Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

Re: A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

Steven D'Aprano

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:18:47 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2012-10-20, Dennis Lee Bieber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Strangely, we've gone from 80-character fixed width displays to
>> who-knows-what (if I drop my font size I can probably get nearly 200
>> characters across in full-screen mode)...
>>
>> But at the same time we've gone from 132-character line-printers
>> using fan-fold 11x17 pages, to office inkjet/laser printers using
>> 8.5x11 paper, defaulting to portrait orientation -- with a 10
>> character/inch font, and 1/4" left/right margins, we're back to 80
>> character limitation
>><G>

> True, but nobody prints source code out on paper do they?

I do.

There's nothing better than spreading out a dozen sheets of source code
over a table to get a good, high-level overview of what does what in
preparation to refactoring it.

> Seriously -- I can't remember the last time I printed souce code...

I've never printed souce code either *wink*

--
Steven

Chris Angelico

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Steven D'Aprano
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:18:47 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> True, but nobody prints source code out on paper do they?

> I do.
>
> There's nothing better than spreading out a dozen sheets of source code
> over a table to get a good, high-level overview of what does what in
> preparation to refactoring it.
>
>> Seriously -- I can't remember the last time I printed souce code...

> I've never printed souce code either *wink*

So what you actually mean is that there's nothing _like_ spreading out
&c &c. I should think that throwing cold water over the code would be
better.

ChrisA

Steven D'Aprano

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 20:20:41 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:18:47 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>> True, but nobody prints source code out on paper do they?

>> I do.
>>
>> There's nothing better than spreading out a dozen sheets of source code
>> over a table to get a good, high-level overview of what does what in
>> preparation to refactoring it.
>>
>>> Seriously -- I can't remember the last time I printed souce code...

>> I've never printed souce code either *wink*

> So what you actually mean is that there's nothing _like_ spreading out
> &c &c. I should think that throwing cold water over the code would be
> better.

Er, no. Note spelling of "source code" vs "souce code". Hence the grin.

I seriously do print out source code. When I'm having trouble seeing how
the parts of a module fit together, reading print-outs is a good way
around the problem. Class browsers don't show you duplicate code, and
besides, only works with classes. Reading code on screen is limited in
how much you can see at a time. Both of these things play a part in
refactoring, and so does printing out the source and having a human being
(i.e. me) look at it.

--
Steven

Tim Chase

On 10/21/12 05:00, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I seriously do print out source code. When I'm having trouble
> seeing how the parts of a module fit together, reading print-outs
> is a good way around the problem.

I don't print my personal code--both in light of the fact that I
know it much more intimately and I longer own a printer. But when
trying to wrap my head around other people's code at work, printing
helps to get both the big picture and the details at the same time,
as well as allows me to annotate it with multi-colored
pens/highlighters.

Maybe I'll reconsider when I have a 300+ dpi desktop surface that is
as large as my desk+walls (where those printouts end up).

-tkc

Gene Heskett

On Sunday 21 October 2012 07:02:26 Steven D'Aprano did opine:

> On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:18:47 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> > On 2012-10-20, Dennis Lee Bieber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Strangely, we've gone from 80-character fixed width displays to
> >>
> >> who-knows-what (if I drop my font size I can probably get nearly 200
> >> characters across in full-screen mode)...
> >>
> >> But at the same time we've gone from 132-character line-printers
> >>
> >> using fan-fold 11x17 pages, to office inkjet/laser printers using
> >> 8.5x11 paper, defaulting to portrait orientation -- with a 10
> >> character/inch font, and 1/4" left/right margins, we're back to 80
> >> character limitation
> >>
> >><G>
> >>

> > True, but nobody prints source code out on paper do they?

> I do.
>
> There's nothing better than spreading out a dozen sheets of source code
> over a table to get a good, high-level overview of what does what in
> preparation to refactoring it.
>
> > Seriously -- I can't remember the last time I printed souce code...

> I've never printed souce code either *wink*

So do I, but I often am looking at assembler listings with the assembler
set for 132 chars a line to preserve the src codes comments, so lp gets a
use 17 cpi option on the cli that makes the listing. I probably recycle 2
reams of paper a year doing exactly that. Those who won't take advantage
of that are doomed to publish buggy code.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Not all men who drink are poets. Some of us drink because we aren't poets.

Chris Angelico

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Steven D'Aprano
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Er, no. Note spelling of "source code" vs "souce code". Hence the grin.

Ahh. I totally didn't see that, I'm way too used to reading past
typos. Sure. Printing out *source* code, that's altogether different.

Me, though, I don't print anything. Paper and I are not exactly on
speaking terms; the last time we met, he cut me, and that's one of the
rudest things you can do to someone.

ChrisA

DJC

On 20/10/12 15:18, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2012-10-20, Dennis Lee Bieber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Strangely, we've gone from 80-character fixed width displays to
>> who-knows-what (if I drop my font size I can probably get nearly 200
>> characters across in full-screen mode)...
>>
>> But at the same time we've gone from 132-character line-printers
>> using fan-fold 11x17 pages, to office inkjet/laser printers using 8.5x11
>> paper, defaulting to portrait orientation -- with a 10 character/inch
>> font, and 1/4" left/right margins, we're back to 80 character limitation
>> <G>

> True, but nobody prints source code out on paper do they?

I print source code. Usually when the development has got to a stage
that the program works but needs a lot of tidying up. It's a lot more
comfortable than scrolling up and down screen to look through pages from
the comfort of an armchair. Also I can take the listing to a Café and
write notes all over it. Sometimes removing the temptation to
immediately hit the keyboard is a good thing.

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 20:20:41 +1100, Chris Angelico <(E-Mail Removed)>

> So what you actually mean is that there's nothing _like_ spreading out
> &c &c. I should think that throwing cold water over the code would be
> better.

Only if it's mongrelizing with PERL
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN

Steven D'Aprano

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 22:43:07 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Er, no. Note spelling of "source code" vs "souce code". Hence the grin.

> Ahh. I totally didn't see that, I'm way too used to reading past typos.

As a programmer, doesn't that screw up your debugging ability?

> Sure. Printing out *source* code, that's altogether different.
>
> Me, though, I don't print anything. Paper and I are not exactly on
> speaking terms; the last time we met, he cut me, and that's one of the
> rudest things you can do to someone.

Man, you must have deserved it. Paper, he don't just cut anybody.

--
Steven

Grant Edwards

On 2012-10-21, Steven D'Aprano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 22:43:07 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Er, no. Note spelling of "source code" vs "souce code". Hence the grin.

>> Ahh. I totally didn't see that, I'm way too used to reading past typos.

> As a programmer, doesn't that screw up your debugging ability?

Indeed it does.

I spent a half hour the other day trying to figure out what was wrong
with a line of PHP code, when it was nothing but a mis-spelled
variable name. [I've only been working with PHP a short time, but
have quickly grown to dislike it.]

--
Grant