Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Re: Is Perl dying or not?

Re: Is Perl dying or not?

Kevin Walzer

On 10/19/12 10:43 PM, Ignoramus7380 wrote:
> Lately, I have been seeing a lot of evidence that adoption and use
> of perl declines in favor of superficially "easier" languages. The
> number of developers, commits, activity etc seems to be dropping. Even
> this newsgroup seems to be declining faster than Usenet in general.

I can't speak to the relative decline of this newsgroup, but I can say
that I'm learning Perl precisely because it seems to be actively
maintained, developed, and supported. I say this as one who has done
programming in several different languages (Tcl, Python, C/Objective-C,
AppleScript, a bit of JavaScript). Perl may no longer the TEH SEXY the
way Ruby is, but I was very disappointed in Ruby's options for building
and deploying desktop apps (non-existent on the Mac); by contrast, just
a little bit of dabbling with a simple Perl::Tkx script, pp, and PAR,
and I had a fully standalone desktop executable ready for deployment.

I'm still getting my head around lots of aspects of Perl, but the
deployment question was answered with a resounding yes--I'm sold.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

Re: Is Perl dying or not? Michael Vilain Perl Misc 6 11-13-2012 12:46 AM
Re: Is Perl dying or not? Rainer Weikusat Perl Misc 0 10-25-2012 04:30 PM
Dying Network setup wizard =?Utf-8?B?amFjcQ==?= Wireless Networking 3 01-26-2005 02:05 AM
PC KEEPS DYING Jim Gastropants MCSE 14 10-08-2004 01:45 PM
session keeps dying? Steve Letford ASP .Net 8 08-06-2003 05:01 AM

Advertisments