Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RE: Python does not take up available physical memory

RE: Python does not take up available physical memory

Prasad, Ramit

Pradipto Banerjee wrote:

> Thanks, I tried that. Still got MemoryError, but at least this time python tried to use the physical memory.
> What I noticed is that before it gave me the error it used up to 1.5GB (of the 2.23 GB originally showed as
> available) - so in general, python takes up more memory than the size of the file itself.

Of course it will. Python has to keep its own code in memory and
load the file. Not to mention that the file is converted from data
into a Python object with its own overhead.

Ramit Prasad