Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

Mayayana

| You hit a sore spot with Vista. I have Vista Ultimate on my laptop, and
| have never had so many BSODs, except with WindowsME.
| One of my friends tried Win8 and PhotoShop kept crashing.

Not to worry. The BSOD is new and improved in Win8:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

Instead of showing a long error code (which is
unintelligible but can at least be looked up online),
Win8 shows a sad face "emoticon". Also, the blue
background color has been improved...
...You couldn't make this stuff up.

He went back
| to Win 7, which I am convinced is not as stable as XP.

PeterN

On 10/21/2012 1:41 AM, David Taylor wrote:
> On 21/10/2012 04:30, PeterN wrote:
> []
>> You hit a sore spot with Vista. I have Vista Ultimate on my laptop, and
>> have never had so many BSODs, except with WindowsME.
>>
>> One of my friends tried Win8 and PhotoShop kept crashing. He went back
>> to Win 7, which I am convinced is not as stable as XP.

> Your Vista experience is unfortunate, it's likely you had some bad
> 3rd-party drivers. The driver model was changed with Vista, and it took
> some time before some manufacturers' drivers were properly written -
> some still aren't hence the memory limits in the 32-bit versions of
> Windows (even 32-bit drivers should have handled 64-bit addresses, but a
> few didn't). Stability may not be improved when upgrading an existing
> XP installation to Vista rather than installing Vista from scratch. I've
> done both Win-7 and Win-8 installations on a freshly formatted HD.
>
> I have found Windows-7 as stable in general use as XP, and the Windows-8
> systems I'm using also seem very stable. I did add a "start-menu"
> program, though.
>
> http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
>
> Would prefer a Win-7 menu on Win-8.
>
> I agree with much of Mayayana's commentary.

My laptop, Lenovo, shipped with Vista and I upgrade regularly. In any
event my laptop is now in bad shape, needing a new keyboard, battery and
power brick. As I previously posted, I am waiting to see how the new
ultra lights will run PS. Otherwise I will simply replace what I have.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 10/21/2012 9:59 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> | You hit a sore spot with Vista. I have Vista Ultimate on my laptop, and
> | have never had so many BSODs, except with WindowsME.
> | One of my friends tried Win8 and PhotoShop kept crashing.
>
> Not to worry. The BSOD is new and improved in Win8:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death
>
> Instead of showing a long error code (which is
> unintelligible but can at least be looked up online),
> Win8 shows a sad face "emoticon". Also, the blue
> background color has been improved...
> ...You couldn't make this stuff up.
>

> He went back
> | to Win 7, which I am convinced is not as stable as XP.

No! You cannot.
Wen Microsoft first came out with a spam filter for Outlook, as a
straight download it filtered out, as spam, a message from Steve,
Balmer. My contacts at MS were amused, off the record.

--
Peter

Did i mention I hate the phone JBarleycorn C++ 1 07-25-2011 01:50 PM
Since when did $29.99 become standard msrp? Goro DVD Video 5 10-22-2005 06:44 AM
forgot to mention mglover ASP .Net 1 07-22-2004 10:39 PM
I forgot to mention... Joe777 ASP .Net 2 05-06-2004 05:26 PM
my swig stuff is wrong, but I can't figure out another way... Sam Roberts Ruby 2 04-14-2004 12:06 AM

Advertisments