Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Pigeon Camera

Re: Pigeon Camera

Bruce

philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 10/17/2012 06:15 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2012-10-17 14:12:15 -0700, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>>
>>> I just checked wiki and homing pigeons indeed were used by new agencies
>>> however it seems much prior to the 40's.
>>>
>>> anyway your answers are pretty tedious so I will not bother to read
>>> them any more

>> "Tony/Bruce's" pompous ass would have been far more impressed if the
>> pigeon was flying with a D4 strapped to its belly.
>> ...in 1904!!
>>

>I plonked that idiot

Like you said you did twice before, but you still got my messages?

>sheesh

I couldn't have put it better.

The definition of an idiot is someone who plonks down $400 for a nasty
piece of plastic called a Lytro then lamely admits that he cannot find
a use for it. Don't say you weren't warned.

philo

On 10/18/2012 09:58 AM, George Kerby wrote:

> On 10/17/12 9:05 PM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
> "Peter Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:09:37 +0100, Bruce
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Far more practical is a KittyCam because cats are
>> always snooping about - though their range is not
>> great.
>> http://gizmodo.com/5103278/uncle-mil...ghtning-review
>> http://www.phinneywood.com/2008/12/0...od-gets-on-tv/
>> http://www.perpetualkid.com/cat-and-...ew-camera.aspx

<snipped for brevity>

>> Day over.
>>

> You might find this more adventurous:
>
> <http://www.newson6.com/story/1487021...es-new-cat-cam
> s>

Interesting. It's funny but just last week I was wondering if I could
put a camera on my cat to see where he goes.
--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686

Bruce

>I guess I should have completed my thoughts before I pulled the
>trigger on my response.

It happens when the compulsion to bully people over-rides all else.

Bruce

>On 2012-10-18 08:59:50 -0700, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> I guess I should have completed my thoughts before I pulled the
>>> trigger on my response.

>> It happens when the compulsion to bully people over-rides all else.

>Again, accusation without evidence.

On the contrary, there is plenty of evidence.

There's a long trail of slime for a start.

Rob

On 18/10/2012 10:12 PM, Bruce wrote:
> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> "Tony/Bruce's" pompous ass would have been far more impressed if the
>> pigeon was flying with a D4 strapped to its belly.
>> ...in 1904!!

> Shouldn't you be posting in rec.photo.digital.bully?

or just pigeon holed

philo

On 10/18/2012 11:10 AM, Chemiker wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:09:37 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess back in the 40's or so, sportswriters would sometimes using homing
>>> pigeons to get their stories back to the paper after a sporting event

>> You guess wrong, because photographs were 'wired' back via agencies to
>> the newspaper offices from the 1920s. The technology was developed
>> over succeeding decades and became the basis for the ubiquitous fax
>> machine. Stories were wired via telegraph companies from the late
>> 19th century.
>>
>> Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera.

> Sorry, word is that pigeons were used in WW-II by war correspondents
> who had no access to other methods. IIRC, the movie The Longest Day
> had an amusing scene in which a correspondent attempted to use pigeons
> to send info back to England, and his pigeons flew east rather than
> west! He called them "traitors"......

I later realized the guy who wrote that was a troll
so he's now been plonked.
I realize it's a tough punishment but he deserved it.

philo

On 10/18/2012 10:21 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-10-18 04:15:21 -0700, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I plonked that idiot

>> Like you said you did twice before, but you still got my messages?

I use several news-servers so may not have kf'ed the guy on all of them

> Just like you KFed Alan Browne.
> ...and probably me.

Nope I only kill file idiots and you two don't fit the bill sorry

--

On 10/18/2012 04:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-10-18 14:46:47 -0700, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

<snip>

> You seem to have responded to both "Tony/Bruce" and me by mixing
> attributes.

There I've snipped out a lot and am sorry if I inadvertently re-posted
the ramblings of a troll.
--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686

Whisky-dave

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:06:30 AM UTC+1, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:09:37 +0100, Bruce
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>I guess back in the 40's or so, sportswriters would sometimes using homing

> >>pigeons to get their stories back to the paper after a sporting event

> >You guess wrong, because photographs were 'wired' back via agencies to

> >the newspaper offices from the 1920s. The technology was developed

> >over succeeding decades and became the basis for the ubiquitous fax

> >machine. Stories were wired via telegraph companies from the late

> >19th century.

> >Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera.

> Far more practical is a KittyCam because cats are
>
> always snooping about - though their range is not
>
> great.
>
> http://gizmodo.com/5103278/uncle-mil...ghtning-review
>
> http://www.phinneywood.com/2008/12/0...od-gets-on-tv/
>
> http://www.perpetualkid.com/cat-and-...ew-camera.aspx
>

> Cats have been spied on too. In one notorious
>
> example an owner installed a videocam pointed at
>
> the cat basket where the subject was sleeping, and
>
> the report went like this:
>

> 8.00am - 12.00noon: Cat asleep.
>
> 12.05pm Cat wakes, stretches, yawns and goes back
>
> to sleep.
>

> 6.00pm: Cat wakes, stretches, yawns and
>
> perambulates slowly towards and sits by the
>
> refrigerator.
>

> Day over.

Did a similar thing a few years back, but not attached to the cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2RL4FLHzBw&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHNeKgu1k34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUBgEZ5fteU

philo

On 10/19/2012 06:55 AM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
> Chemiker wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:09:37 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

<trolling snipped>

>>> Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera.

>> Sorry, word is that pigeons were used in WW-II by war correspondents
>> who had no access to other methods. IIRC, the movie The Longest Day
>> had an amusing scene in which a correspondent attempted to use pigeons
>> to send info back to England, and his pigeons flew east rather than
>> west! He called them "traitors"......

> Pigeons were used by SIS and some of the resistance groups in Europe
> during WW2.

Turns out the guy who claimed pigeons were not used was just trolling
--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686