Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Preventing crap email from google?

Preventing crap email from google?

Mark Lawrence

Good morning/afternoon/evening all,

Is there any possibility that we could find a way to prevent the double
spaced rubbish that comes from G$ infiltrating this ng/ml? For example,
does Python have anybody who works for G$ who could pull a few strings,
preferably a Dutch national who has named a quite well known programming
language after a humorous BBC television programme?

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

rurpy@yahoo.com

[I posted the following in another thread yesterday...]

When you post from Google Groups you will sometimes
see a checkbox above the edit window that is a cc to
the python mailing list (<(E-Mail Removed)>)
which is checked by default.

If you uncheck that, you'll stop the double posting.

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 21:21:11 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) declaimed the
following in gmane.comp.python.general:

> [I posted the following in another thread yesterday...]
>
> When you post from Google Groups you will sometimes
> see a checkbox above the edit window that is a cc to
> the python mailing list (<(E-Mail Removed)>)
> which is checked by default.
>
> If you uncheck that, you'll stop the double posting.

That is different from the Google Groups double-spacing ">" quoted
material.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
(E-Mail Removed) HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Walter Hurry

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 01:43:03 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> Good morning/afternoon/evening all,
>
> Is there any possibility that we could find a way to prevent the double
> spaced rubbish that comes from G$ infiltrating this ng/ml? For example,
> does Python have anybody who works for G$ who could pull a few strings,
> preferably a Dutch national who has named a quite well known programming
> language after a humorous BBC television programme?

It is Google bloody Groups which is the problem. I should have plonked
posts from there ages ago, and am about to remedy that omission.

rurpy@yahoo.com

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 21:21:11 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) declaimed the
> following in gmane.comp.python.general:
>
>> [I posted the following in another thread yesterday...]
>>
>> When you post from Google Groups you will sometimes
>> see a checkbox above the edit window that is a cc to
>> the python mailing list (<(E-Mail Removed)>)
>> which is checked by default.
>>
>> If you uncheck that, you'll stop the double posting.

> That is different from the Google Groups double-spacing ">" quoted
> material.

Yes, I realized that right after I clicked send. However since
it is also a common problem when posting from GG, maybe some
other readers of this thread will find it useful.

Re the specific problem mentioned, I just paste the original
message into an emacs window, add the quote marks and paste back
into the GG compose window.

Another alternative is to use "paste as quotation" into a mail
client compose window, and then paste back into GG. A small
PITA but not a big deal if GG is otherwise convenient.

But perhaps the same mentality that makes it just sooo hard
to read a double spaced post (that one is willing to killfile
a whole class of participants) is the same mentality that
makes sooo hard to correct such posts to begin with.

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 07:07:20 -0700 (PDT)
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Re the specific problem mentioned, I just paste the original
> message into an emacs window, add the quote marks and paste back
> into the GG compose window.

If you are on Firefox you should check out the "It's All Text!"
plugin. Not sure if it is available for other browsers.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <(E-Mail Removed)> | Democracy is three wolves
IM: (E-Mail Removed)