From: Python-list [mailtoython-list-bounces+pradipto.banerjee=adainvestments.com@pytho n.org] On Behalf Of Ian Kelly
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 2:48 PM
To: Python
Subject: Re: Python does not take up available physical memory

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Pradipto Banerjee
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there any reason why python can't read a 1GB file in memory even when a
> 2.3 GB physical memory is available? Do I need to make a change in some
> setting or preferences?
>

> I am using python(x,y) distribution (python 2.7) and use Spyder as the IDE.

Probably you're using a 32-bit Python build, and Windows wasn't able
to allocate enough contiguous virtual memory for the process.

Try using a 64-bit build instead.

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be, nor should it be construed or used as, financial, legal, tax or investment advice or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy, an interest in any fund advised by Ada Investment Management LP, the Investment advisor. Any offer or solicitation of an investment in any of the Funds may be made only by delivery of such Funds confidential offering materials to authorized prospective investors. An investment in any of the Funds is not suitable for all investors. No representation is made that the Fundswill or are likely to achieve their objectives, or that any investor will or is likely to achieve results comparable to those shown, or will make anyprofit at all or will be able to avoid incurring substantial losses. Performance results are net of applicable fees, are unaudited and reflect reinvestment of income and profits. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. All financial data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.

Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of Ada Investment Management LP and its affiliates. This transmission may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.

Steven D'Aprano

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 14:04:21 -0500, Pradipto Banerjee wrote:

> I have a 32-bit machine. Can I install a 64-bit build even if my PC is
> 32-bit?

No. Well, you could try, and if the installer did no error checking it
might even install the 64-bit exe onto your computer, but it would crash
when you try to run it.

A 64-bit build requires a 64-bit operating system and 64-bit hardware. A
32-bit build can be used in either system.

--
Steven