Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Lost emails

Lost emails

Geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:16:02 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
>>in message news:k64js1$i0b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In article <k61onq$4ci$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Geopelia"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:
>>> (snip)

>>> Actually you don't. You can continue to use XP if you want to without
>>> the
>>> 'updates'.
>>> If it works now, it's likely to continue to work ... and XP is one of
>>> MS'
>>> better offerings. Yes, it's old ... but we know that old isn't
>>> necessarily
>>> bad ... don't we.
>>>

>>I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before
>>the
>>computer firm changed it.
>>What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.
>>
>>The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them
>>do.
>>

> They come in once a month Plus your computer is to OLD to run the latest
> Windows.

Is that Windows 8? I don't think I want that, it looks very complicated.
Like a mobile phone, we don't have one of those.

Perhaps they will do a Windows 9 that anyone can use.

The update people say what the computer needs. I think I've got enough SP
versions

Something comes in from Microsoft, or I can get it from the Start menu.

Trend Micro has just sent me a disc for 2013. I haven't installed it yet.
I managed to install the last one, and if I get stuck the computer man will
do it.

If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck some
more memory in it last time.

Gordon

On 2012-10-23, Bruce Sinclair <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:
> In article <k671ek$ue$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>>
>>I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before the
>>computer firm changed it.
>>What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.

Kool! An old pice of hardware still delivering the goods. I read a few ng
and many of the posters ahve new hardware, and some do not.

>>The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them do.

> Really ? First thing I do is to turn auto updates off. I want to decide what
> gets 'updated' ... and I sure wouldn't want to leave that choice to MS.

Good on you Bruce. However have you considered, Geo, as a user; vs the enemy
out there?

While Ms Windows is off my shopping list, I have to say that in recent years
she has got somewhat better at helping the average Jane Doe from the attacks
of the nsaty people out there.

So, in my view, Geo; go with the updates. The enemy adpats, and users (OS)
have to also.

Software programmes, like evolution, are never completed.

Frank Williams

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:23:04 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:16:02 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
>>>in message news:k64js1$i0b$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before
>>>the
>>>computer firm changed it.
>>>What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.
>>>
>>>The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them
>>>do.
>>>

>> They come in once a month Plus your computer is to OLD to run the latest
>> Windows.

>Is that Windows 8? I don't think I want that, it looks very complicated.
>Like a mobile phone, we don't have one of those.
>
>Perhaps they will do a Windows 9 that anyone can use.
>
>The update people say what the computer needs. I think I've got enough SP
>versions
>
>Something comes in from Microsoft, or I can get it from the Start menu.
>
>Trend Micro has just sent me a disc for 2013. I haven't installed it yet.
>I managed to install the last one, and if I get stuck the computer man will
>do it.
>
>If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck some
>more memory in it last time.

XP should have SP3 installed.

Forget WIN 8 no one likes it..

wrote:

>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:16:02 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
>>>in message news:k64js1$i0b$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before
>>>the
>>>computer firm changed it.
>>>What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.
>>>
>>>The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them
>>>do.
>>>

>> They come in once a month Plus your computer is to OLD to run the latest
>> Windows.

>Is that Windows 8? I don't think I want that, it looks very complicated.
>Like a mobile phone, we don't have one of those.
>
>Perhaps they will do a Windows 9 that anyone can use.
>
>The update people say what the computer needs. I think I've got enough SP
>versions
>
>Something comes in from Microsoft, or I can get it from the Start menu.
>
>Trend Micro has just sent me a disc for 2013. I haven't installed it yet.
>I managed to install the last one, and if I get stuck the computer man will
>do it.
>
>If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck some
>more memory in it last time.

If you want to think of Windows 7 MS has a program to test your PC if
it can work on it..

Gordon

On 2012-10-24, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck some
> more memory in it last time.

Wise choice, more RAM is always good. Like old people old computers benefit
from more memory

Geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:23:04 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> They come in once a month Plus your computer is to OLD to run the latest
>>> Windows.

>>Is that Windows 8? I don't think I want that, it looks very complicated.
>>Like a mobile phone, we don't have one of those.
>>
>>Perhaps they will do a Windows 9 that anyone can use.
>>
>>The update people say what the computer needs. I think I've got enough SP
>>versions
>>
>>Something comes in from Microsoft, or I can get it from the Start menu.
>>
>>Trend Micro has just sent me a disc for 2013. I haven't installed it yet.
>>I managed to install the last one, and if I get stuck the computer man
>>will
>>do it.
>>
>>If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck
>>some
>>more memory in it last time.
>>

> XP should have SP3 installed.
>
> Forget WIN 8 no one likes it..

Yes. it's got SP3 now.

The last disc I got from Trend Micro checked the computer to see if I had
got the necessary things.
I suppose this 2013 disc will do the same.
I have to pay again in March 2013. I expect they will let me know.

Geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2012-10-24, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck
>> some
>> more memory in it last time.
>>

> Wise choice, more RAM is always good. Like old people old computers
> benefit
> from more memory

I stick things in Favourites if I think I can't remember them.
Or look up what people tell me here.

Enkidu

On 24/10/12 17:09, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <50872bcf$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 24/10/12 12:12, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>> In article <k671ek$ue$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Geopelia"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> wrote:
>>> (snip)
>>> Really ? First thing I do is to turn auto updates off. I want to
>>> decide what gets 'updated' ... and I sure wouldn't want to leave
>>> that choice to MS.

>> Do you actually check what each one is for, Bruce?

> Um, yes.
>
>> I used to do that back in the days of Windows 95/98. But I've not
>> done it for ages. I just accept the lot. These day there is very
>> very rarely a dud.

> But ... sometimes there is. I hasten to add that the update conveyor
> is one of the reasons I abandoned windows for home use.

I've not had an issue in many years. I used to get them all the time.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On 26/10/12 07:03, EMB wrote:
> On 25/10/2012 10:00 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
>> On 24/10/12 17:09, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>>> But ... sometimes there is. I hasten to add that the update conveyor
>>> is one of the reasons I abandoned windows for home use.
>>>

>> I've not had an issue in many years. I used to get them all the time.

> I still check them all for both desktop and server OSs - there's not
> much option to do otherwise at large enterprise level as enough issues
> still arise* to have a business impact.
>
> * badly behaved old apps which should have been replaced years ago have
> a habit of breaking.

Yeah, agreed, but Geo's not a large enterprise!

Cheers,

Cliff

Geopelia

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:508a07b1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 26/10/12 07:03, EMB wrote:

>>> I've not had an issue in many years. I used to get them all the time.

>> I still check them all for both desktop and server OSs - there's not
>> much option to do otherwise at large enterprise level as enough issues
>> still arise* to have a business impact.
>>
>> * badly behaved old apps which should have been replaced years ago have
>> a habit of breaking.
> >

> Yeah, agreed, but Geo's not a large enterprise!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Facebook sometimes wants to put in apps. I don't know what apps are so don't
agree.