Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Deployment tools using Python (was: unittest for system testing)

Re: Deployment tools using Python (was: unittest for system testing)

Dwight Hutto

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rita <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Currently, I use a shell script to test how my system behaves before I
>> deploy an application. For instance, I check if fileA, fileB, and
>> fileC exist and if they do I go and start up my application.

> The operating system shell, or the deployment framework of choice, is
> best suited to that I think.
>
>> This works great BUT
>>
>> I would like to use python and in particular unittest module to test my
>> system and then deploy my app. I understand unittest is for functional
>> testing

>100000000000000000000000000000000000000000
> Well, unittest is for unit testing (testing of small isolated units of
> the code). There are many definitions of “functional testing”, and I
> don't think ‘unittest’ is a good choice for any of them.
>
>> but I think this too would be a case for it.

> Reserve the term “testing” for testing the code of your application, I'd
> recommend. Libraries designed for “testing” are not good outside that
> domain.
>
>> Any thoughts?

The unittests are just a basic framework to build upon. Logging and
testing your own functions/classes is something that come in the
pre-algorithm of the app you wish to deploy.

--
Best Regards,
David Hutto

alex23

On Oct 18, 1:39*pm, Dwight Hutto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Logging and
> testing your own functions/classes is something that come in the
> pre-algorithm of the app you wish to deploy.

What is a pre-algorithm?

Dwight Hutto

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM, alex23 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 1:39 pm, Dwight Hutto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Logging and
>> testing your own functions/classes is something that come in the
>> pre-algorithm of the app you wish to deploy.

> What is a pre-algorithm?

Pseudo code that shows what the actual algorithm will have. Like a
rough draft algorithm. Tossing the idea around in your mind is what I
meant.