Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Devin Yalkin - An interesting portfolio

Re: Devin Yalkin - An interesting portfolio

PeterN

On 10/20/2012 6:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> < http://www.devinyalkinphotography.com/ >

He takes street photography to a new level, A neat interpretation of his
subjects.

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:14:17 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-10-20 17:52:00 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 10/20/2012 6:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>>> < http://www.devinyalkinphotography.com/ >
>>>

>> He takes street photography to a new level, A neat interpretation of
>> his subjects.

>Exactly what I was thinking.
>
>...Floyd might disagree.

Some quite good stuff with truly imaginative post-processing. I'd
love to know his black and white conversion technique.

Too bad the webpage design is so primitive.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN

On 10/20/2012 9:27 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:14:17 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> He takes street photography to a new level, A neat interpretation of
>>> his subjects.

>> Exactly what I was thinking.
>>
>> ...Floyd might disagree.

> Some quite good stuff with truly imaginative post-processing. I'd
> love to know his black and white conversion technique.
>
> Too bad the webpage design is so primitive.

I'm not sure all was done in post, particularly the Aqueduct portfolio.
Anyway, I plan to try some experiments tomorrow, in Chinatown.
And am planning to take a hand on workshop in BW conversion, using Nik.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:27:27 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:14:17 -0700, Savageduck
: <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
:
: >On 2012-10-20 17:52:00 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
: >
: >> On 10/20/2012 6:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:
: >>> < http://www.devinyalkinphotography.com/ >
: >>>
: >>>
: >>
: >> He takes street photography to a new level, A neat interpretation of
: >> his subjects.
: >
: >Exactly what I was thinking.
: >
: >...Floyd might disagree.
:
: Some quite good stuff with truly imaginative post-processing. I'd
: love to know his black and white conversion technique.
:
: Too bad the webpage design is so primitive.

My first impulse is to disagree with that last thought. Yalkin just lays his
photographs out there and dares the viewer to try to discern what, if
anything, he means them to say. A more elaborate Web site might seem jarringly
out of place in a variety of ways. Less may be more in this case.

Bob

tony cooper

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 22:14:49 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:27:27 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>: On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:14:17 -0700, Savageduck
>: <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>:
>: >On 2012-10-20 17:52:00 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>: >
>: >> On 10/20/2012 6:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>: >>> < http://www.devinyalkinphotography.com/ >
>: >>>
>: >>>
>: >>
>: >> He takes street photography to a new level, A neat interpretation of
>: >> his subjects.
>: >
>: >Exactly what I was thinking.
>: >
>: >...Floyd might disagree.
>:
>: Some quite good stuff with truly imaginative post-processing. I'd
>: love to know his black and white conversion technique.
>:
>: Too bad the webpage design is so primitive.
>
>My first impulse is to disagree with that last thought. Yalkin just lays his
>photographs out there and dares the viewer to try to discern what, if
>anything, he means them to say. A more elaborate Web site might seem jarringly
>out of place in a variety of ways. Less may be more in this case.

I was thinking more of the lack of navigation instruction. Rather
than the conventional arrow-click to the next image, the page requires
scrolling to the right for each series.

The first time I looked at the site, I didn't think of scrolling and
saw only two images per set. I figured it out, but I'm sure some
people are even less perceptive and stopped at the first two.

The stark appearance of the pages adds, not detracts. It's the right
setting for the stark images.

--

On 10/20/2012 10:18 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-10-20 18:55:40 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 10/20/2012 9:27 PM, tony cooper wrote:

>>> Some quite good stuff with truly imaginative post-processing. I'd
>>> love to know his black and white conversion technique.
>>>
>>> Too bad the webpage design is so primitive.
>>>

>> I'm not sure all was done in post, particularly the Aqueduct
>> portfolio. Anyway, I plan to try some experiments tomorrow, in Chinatown.
>> And am planning to take a hand on workshop in BW conversion, using Nik.

> With NIK Silver Efex Pro 2, the presets are OK, but there is much more
> to be gained using the full adjustment tool set. I would also recommend
> taking a look at some of their tutorials. Here are a few of their
> "Webinars" some are lengthy, but all are informative.
> ....and there are plenty more, some of which cover some of your abstract
> area of interest.
>
> < http://tinyurl.com/8epnefz >
> < http://tinyurl.com/8uz92tl >
> < http://tinyurl.com/8kjh966 >
> < http://tinyurl.com/8vqgh5e >
> < http://tinyurl.com/9322sy8 >
> < http://tinyurl.com/8dc9j9f >
> < http://tinyurl.com/9vn8dbm >

thanks for the links.
With all the online help they give, I thought I might not need the
workshop, but the instructor is Karin Eisman, and I have yet to leave
one of her presentations without learning something.

--
Peter

Bruce

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:27:27 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>: On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:14:17 -0700, Savageduck
>: <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>:
>: >On 2012-10-20 17:52:00 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>: >
>: >> On 10/20/2012 6:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>: >>> < http://www.devinyalkinphotography.com/ >
>: >>>
>: >>>
>: >>
>: >> He takes street photography to a new level, A neat interpretation of
>: >> his subjects.
>: >
>: >Exactly what I was thinking.
>: >
>: >...Floyd might disagree.
>:
>: Some quite good stuff with truly imaginative post-processing. I'd
>: love to know his black and white conversion technique.
>:
>: Too bad the webpage design is so primitive.
>
>My first impulse is to disagree with that last thought. Yalkin just lays his
>photographs out there and dares the viewer to try to discern what, if
>anything, he means them to say. A more elaborate Web site might seem jarringly
>out of place in a variety of ways. Less may be more in this case.

Agree 100%. His web site is a model of clarity and ease of
navigation. His critics presumably prefer complex feature-rich web
sites that only detract from the images on them.

Yalkin also shows that film is far from dead. I doubt that these
images would have the same impact had they been shot on digital,
although the Leica M Monochrom would be an interesting comparison.

Sales of black and white film in Europe are actually rising in a
photography market that is shrinking overall thanks to severe
austerity of the kind Mitt Romney says he would impose on the USA.

Watch out America! Obama's policies are almost exactly the same as
those that the IMF is now pleading with Europe's leaders to implement
because Republican-style austerity measures have failed so
comprehensively.

jdanield

Le 21/10/2012 13:25, Bruce a écrit :

> Sales of black and white film in Europe are actually rising in a
> photography market that is shrinking overall thanks to severe

do you have any evidence of that? I would like it

jdd (France)

Bruce

jdanield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Le 21/10/2012 13:25, Bruce a écrit :
>
>> Sales of black and white film in Europe are actually rising in a
>> photography market that is shrinking overall thanks to severe

>do you have any evidence of that? I would like it

The UK photo stores I assist in managing sell black and white film
from Kodak, Ilford, Fujifilm, Rollei and ADOX. Our sales are too
small to be representative of the whole UK so I get my information
from the manufacturers.

I am told by Ilford and Adox that sales of black and white film are
steadily increasing against a background of an overall photography
market that is declining in the UK because of our austerity programme
and in the Euro zone because of its austerity programme.

I am told by Kodak and Fujifilm that colour film sales are still
dropping significantly, although sales of 4x5 inch transparency film
are holding up well.

In January 2013 I will be joining a large UK retail chain in a senior
position with the objective of improving the performance of its still
photography offering. I expect I will have access to a lot more
market data than I have now.

jdanield

Le 21/10/2012 17:58, Bruce a écrit :
> jdanield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Le 21/10/2012 13:25, Bruce a écrit :
>>
>>> Sales of black and white film in Europe are actually rising in a
>>> photography market that is shrinking overall thanks to severe

>> do you have any evidence of that? I would like it

> The UK photo stores I assist in managing sell black and white film
> from Kodak, Ilford, Fujifilm, Rollei and ADOX. Our sales are too
> small to be representative of the whole UK so I get my information
> from the manufacturers.
>
> I am told by Ilford and Adox that sales of black and white film are
> steadily increasing against a background of an overall photography
> market that is declining in the UK because of our austerity programme
> and in the Euro zone because of its austerity programme.
>
> I am told by Kodak and Fujifilm that colour film sales are still
> dropping significantly, although sales of 4x5 inch transparency film
> are holding up well.
>
> In January 2013 I will be joining a large UK retail chain in a senior
> position with the objective of improving the performance of its still
> photography offering. I expect I will have access to a lot more
> market data than I have now.

very interesting, thanks
jdd

Trader Check:Devin Wells route66 DVD Video 2 06-12-2008 01:47 AM
Any ideas for a portfolio? - Java 2 07-26-2005 07:17 AM
Get best Photo Portfolio on the web (digital or analog) stefano Digital Photography 2 01-21-2004 08:20 PM
Voluntary web design opportunities - improve your portfolio Nick HTML 20 12-30-2003 08:45 PM
First 2 Weeks of Rebel 300D Portfolio Andrew Digital Photography 24 10-22-2003 03:41 AM

Advertisments