quote on his tombstone which truly captures
>the essence of the man, what he stood for, his achievements in life, and
>most importantly, what, if anything, humanity will remember him for:
>
> *PLONK*
>
>As you treated others in life, so too shall you be treated in death.

Yeah, but in death you won't
give a flyin' fahootch.

hormelfree@gmail.com

On Friday, November 9, 2012 4:07:53 PM UTC-8, Rod Pemberton wrote:

> Every truly great man needs a quote on his tombstone which truly
> captures the essence of the man, what he stood for, his achievements
> in life, and most importantly, what, if anything, humanity will remember
> him for

For most of the regulars here, we can paraphrase the tombstone of "Buffy
The Vampire Slayer" the second time (third?) she died:

"He Knew The Return Value Of main()
A Lot"

---
William Ernest Reid

Rod Speed

"Bruce Morgen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Rod Pemberton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Charles Richmond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:k6c6db$tp4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He
>>> used
>>> to be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and comp.lang.c.
>>> He had a long and involved history with computers and programming. He
>>> was born in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and passed away in
>>> Damariscotta, Maine on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most everyone here
>>> remembers him and his posts to Usenet. One of his many accomplishments
>>> was writing an article for an early Dr. Dobbs magazine on implementing
>>> floating point on the Intel 8080 microprocessor.
>>>
>>> His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
>>> his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
>>> website:
>>>
>>> [link]
>>>
>>> His obituary is at:
>>>
>>> [link]
>>>
>>> I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet.
>>> I'm
>>> sure many here will mourn his passing.
>>>

>>Every truly great man needs a quote on his tombstone which truly captures
>>the essence of the man, what he stood for, his achievements in life, and
>>most importantly, what, if anything, humanity will remember him for:
>>
>> *PLONK*
>>
>>As you treated others in life, so too shall you be treated in death.
>>

> Yeah, but in death you won't
> give a flyin' fahootch.

Depends on whether there is a hell or not and whether you end up there.

Les Cargill

Rod Speed wrote:

> "Bruce Morgen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Rod Pemberton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "Charles Richmond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:k6c6db$tp4$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Every truly great man needs a quote on his tombstone which truly
>>> captures
>>> the essence of the man, what he stood for, his achievements in life, and
>>> most importantly, what, if anything, humanity will remember him for:
>>>
>>> *PLONK*
>>>
>>> As you treated others in life, so too shall you be treated in death.
>>>

>> Yeah, but in death you won't
>> give a flyin' fahootch.

> Depends on whether there is a hell or not and whether you end up there.

The good news is: when you end up in Hell, you can then rent our
Texas.

--
Les Cargill

Rod Speed

"Les Cargill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k7ks70$moi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rod Speed wrote:
>>

>> "Bruce Morgen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Yeah, but in death you won't
>>> give a flyin' fahootch.

>> Depends on whether there is a hell or not and whether you end up there.

> The good news is: when you end up in Hell, you can then rent our Texas.

I have my own much better than texas that I don't
even need to rent back here before I end up in hell.

Charles Richmond

"Rod Pemberton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k7k5sn$5mm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Charles Richmond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k6c6db$tp4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away.
>>
>> [snip...] [snip...] [snip...]
>>

> Every truly great man needs a quote on his tombstone which truly captures
> the essence of the man, what he stood for, his achievements in life, and
> most importantly, what, if anything, humanity will remember him for:
>
> *PLONK*
>
> As you treated others in life, so too shall you be treated in death.

Mr. C.B. Falconer treated people *justly* in his life, so I believe that he
will be treated fairly in death. If Chuck *plonked* you in his life... you
must have *richly* deserved it, Mr. Pemberton.

--

numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

hormelfree@gmail.com

On Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:42:55 PM UTC-8, Charles Richmond wrote:
> "Rod Pemberton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:k7k5sn$5mm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Every truly great man needs a quote on his tombstone which truly captures
> > the essence of the man, what he stood for, his achievements in life, and
> > most importantly, what, if anything, humanity will remember him for:
> > *PLONK*
> > As you treated others in life, so too shall you be treated in death.

> Mr. C.B. Falconer treated people *justly* in his life, so I believe that he
> will be treated fairly in death. If Chuck *plonked* you in his life... you
> must have *richly* deserved it, Mr. Pemberton.

A life spent "kill-filing" people on Usenet is a not a life lived wisely.
(You could make a case that is also true just for reading Usenet at all.)

If you've kill-filed more than a couple people, for any other reason
than introducing viruses into newsreaders or completely insane bombing
of the group with hundreds of incoherent messages a day, you have a
pathological relationship with the rest of the entire human race that
is evidenced by your behavior on Usenet.

Did the decedant exhibit the behavior of kill-filing many posters?
If so, he's probably in a better place, and so is the human race...

---
William Ernest Reid

James Kuyper

On 11/11/2012 12:42 AM, Charles Richmond wrote:
> "Rod Pemberton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k7k5sn$5mm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Charles Richmond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:k6c6db$tp4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away.
>>>
>>> [snip...] [snip...] [snip...]
>>>

>> Every truly great man needs a quote on his tombstone which truly captures
>> the essence of the man, what he stood for, his achievements in life, and
>> most importantly, what, if anything, humanity will remember him for:
>>
>> *PLONK*
>>
>> As you treated others in life, so too shall you be treated in death.
>>

> Mr. C.B. Falconer treated people *justly* in his life, so I believe that he
> will be treated fairly in death. If Chuck *plonked* you in his life... you
> must have *richly* deserved it, Mr. Pemberton.

The relevant message seems to be
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.c/HkbRqDl1Qvs/mwXe1awtQv0J>.
The plonk seems fairly well deserved to me. I get the same impression
from the other articles I've found written by Pemberton while looking
for that one.

Chuck had his faults - I must have missed the good times that many
people fondly remember - my strongest memory of him is that almost every
message he posted contained at least one error. However, plonking RP
doesn't seem to have been one of those errors.
--
James Kuyper