Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

nospam

In article <k5nfc9$hk9$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mayayana
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> | having the same interface across mobile and desktop is actually an
> | interesting strategy. if it works, microsoft has a huge winner.
>
> What I was trying to explain is that it's not even
> the same system, much less the same interface.
> People aren't going to use Metro apps on PCs and
> they *can't* use Windows software on Surface.

they might do the former. you have no way to know what people
ultimately will do.

having a hybrid device that can be a tablet *and* a laptop has appeal
to a lot of people, and that's what microsoft is pushing.

there is obviously going to be some initial confusion but many people
are overstating it. it's in microsoft's best interest *not* to confuse
people.

> I can't imagine why you're championing a
> Microsoft product, but I look forward to your
> report on the pros and cons of your new, $500
> Hotmail gadget.

i'm not championing anything, nor do i plan on buying one, at least not
any time soon i do, however, plan on taking a look at it and seeing
what it can and can't do.

one thing is certain, it's a *lot* more than a $500 hotmail gadget.

PeterN

On 10/16/2012 5:24 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> it's a lot more than a blackberry playbook, but when have facts
>>> mattered in your idiotic rants.
>>>
>>> if you actually read the link you cited, you'd see they're comparing it
>>> to the ipad, except that it's less capable and at a similar price.

>> I'd wait and see about the "capability". It's all too easy to write MS
>> off these days - to presume that something like these are a last
>> desperate act by the condemned.

> microsoft is so far behind apple and google it's not funny. windows
> phone has yet to gain any traction (still low single digit market
> share), despite the hardware being fairly good.
>
> windows 8 has very little enthusiasm. most people don't care for the
> drastic changes. it may be a clever strategy to have the same os on
> both mobile and desktop, but it's also very risky. if win 8 turns out
> to be vista 2, microsoft is in deep trouble, more than they already
> are.
>
>> The "pro" version (not the one discussed above) has a 1920 x 1080
>> display, images show it with a wacom type stylus. Running W8, it could
>> be a pretty useful device for photographers

> maybe. it depends on the apps. developers are concentrating on ios and
> android, not windows 8.
>
>> - where ipad and android
>> tablets are only fancy mobile digital photo-frames.

> nonsense. they're much more than fancy photo frames.

Can you run PhotoShop CS6 on the iPad?

You cannot even use an iPad for downloading CF cards, culling them and
transferring to a portable HD. (According to the folks at Apple.)

--
Peter

PeterN

On 10/16/2012 7:28 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> | So Microscoft releases (essentially) a $199 Blackberry Playbook at
> | $499?? And the Blackberry tablet was a sales flop.
> |

> http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/16/tech/g...html?hpt=hp_t3
>
> The MS tablets will probably be a flop, too, but
> they're not Blackberry's. The whole thing hinges on
> Metro and MS online services. They want you to buy
> Metro apps that they get a cut on, "consume" media,
> get an MS email address, etc. At this point they have
> very little to offer, and a lot of people are going to
> be surprised when they find out that 1) they can't run
> Windows software and 2) the only software they can
> run is trinket apps from the Windows online store.
>
> Personally I think the prices are absurd, but there
> are millions of people paying similar to buy iPads.
> So there seems to be a ...tablet customer ... born
> every minute.

Both are really light weight, easily portable versions of the former
E-machines.

--
Peter

Mayayana

| Both are really light weight, easily portable versions of the former
| E-machines.

?? The only EMachine I know of is a cheap PC,
running Windows, with keyboard and mouse, and
consisting of a tin box that provides for general
hardware upgradability. (Though in a limited way.
Emachines used some proprietary parts, like a
very small power supply.)

A Microsoft Surface is a tablet that has a hard-wired
ARM-based OS and can't run Windows software.

Likewise, the Blackberry Playbook is a tablet with a
specialized OS that can't run Windows software.

I can't think of anything notable that either
has in common with Emachines. The only reason I
joined in here was to clear up the misunderstandings
about what MS Surface is. Have you actually
read any of this thread?

PeterN

On 10/18/2012 2:25 AM, jdanield wrote:
> Le 18/10/2012 02:18, Mort a écrit :
>

>> I stand corrected. As a non-Apple person, I occasionally use the wrong
>> word. Sorry.

> no problem, I do not own i-pad neither
>
> actually, most partitions are very large (much larger than usual paper
> sheet, so it's difficult to make photocopies, so even an i-pad is small
>
> jdd

IIRC Sheet music has been the same size since I played the horn. And
that was well before photocopiers were in general business use.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 10/18/2012 3:02 AM, Rich wrote:
> "Mayayana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:k5l7gq$gu8$1@dont-
> email.me:
>

>> It all ties in nicely with Microsoft and other companies who want to
>> create a computer universe (indeed, an entire multimedia universe)
>> where all media and media use is "rented" as a service and not owned.
>>>

>> Yes. That's partly why the prices seem so outlandish
>> to me. Not only is it a limited tool compared to a
>> [cheaper] PC. The whole point is to bring in income
>> from everything that people do with it. With that
>> strategy I would expect them to take a loss on the
>> hardware, counting on profits down the road. (30%
>> cut for all "apps" bought through their store, ad
>> income from Hotmail, etc. Not to mention a captive
>> audience that can be tracked more efficiently than
>> computer users can be.)
>>

> I think Amazon is claiming they make no money on Kindles. Maybe the
> colour ones.

It's the razor blade business. Similarly, Epsom makes little on its
printers, but does make a lot on the ink.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 10/20/2012 3:15 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> | Both are really light weight, easily portable versions of the former
> | E-machines.
> |

> ?? The only EMachine I know of is a cheap PC,
> running Windows, with keyboard and mouse, and
> consisting of a tin box that provides for general
> hardware upgradability. (Though in a limited way.
> Emachines used some proprietary parts, like a
> very small power supply.)
>
> A Microsoft Surface is a tablet that has a hard-wired
> ARM-based OS and can't run Windows software.
>
> Likewise, the Blackberry Playbook is a tablet with a
> specialized OS that can't run Windows software.
>
> I can't think of anything notable that either
> has in common with Emachines. The only reason I
> joined in here was to clear up the misunderstandings
> about what MS Surface is. Have you actually
> read any of this thread?

I was talking in terms of functionality for business use.
I was not talking about hardware.
And, before you get snarky, I know the hardware is different and has
decent graphics capability.

--
Peter

Mayayana

| I was talking in terms of functionality for business use.
| I was not talking about hardware.
| And, before you get snarky, I know the hardware is different and has
| decent graphics capability.

.... And the software is different.
.... And the CPU is different.
I don't mean to be "snarky", whatever that means.
But you're making a statement that's way out in left
field and at odds with what's gone before in this
discussion. There's nothing notable in common between
EMachines PCs and non-Windows tablets, for business
or otherwise. To say they're similar just serves to further
confuse an already confusing topic.
(A Surface runs "Windows RT", but that really isn't
Windows at all.)

nospam

In article <5082eff5$0$15594$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> - where ipad and android
> >> tablets are only fancy mobile digital photo-frames.

> > nonsense. they're much more than fancy photo frames.

> Can you run PhotoShop CS6 on the iPad?

no, but photoshop touch does, along with zillions of other photo
manipulation apps, all of which cost significantly less than photoshop
elements, nevermind photoshop cs6.

photoshop touch is $10. *ten* dollars! photoshop express is free.
apple's iphoto is $5. there's also apple's imovie, for $5 for those who
want to do video. most of the rest of the apps are a couple of bucks
and quite a few of them are completely free.

more importantly, photoshop cs6 is not designed for touch and it would
be an absolute disaster on a device that lacked a mouse/keyboard.

the fact you even asked if cs6 can run on an ipad shows just how little
you know about what an ipad can do.

the ipad is *not* a laptop replacement. why is this so hard for some
people to understand??

> You cannot even use an iPad for downloading CF cards, culling them and
> transferring to a portable HD. (According to the folks at Apple.)

bullshit. apple definitely says you can do that (other than the hard
drive part), and from any type of memory card too.

what you can't do is copy images to a portable hard drive, but why
would you even have a hard drive plugged into an pad in the first
place? it's a tablet! the mere thought is laughable.

if you want to copy images from cards to a hard drive, get something
that's designed to do exactly that, such as a portable storage device
with a card slot. there are several such devices, such as this one:

<http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...B-version-p/hd
u2-120.htm>

not only are they much smaller than any ipad (and will fit in any
pocket), but they cost less and best of all, they do that particular
task much better than a laptop or ipad could ever do. the downside is
that's about the only thing they do. they don't do much else.

in other words, get the best tool for the job.

Mayayana

| I don't mean to be "snarky", whatever that means.

I got curious and looked that up. Apparently it's
British slang. No wonder I didn't know it. I think that
I probably won't add it to my vocabulary, though.
It turns out to be one of those confusing words
that can mean just about anything. Like insidious,
which can mean crafty, treacherous, underhanded,
slow, or the way it's often used: less benign than
it seems. Unfortunately, there are a lot of words
like that. Their meaning is so vague that they're really
only useful among friends who agree on a single
meaning.

I found "snarky" defined as *any* of the following:
irritable, nagging, critical, witty, ironic, cynical, satirical,
sarcastic.

Not one of my favorite British words. But you people
have also given us the delightful "boffin", which more than
makes up for it.

Did i mention I hate the phone JBarleycorn C++ 1 07-25-2011 01:50 PM
Since when did $29.99 become standard msrp? Goro DVD Video 5 10-22-2005 06:44 AM
forgot to mention mglover ASP .Net 1 07-22-2004 10:39 PM
I forgot to mention... Joe777 ASP .Net 2 05-06-2004 05:26 PM
my swig stuff is wrong, but I can't figure out another way... Sam Roberts Ruby 2 04-14-2004 12:06 AM

Advertisments