Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > A C program

A C program

Bill Cunningham

tom st denis wrote:

[snip

> I could have solved this problem when I was 8 years old. So in
> effect, this guy has less intuition about software and computer
> science than a C average 8 year old from a small town in Ontario
> Canada. That's not saying much for their worth as a student let alone
> an eventual professional.

Yes but no one is as perfect as you. All you ever do is show up to
complain. Why don't you make some good use of yourself and help someone or
shut the hell up. It's always about you isn't it.

Bill Cunningham

Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> Not relevant to my point. You did read my message? I was just asking
> how you know they are studying at a level where asking this means they
> should drop out now. They may be 8 and only just less talented than
> your were at 8. They may be 53 and studying programing after decades
> of being a simultaneous translator at the UN. They may know a method
> but be at a loss how to start doing it in C. There are countless
> mitigating circumstances that would mean that it's inappropriate to
> swear at them and tell them to drop out now.
>
> Anyway, I was only asking what else you maybe knew that might justify
> your extreme position.

Don't feed the trolls

Keith Thompson

"Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Don't feed the trolls

Bill, you're replying to a message from nearly a week ago,
and providing zero context, to tell us not to feed the trolls.
This thing has already died out; you're the only one still posting
about it. Just drop it and move on.

Will write code for food.

BartC

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Don't feed the trolls

> Bill, you're replying to a message from nearly a week ago,
> and providing zero context, to tell us not to feed the trolls.
> This thing has already died out; you're the only one still posting
> about it. Just drop it and move on.

I don't think it's the same Bill.

--
Bartc

Keith Thompson

"BartC" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> Don't feed the trolls

>> Bill, you're replying to a message from nearly a week ago,
>> and providing zero context, to tell us not to feed the trolls.
>> This thing has already died out; you're the only one still posting
>> about it. Just drop it and move on.

> I don't think it's the same Bill.

All the evidence I can see suggests that it is -- but it doesn't really
matter.

Will write code for food.

Malcolm McLean

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:15:11 PM UTC, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> tom st denis <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

> > Drop out of whatever program you are in now. If this sort of program
> > stumps you you have no business studying computer science nor software
> > development.

> This strikes me as too harsh. This is the sort of thing that will
> challenge a freshman (and maybe even a sophomore) the first time they
> see it; he does need to be told to do his own homework (and has been);
> he only needs to change majors if he doesn't get better.

You've got to understand argv and argc, you've got to write a routine that
checks a string is a valid binary number, you've got to detect arithmetic
overflow (or, for the class prize, implement an arbitrary-length routine).

It's not that easy to get full marks.

James Kuyper

On 11/05/2012 10:45 AM, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:15:11 PM UTC, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>> tom st denis <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>

>>> Drop out of whatever program you are in now. If this sort of program
>>> stumps you you have no business studying computer science nor software
>>> development.

>> This strikes me as too harsh. This is the sort of thing that will
>> challenge a freshman (and maybe even a sophomore) the first time they
>> see it; he does need to be told to do his own homework (and has been);
>> he only needs to change majors if he doesn't get better.
>>

> You've got to understand argv and argc, you've got to write a routine that
> checks a string is a valid binary number, you've got to detect arithmetic
> overflow (or, for the class prize, implement an arbitrary-length routine).
>
> It's not that easy to get full marks.

A key stumbling block for many newbies assigned such a problem is
confusion between the use of "binary" to describe the digits in a
character string, and the use of "binary" to describe the internal
representation of integer types in C. The OP's message is consistent
with either possibility as the input to the routine, though the
character string seems more reasonable.
Being confused about such issues as a newbie is not a good predictor of
whether you might be a successful computer scientist or computer
programmer, tom st denis' comments to the contrary notwithstanding.

If someone were still confused by such issues after spending more than a
decade "learning" C, then I would think it's long past time for them to
give up - but that's a different issue.