Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 100% CPU problem

100% CPU problem

Enkidu

On 17/10/12 11:31, Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 16/10/2012 10:29 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
>
>> Hmm, did she have update to date AVG virus defs and the same for Spybot
>> and Malwarebytes? It's probably worth doing full scans too, (may default
>> to 'quick').
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff

> I ran Spybot and Malwarebytes in safe mode last night. Spybot found 128
> malicious objects, then Malwarebytes found nothing. I will check that
> their databases are up to date and do it again.
>
> When I rebooted in normal mode, and discovered the tick box that shows
> processes for all users (duh!) I saw that the CPU usage was still high,
> but the culprit was AVG (avgcsrvx.exe). After a while the usage dropped
> back to about 15%, which is understandable. I am now thinking that AVG
> was the problem, and that installing Malwarebytes created some conflict.
> When I suggested to my daughter that she do a scan with Malwarebytes I
> wasn't aware that by default she would install the program and it would
> stay there performing AV duties. Clearly it's asking for trouble to
> have two AV programs running at the same time.
>
> At the moment things seem to have settled down, although I do think AVG
> uses too many resources. I'm inclined to adopt a strategy of
> scan-on-demand.

I've removed AVG (for various reasons) and use the Microsoft Anti-virus.

Cheers,

Cliff

Gib Bogle

On 17/10/2012 12:46 p.m., Enkidu wrote:

> I've removed AVG (for various reasons) and use the Microsoft Anti-virus.

I no longer use it on my machines either. Time to get it off my
daughter's too, it seems.

Frank Williams

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:31:09 +1300, Gib Bogle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 16/10/2012 10:29 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
>
>> Hmm, did she have update to date AVG virus defs and the same for Spybot
>> and Malwarebytes? It's probably worth doing full scans too, (may default
>> to 'quick').
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff

>I ran Spybot and Malwarebytes in safe mode last night. Spybot found 128
>malicious objects, then Malwarebytes found nothing. I will check that
>their databases are up to date and do it again.
>
>When I rebooted in normal mode, and discovered the tick box that shows
>processes for all users (duh!) I saw that the CPU usage was still high,
>but the culprit was AVG (avgcsrvx.exe). After a while the usage dropped
>back to about 15%, which is understandable. I am now thinking that AVG
>was the problem, and that installing Malwarebytes created some conflict.
> When I suggested to my daughter that she do a scan with Malwarebytes I
>wasn't aware that by default she would install the program and it would
>stay there performing AV duties. Clearly it's asking for trouble to
>have two AV programs running at the same time.
>
>At the moment things seem to have settled down, although I do think AVG
>uses too many resources. I'm inclined to adopt a strategy of
>scan-on-demand.
>
>Thanks to all for your help
>Gib

No one in his right mind uses AVG, just use the Windows one and the Free
Comodo..

Gib Bogle

On 17/10/2012 3:33 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:

> No one in his right mind uses AVG

And what would you know about that?

JohnO

On Wednesday, 17 October 2012 13:40:05 UTC+13, Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 17/10/2012 12:46 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
>
> > I've removed AVG (for various reasons) and use the Microsoft Anti-virus.

> I no longer use it on my machines either. Time to get it off my
> daughter's too, it seems.

I have to say that I concur with you, Cliff and Woger all at the same time - could be a first!

AVG used to be the best option but now the MS one is much better and lighter on the system.

Enkidu

On 17/10/12 21:47, Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 17/10/2012 3:33 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>

>> No one in his right mind uses AVG

> And what would you know about that?

Well, Roger put it a bit strongly, but I've removed AVG from all
machines because of various issues (including a high CPU issue).

Cheers,

Cliff

Gib Bogle

On 18/10/2012 11:11 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
> On 17/10/12 21:47, Gib Bogle wrote:
>> On 17/10/2012 3:33 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>

>>> No one in his right mind uses AVG

>> And what would you know about that?
>>

> Well, Roger put it a bit strongly, but I've removed AVG from all
> machines because of various issues (including a high CPU issue).

Me too. My daughter has had it on her machine for years, and not
knowing much about these things she has just put up with its poor
performance (until recently). She may not be computer-savvy, but she is
certainly in her right mind.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 October 2012 13:40:05 UTC+13, Gib Bogle wrote:
>> On 17/10/2012 12:46 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
>>
>>> I've removed AVG (for various reasons) and use the Microsoft
>>> Anti-virus.

>> I no longer use it on my machines either. Time to get it off my
>> daughter's too, it seems.

> I have to say that I concur with you, Cliff and Woger all at the same
> time - could be a first!
>
> AVG used to be the best option but now the MS one is much better and
> lighter on the system.

I did the same - until there were issues with the MS one using 100% CPU a
few years back! Since then I've used Avast! with no trouble at all. Small
definitions downloads and nary a worry.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Dave Doe

In article <k5q5r0$h5i$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
~misfit~ says...

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

> >> I no longer use it on my machines either. Time to get it off my
> >> daughter's too, it seems.

> > I have to say that I concur with you, Cliff and Woger all at the same
> > time - could be a first!
> >
> > AVG used to be the best option but now the MS one is much better and
> > lighter on the system.

> I did the same - until there were issues with the MS one using 100% CPU a
> few years back! Since then I've used Avast! with no trouble at all. Small
> definitions downloads and nary a worry.

I think you'll find MSE's changed a lot since then - several new engines
have been released, not just definitions (which are pretty mucy daily).

What concerns me most about AVG and Avast, is their one year free
licensing mode. I gave up on Avast several years ago due to their
advertising popups, perhaps that's changed now. But AVG, well they sure
make it difficult to renew the *free* license (all the navigation seems
to point to upgrading to the paid for version) - and for many PC's I've
seen, users just can't do it, and end up just leaving it. Effectively,
as time passes, they have close to no protection at all.

MSE, OTOH, just works, and never expires.

--
Duncan.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <k5q5r0$h5i$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
> ~misfit~ says...
>>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

>>> I have to say that I concur with you, Cliff and Woger all at the
>>> same time - could be a first!
>>>
>>> AVG used to be the best option but now the MS one is much better and
>>> lighter on the system.

>> I did the same - until there were issues with the MS one using 100%
>> CPU a few years back! Since then I've used Avast! with no trouble at
>> all. Small definitions downloads and nary a worry.

> I think you'll find MSE's changed a lot since then - several new
> engines have been released, not just definitions (which are pretty
> mucy daily).

I figured it might have. Unfortunately for me one of the PCs that I was
running it on when it had the 100% CPU issue had very marginal CPU cooling
(temporarilly, but I wasn't doing 'heavy' computing on it anyway and was
saving up for a decent cooler). The machine squealed and turned itself off,
then sat there radiating heat - a couple of times as the problem was both
intermittent and not widely known about. I went crazy trying to track down
the problem (yes, that's what made me insane <g>) and, when I finally sorted
it swore off MSE. <shrug>

> What concerns me most about AVG and Avast, is their one year free
> licensing mode. I gave up on Avast several years ago due to their
> advertising popups, perhaps that's changed now. But AVG, well they
> sure make it difficult to renew the *free* license (all the
> navigation seems to point to upgrading to the paid for version) - and
> for many PC's I've seen, users just can't do it, and end up just
> leaving it. Effectively, as time passes, they have close to no
> protection at all.

Avast! isn't that difficult to renew the free licence - IMO anyone incapable
of doing it shouldn't really be using a PC. Yeah, the pop-up ads get a bit
annoying but they're not *too* intrusive, at least IMO.

I don't know about MSE but one of the things I like most about Avast! is
it's small updates - making it a viable option for folks on dial-up.