Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Problem with system restore/recover.

Problem with system restore/recover.

R. Giggs.

> Well, I have now loaded the bad drive as a slave and I immediately
> notice a big problem!!!!!!!!
>
> There is no windows folder, indeed when I look in the root directory
> there are no files listed starting with any letter greater than 'n'.
> So last folder is 'notlisteddrivers', and last file is
> 'notepadfile.txt'!!!!!!!!!
>
> Which is pretty weird!!!!!!
>
> I found this when I went to look for C:\WINDOWS\system32\config when the
> even log is stored
> but of course it is not there!!!
>
> It is really strange!!
> So a lot is missing, including program files, which is a lot.
>
> I do not understand how his can happen really, I mean the file must have
> been there for the initial minorish setting problem so it seems they all
> disappeared
> during the restore?
>
> But how could that happen? I mean of the file system the files are not
> stored in
> alpabetical order as far as I am aware.
>
> Can't understand it at all.
>
> A few points,
>
> 1) I don't want to run anything on the drive because I think the info must
> still physically be there (perhaps?)
> It normally takes a long time to delete alot of data?
>
> 2) I don't think a faulty drive would manifest a problem in alpabetical
> order?
>
> 3) I also note the recycle bin has gone AWOL
>
> 4) The 'good news' is that it is not that long ago snce I cloned the
> drive, looking back at my posts
> it seems I did that just after 23 august I can see that from my previous
> posts here although oddly
> some of them seem to be missing, particularly the ones when I report
> success in cloneing and running on
> the cloned drive. So that is 2 months of data lost but nothing too
> important I think.
>
> 5) Maybe I will get that new PC tomorow!!!
>
> 6) I notice the drive is quite full only 15gig out of 256gig free so most
> of the stuff must
> still be physically there. Is there any software to find deleted files and
> restore them?

Actually I just realised there were a few important things on the desktop
but fortunately
the desktop is still there!!

So I will be sepending some time recovering what I want, might also be a
good time to do a back up!!

R. Giggs.

news:k5tees$n7b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. Giggs. wrote:
>
>> One other thinig is Ihave been thinking about getting a new PC for a
>> while,
>> soit may be a good time to get another.
>>
>> Maybe this one
>> http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent...85320-pdt.html

> Are you actually buying it from that page ?
> When I view that page, there's a half-rendered "Out Of Stock" button
> in the upper right. Maybe the page looks different in your browser.

Actually I may have clicked the wrong one, there were two one was out
of stock so maybe I copied the wrong link I will have to check!!

> The only problem I'd have with Advent, is what kind of support
> do you get ? Does anyone answer the phone when you call their
> tech support or service ? Do they care about their customers at all ?

I don't think I every had telephone support with either of my previous
PC's so it is not something I'd miss, HP did have pretty good suport on it's
site though.

Quite franklky it probably would not be that good and you are better off
lookingon
the net.

> I'd at least want to be sure the refurbished machine can make
> recovery media, as the first step to carry out when you get it.
> When I got my laptop, I spent two days preparing all that kinda
> crap (including a backup image of the hard drive, just to be
> sure).

I will have to check.

Can't any worse than the HP recovery which wiped half the drive!!!!

I could probably do something withmy 3 gig hard drive to make a back up,
not really though about it much.

> Paul

R. Giggs.

news:k5tep7$okt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> you'll be losing everything.
>>>
>>> http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
>>>
>>> That tool has a "Health" window. You look for these
>>> two particular statistics. And check the Data field to see
>>> if it has gone to a non-zero value. If so, then post back
>>> the particular.
>>>
>>> Current Worst Threshold Data Status
>>> Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 97 0 <----
>>> Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 <----
>>>
>>> Each disk drive maker, has test programs you can use to test
>>> the disks. It's good to acquire these tools when the disk is
>>> new and has no data on it, then make yourself familiar with
>>> how to run a test.
>>>
>>> If could be, that no amount of repair work will be effective,
>>> if there is an underlying hardware problem. So at least
>>> do some checks to make sure you have "good material" to work
>>> with.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> Well, I have now loaded the bad drive as a slave and I immediately
>> notice a big problem!!!!!!!!
>>
>> There is no windows folder, indeed when I look in the root directory
>> there are no files listed starting with any letter greater than 'n'.
>> So last folder is 'notlisteddrivers', and last file is
>> 'notepadfile.txt'!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Which is pretty weird!!!!!!
>>
>> I found this when I went to look for C:\WINDOWS\system32\config when the
>> even log is stored
>> but of course it is not there!!!
>>
>> It is really strange!!
>> So a lot is missing, including program files, which is a lot.
>>
>> I do not understand how his can happen really, I mean the file must have
>> been there for the initial minorish setting problem so it seems they all
>> disappeared
>> during the restore?
>>
>> But how could that happen? I mean of the file system the files are not
>> stored in
>> alpabetical order as far as I am aware.
>>
>> Can't understand it at all.
>>
>> A few points,
>>
>> 1) I don't want to run anything on the drive because I think the info
>> must still physically be there (perhaps?)
>> It normally takes a long time to delete alot of data?
>>
>> 2) I don't think a faulty drive would manifest a problem in alpabetical
>> order?
>>
>> 3) I also note the recycle bin has gone AWOL
>>
>> 4) The 'good news' is that it is not that long ago snce I cloned the
>> drive, looking back at my posts
>> it seems I did that just after 23 august I can see that from my previous
>> posts here although oddly
>> some of them seem to be missing, particularly the ones when I report
>> success in cloneing and running on
>> the cloned drive. So that is 2 months of data lost but nothing too
>> important I think.
>>
>> 5) Maybe I will get that new PC tomorow!!!
>>
>> 6) I notice the drive is quite full only 15gig out of 256gig free so most
>> of the stuff must
>> still be physically there. Is there any software to find deleted files

I might have one from a long time ago, I know I made a few
not sure if you need a password but as you can't store one on a CD
I guess I won't need one.
There used to be a ubunto wubi partion but I forgot the password!!

However I should be able to make a new unbuntu CD.

> I'd be booting up the Ubuntu, and browser the disk from
> there, and see if files "greater than N" are visible there.
>
> The only thing I know of, with a "taste for the absurd" like
> picking on particular file name letters, is malware. Rootkits
> have been known to hide all the files, beginning with a
> certain letter.
>
> I don't know of any (logical) mechanism, in terms of how the
> file system is structured, to explain a weird taste in
> file names. Even "unhide.exe" style problems, I don't
> think they're name sensitive.

Yes it's very odd, I thought some other big files were missing but I
may be mistaken, I have a lot of checking to do.

I do not see how it is physicaly possible to delte so much stuff in a short
period of time assuming the files are randomly scattered.

It's really odd, maybe I have a virus but I don't recall downloading
anything unusualy the previous day.

But I have lot to think about, I could even try copying back the missisng
files,
ie windows and program files mainly and some other missing files in hte root
directory but I need to think about it because there maybe better options.
I am aware once I start writing to the drive I could over write stuff that
is marked as deleted.

That program to check the disk may write to it for example.

Fortunatlely this drive is only 2 months older, so it's not that bad and
most of
my data was on the desktop and I have recovered most of that which I want.

That clone program would work sector by sector so no alphabetical bias
there.

I wil have to give it some though over theneext day or to to decide what to
do.
I will see how it goes.

Thanks for you input and help, it's appreciated!!

> Paul

R. Giggs.

?

>> Do you have your Ubuntu CD handy ?

> I might have one from a long time ago, I know I made a few
> not sure if you need a password but as you can't store one on a CD
> I guess I won't need one.
> There used to be a ubunto wubi partion but I forgot the password!!
>
> However I should be able to make a new unbuntu CD.
>

>> I'd be booting up the Ubuntu, and browser the disk from
>> there, and see if files "greater than N" are visible there.
>>
>> The only thing I know of, with a "taste for the absurd" like
>> picking on particular file name letters, is malware. Rootkits
>> have been known to hide all the files, beginning with a
>> certain letter.
>>
>> I don't know of any (logical) mechanism, in terms of how the
>> file system is structured, to explain a weird taste in
>> file names. Even "unhide.exe" style problems, I don't
>> think they're name sensitive.

> Yes it's very odd, I thought some other big files were missing but I
> may be mistaken, I have a lot of checking to do.
>
> I do not see how it is physicaly possible to delte so much stuff in a
> short
> period of time assuming the files are randomly scattered.
>
> It's really odd, maybe I have a virus but I don't recall downloading
> anything unusualy the previous day.
>
> But I have lot to think about, I could even try copying back the missisng
> files,
> ie windows and program files mainly and some other missing files in hte
> root
> directory but I need to think about it because there maybe better options.
> I am aware once I start writing to the drive I could over write stuff that
> is marked as deleted.
>
> That program to check the disk may write to it for example.
>
> Fortunatlely this drive is only 2 months older, so it's not that bad and
> most of
> my data was on the desktop and I have recovered most of that which I want.
>
> That clone program would work sector by sector so no alphabetical bias
> there.
>
> I wil have to give it some though over theneext day or to to decide what
> to do.
> I will see how it goes.
>
> Thanks for you input and help, it's appreciated!!
>>
>> Paul

Well strange thing, I found my ubuntu discs which had never really used so
can't
remember what was on them.
Anyway booted on the unubtu and it did a memeory scan OK then came up
with drive failure imminent on the faluty drive, no surprise really.
Said press f1 for setup and f2 to continue but doing either seemed to do
nothing,
hung on a black screen for about 5 mins before I gave up.

Anyhow I took ubuntu disc out and reboted, same thing happened.

Then I disconnect drive 2 and it reboooted OK at least got to the boot menu.
SO i reconnected it and rebooted up and I am up with the good and the bad
drive in
same as before.

I am doing a chkdsk on the bad drive, past phase one on phase two but i
remember
that takes forever so I may have to abort. Don't think it reports error
untill the end
so probably best to abort and try something else.

> [...]

>> important I think.
>>
>> 5) Maybe I will get that new PC tomorow!!!
>>
>> 6) I notice the drive is quite full only 15gig out of 256gig free so most
>> of the stuff must
>> still be physically there. Is there any software to find deleted files
>> and restore them?

> Do you have your Ubuntu CD handy ?
>
> I'd be booting up the Ubuntu, and browser the disk from
> there, and see if files "greater than N" are visible there.
>
> The only thing I know of, with a "taste for the absurd" like
> picking on particular file name letters, is malware. Rootkits
> have been known to hide all the files, beginning with a
> certain letter.
>
> I don't know of any (logical) mechanism, in terms of how the
> file system is structured, to explain a weird taste in
> file names. Even "unhide.exe" style problems, I don't

You were right about that PC being out of stock!!
Too good to be true!!
Probably just do that to get people to the store!!

R. Giggs.

>> I don't know of any (logical) mechanism, in terms of how the
>> file system is structured, to explain a weird taste in
>> file names. Even "unhide.exe" style problems, I don't
>> think they're name sensitive.
>>
>> Paul

> You were right about that PC being out of stock!!
> Too good to be true!!
> Probably just do that to get people to the store!!

Infact nearly all the refurbished
PCs listed are unavailable apart from the
low spec ones.

Paul

R. Giggs. wrote:

> I am doing a chkdsk on the bad drive, past phase one on phase two but i
> remember
> that takes forever so I may have to abort. Don't think it reports error
> untill the end
> so probably best to abort and try something else.

I wouldn't run CHKDSK on a disk that is demonstrating
bad sectors.

The only thing I would want to do with a bad disk,
is get the data off it, as best as possible. When
the data is copied, sector by sector to a good disk,
then I'd run CHKDSK. If the disk is damaged, there's
no sense doing a file by file copy, because there
could be a lot of directory damage. Whereas a sector
by sector copy, isn't trying to interpret the data.
Only later, when you use other file/directory oriented
tools, will you be finding out how really busted it is.
But when a disk is sick, you try to get as many
sectors of it off as possible.

If I had to do that, I'd try something like ddrescue
as mentioned here. The first pass of this, keeps track
of what has been successfully copied. Subsequent passes
are supposed to use the log file, to figure out what
remains to be copied. In a sense, this is a "persistent"
version of the regular "dd" copier.

"Antonio Diaz's GNU ddrescue"

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk

If the regular version of "dd" copies the whole disk,
and does not stop on an error, then you don't need
ddrescue. But if "dd" can't finish, then you know
there is damage causing actual CRC errors. And then,
you need to work around them, and get the data on
either side of the sector that is really damaged
(no longer recoverable).

*******

I can find other references to such a tool:

There is a windows version of the Diaz program here, but
it's compiled under Cygwin. I don't know how easy that
is to set up. You might want to read up on Cygwin first.
When I use ported tools, I usually try for a gnuwin32
version. ( http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html )
This one is built under Cygwin.

http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnu-win32/release/ddrescue/

There is another program here, along similar lines.
I don't know anything about this, because I just found it.
It has a GUI, which is a major improvement compared
to the ddrescue command line approach.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/v3/drdd.htm

Paul

R. Giggs.

news:k5u39j$nfq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. Giggs. wrote:
>

>> I am doing a chkdsk on the bad drive, past phase one on phase two but i
>> remember
>> that takes forever so I may have to abort. Don't think it reports error
>> untill the end
>> so probably best to abort and try something else.

> I wouldn't run CHKDSK on a disk that is demonstrating
> bad sectors.

Well whatver the case I have ran it but I didn't tell it to
repair anything, ie I ticked no boxes, anyhow it finished with
and error, somethink like chkdsk failed to complete, I have had that
error before on good drives. I think.

> The only thing I would want to do with a bad disk,
> is get the data off it, as best as possible.

Well I am coopying the stuff off a bunch at a time, one copy
failed with a crc error, that was just one one file I think,
however I will try adn copy it again, I kow where it is approx.

Most of what is left on the disk is off little value, well some might
be, what I mean is this disk is only about 2 month older so most of
it is the same. But still I will grab what I can.
The big item on the is 83 GIG of recorded TV, mainly football which I know I
will
never watch agian so I am not sure why I bother.

Also I ran diskcheckup on it, I think you recommended it before
it's som sot of SMART tool or something but i flags up an error
the drive is marked red as not a smart drive but I think that is because
the drive is faulty.

> When
> the data is copied, sector by sector to a good disk,
> then I'd run CHKDSK. If the disk is damaged, there's
> no sense doing a file by file copy, because there
> could be a lot of directory damage. Whereas a sector
> by sector copy, isn't trying to interpret the data.
> Only later, when you use other file/directory oriented
> tools, will you be finding out how really busted it is.
> But when a disk is sick, you try to get as many
> sectors of it off as possible.

Never done a secor by sector copy before apart from with the drive cloning.
Most of what is missing is windows and program files which I basically have
here already so it's more of academic interest recovering the files if I
can.

> If I had to do that, I'd try something like ddrescue
> as mentioned here. The first pass of this, keeps track
> of what has been successfully copied. Subsequent passes
> are supposed to use the log file, to figure out what
> remains to be copied. In a sense, this is a "persistent"
> version of the regular "dd" copier.
>
> "Antonio Diaz's GNU ddrescue"
>
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk
>
> If the regular version of "dd" copies the whole disk,
> and does not stop on an error, then you don't need
> ddrescue. But if "dd" can't finish, then you know
> there is damage causing actual CRC errors. And then,
> you need to work around them, and get the data on
> either side of the sector that is really damaged
> (no longer recoverable).
>
> *******
>
> I can find other references to such a tool:
>
> There is a windows version of the Diaz program here, but
> it's compiled under Cygwin. I don't know how easy that
> is to set up. You might want to read up on Cygwin first.

Yes I think I will, it looksof interest.

> When I use ported tools, I usually try for a gnuwin32
> version. ( http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html )
> This one is built under Cygwin.
>
> http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnu-win32/release/ddrescue/
>
> There is another program here, along similar lines.
> I don't know anything about this, because I just found it.
> It has a GUI, which is a major improvement compared
> to the ddrescue command line approach.
>
> http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/v3/drdd.htm
>
> Paul

Thanks for all that, I will look into it, one thing I am unsure if I
mentioned
is I tried some undelete files software, something called recuva, I am not
sur if
you recomended it or not but anyway it did not seem to find anything of
interest
just some stuff I deleted agas ago, and nothing that looked like what was
missing.

Anyway I have been thinking about what is missing and how it went missing,
I don't really know much about the file system at all but it does seem from
what has
happened that the files are stored in abcdef order and that something has
'splatted'
over the middle.
I tried reading about the NTFS but it's not easy to read unless I can find a
simple
esailly explained explaination I can under stand.

Anyway I was going to get a new PC today but it looks like the choice is
severly limited.

I was woried about being left without a PC,
However as this seems to be a physical problem I am less worried, if I have
problems with this drive the syetm restyore or recovery should work.

Here is one of my best options for a PC
http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Computer-Ba...se-Unit/124470

It's HP and I could pick it up today I think, but it is unclear, it says
available in my area
but they may mean for delivery.
Small hard drive, 500gb and only 4gb memory. But you can upgrade those I
suppose.

R. Giggs.

news:k5tees$n7b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. Giggs. wrote:
>
>> One other thinig is Ihave been thinking about getting a new PC for a
>> while,
>> soit may be a good time to get another.
>>
>> Maybe this one
>> http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent...85320-pdt.html

> Are you actually buying it from that page ?
> When I view that page, there's a half-rendered "Out Of Stock" button
> in the upper right. Maybe the page looks different in your browser.
>
> The only problem I'd have with Advent, is what kind of support
> do you get ? Does anyone answer the phone when you call their
> tech support or service ? Do they care about their customers at all ?
>
> I'd at least want to be sure the refurbished machine can make
> recovery media, as the first step to carry out when you get it.
> When I got my laptop, I spent two days preparing all that kinda
> crap (including a backup image of the hard drive, just to be
> sure).
>
> Paul

Yes although I kind of dismissed that earlier it is becoming more of a
concern.
I have only every had HP, so it is a bit of a step into the dark for me.
My brother was always re-installing his operating system when he had
problems,
I guess he did not have a recovery facility, I wondered why had never done
that.

So I am not sure what to get and what I wanted to after looking the second
time
is not available to pick up from the store so I would not be getting it
today anyway.

Looking at the ones for around 450 here
http://www.comet.co.uk/c/Desktop-Com...e|0&perPage=12

Don't think I will be able to get an i7 without a big price hike giving poor
value.
I need to go down and see what they actualy havein stock I suppose.

R. Giggs.

news:k5u39j$nfq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. Giggs. wrote:
>

>> I am doing a chkdsk on the bad drive, past phase one on phase two but i
>> remember
>> that takes forever so I may have to abort. Don't think it reports error
>> untill the end
>> so probably best to abort and try something else.

> I wouldn't run CHKDSK on a disk that is demonstrating
> bad sectors.
>
> The only thing I would want to do with a bad disk,
> is get the data off it, as best as possible. When
> the data is copied, sector by sector to a good disk,
> then I'd run CHKDSK. If the disk is damaged, there's
> no sense doing a file by file copy, because there
> could be a lot of directory damage. Whereas a sector
> by sector copy, isn't trying to interpret the data.
> Only later, when you use other file/directory oriented
> tools, will you be finding out how really busted it is.
> But when a disk is sick, you try to get as many
> sectors of it off as possible.
>
> If I had to do that, I'd try something like ddrescue
> as mentioned here. The first pass of this, keeps track
> of what has been successfully copied. Subsequent passes
> are supposed to use the log file, to figure out what
> remains to be copied. In a sense, this is a "persistent"
> version of the regular "dd" copier.
>
> "Antonio Diaz's GNU ddrescue"
>
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk
>
> If the regular version of "dd" copies the whole disk,
> and does not stop on an error, then you don't need
> ddrescue. But if "dd" can't finish, then you know
> there is damage causing actual CRC errors. And then,
> you need to work around them, and get the data on
> either side of the sector that is really damaged
> (no longer recoverable).
>
> *******
>
> I can find other references to such a tool:
>
> There is a windows version of the Diaz program here, but
> it's compiled under Cygwin. I don't know how easy that
> is to set up. You might want to read up on Cygwin first.
> When I use ported tools, I usually try for a gnuwin32
> version. ( http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html )
> This one is built under Cygwin.
>
> http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnu-win32/release/ddrescue/
>
> There is another program here, along similar lines.
> I don't know anything about this, because I just found it.
> It has a GUI, which is a major improvement compared
> to the ddrescue command line approach.
>
> http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/v3/drdd.htm
>
> Paul

LOL!! I can't believe my eyes!!!

I was just googling lost file, in particular "half folder missing" and I
came across this:-

http://www.pchell.com/support/unhidefiles.shtml

Which says:-
===============
To Unhide files and folders that Windows Diagnostic, Windows XP Restore and
other malware hide

For Windows XP

1) Click on Start, Run
2) Type CMD and press Enter
3) At the command prompt type the following and press Enter

CD \

4) Now the command prompt should show the root folder of the hard drive.
Most likely C:\
5) At the command prompt type the following and press Enter

ATTRIB -H *.* /S /D

This command will unhide the files that are currently hidden. Because the
important system files have a system attribute attached to them as well, the
above command will not work for them and they will be skipped and kept
hidden from prying eyes.

This command will take some time, so dont be afraid if it takes anywhere
from a few minutes to half an hour to finish. What the command does is
simple. It removes the hidden attribute from all files on the hard drive.
The /S parameter tells it to search the current folder and all subfolders,
while the /D parameter processes tthe folders as well.

6) Type Exit and press Enter when the procedure is complete. Then reboot
your computer

Anyhow, I didn't do all that I just ran CMD and went to G: where all the
missing files
were, then I typed DIR and all the files seem to be there!!!

Do I didn't really do anything other than do a DIR on the damaged folder!?

When I look again from windows all the files are listed as well!!