Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Battery question

Re: Battery question

OG

On 15/10/2012 22:50, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I'm looking at two digital camers, a Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR and a FinePix
> HS25EXR. Almost identical cameras with a few minor (to me anyway) differences.
> But the big one I'm trying to decide is 4 AA batteris in the FinePix HS25EXR
> versus am Li-ion battery in the FinePix HS30EXR. My first thought was that the
> AA batteries would be easy to replace when I needed them, especially if I was on
> the road. I can easily buy them. Camera supposedly gets 35o shots out of the
> batteries. The Li-ion supposedly gets 600 shots. But of course, it has to then
> be recharged, Any thoughts as to which power supply is the better? Thanks.

Most of my cameras have used AAs and they've never been a problem. I've
bought decent quality NiMh rechargeables and a recharger that can run
off 12v in the car, and never run out of power. On the other hand, when
I had a Fuji F610 that used a Li-ion battery I needed to spend £25 on a
spare one and hope I could get by with just 2 when we were travelling
away from 240v supplies.

Get Eneloop cells for your day to day use - they hold their charge for
months.

For absolute backup get some Lithium AAs and use them when every other
battery is flat.

Mort

OG wrote:
> On 15/10/2012 22:50, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I'm looking at two digital camers, a Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR and a
>> FinePix
>> HS25EXR. Almost identical cameras with a few minor (to me anyway)
>> differences.
>> But the big one I'm trying to decide is 4 AA batteris in the FinePix
>> HS25EXR
>> versus am Li-ion battery in the FinePix HS30EXR. My first thought was
>> that the
>> AA batteries would be easy to replace when I needed them, especially
>> if I was on
>> the road. I can easily buy them. Camera supposedly gets 35o shots out
>> of the
>> batteries. The Li-ion supposedly gets 600 shots. But of course, it has
>> to then
>> be recharged, Any thoughts as to which power supply is the better?
>> Thanks.
>>

> Most of my cameras have used AAs and they've never been a problem. I've
> bought decent quality NiMh rechargeables and a recharger that can run
> off 12v in the car, and never run out of power. On the other hand, when
> I had a Fuji F610 that used a Li-ion battery I needed to spend £25 on a
> spare one and hope I could get by with just 2 when we were travelling
> away from 240v supplies.
>
> Get Eneloop cells for your day to day use - they hold their charge for
> months.
>
> For absolute backup get some Lithium AAs and use them when every other
> battery is flat.

Hi,

I go with Li ion batteries. For use at home or nearby, I carry an extra
battery, in plastic, in my pocket. When going on a trip, I take 2 or 3
extras. I once went on a 7-day cruise with a new battery in my camera,
and two new batteries in my pocket, all OEM batteries. Well, after just
ten or twelve pictures, the in-camera battery was dead, and would not
take a charge. I put in a spare fully charged battery, and it was
defective and would not work. Thank goodness, I had a third battery,
which was fine for the entire trip. Needless to say, there was no shop
on board that sold Li ion batteries.

Mort Linder

David Taylor

On 16/10/2012 05:44, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
[]
> So you're not painting a very positive picture of Li-ion batteris?

No, he's not, and it's not what matches my experience. I gave up AA
cells as handling four cells rather one Li-ion battery is a lot more
inconvenient when you need to change batteries in the field. But most
modern cameras will get through at least a whole day with a single set
of AA cells or Li-ion battery.

When buying spare batteries, don't buy the cheapest "OEM battery" on
e-bay, but don't pay the full camera manufacturer's price either.

I have read that some Li-ion batteries need a couple of charge/discharge
cycles to reach full capacity, although I'm not sure how true that is.

Going on holiday with a new camera and untested cheap batteries is a
recipe for possible trouble - do try stuff out for a week beforehand if
possible, and get familiar with the camera controls! Run each battery
through a full cycle.

BTW: it's a pity that no "consumer champion" has not forced a
standardisation of Li-ion cells between manufacturers.
--
Cheers,
David

ASCII

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>So you're not painting a very positive picture of Li-ion batteris?

My first two Canons used 4xAA which I grew to like with the new formula
(low self discharge) NiMH. Then I got another one that uses a proprietary
Li-ion plus I also got a spare at purchase time. I've found that they perform
very well after an initial 'conditioning' cycle and rarely have to use the
backup when I'm out on a photo trip. I do like the idea of being able to find
AAs almost anywhere whereas my Li-ions are only available at photo stores for
quite a bit of expense. The charger is small enough to take wherever I go for
an extended stay as long as I don't forget to pack it.

jdanield

Le 16/10/2012 11:40, ASCII a écrit :

> AAs almost anywhere whereas my Li-ions are only available at photo stores for
> quite a bit of expense. The charger is small enough to take wherever I go for
> an extended stay as long as I don't forget to pack it.

li-ion from ebay works very well. In general li-ion keeps remarquably
the charge (several month), much better than usual AA batteries

jdd

ASCII

David Taylor wrote:

>I have read that some Li-ion batteries need a couple of charge/discharge
>cycles to reach full capacity, although I'm not sure how true that is.

That was my experience as well and they performed much better after a
'condition' cycle on the MAHA MH-C777plus. http://alturl.com/v9556

nospam

In article <k5iuiv$h9t$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > So you're not painting a very positive picture of Li-ion batteris?

> No, he's not, and it's not what matches my experience. I gave up AA
> cells as handling four cells rather one Li-ion battery is a lot more
> inconvenient when you need to change batteries in the field. But most
> modern cameras will get through at least a whole day with a single set
> of AA cells or Li-ion battery.

many can go much longer than a day. some cameras get 2000 or more
photos on a single charge. in typical use, that will last a long time.

> When buying spare batteries, don't buy the cheapest "OEM battery" on
> e-bay, but don't pay the full camera manufacturer's price either.

true, and beware of batteries on ebay. they might be ok, but they also
might not.

> I have read that some Li-ion batteries need a couple of charge/discharge
> cycles to reach full capacity, although I'm not sure how true that is.

it's bullshit.

what happens is that the device needs a couple of cycles to update its
calibration of the battery capacity so that it reports it accurately to
the user.

for the first couple of cycles, what it's saying is not necessarily
correct, so it may appear that the battery is gaining capacity, but it
really isn't.

> BTW: it's a pity that no "consumer champion" has not forced a
> standardisation of Li-ion cells between manufacturers.

it won't happen, since being tied to a specific size restricts what a
manufacturer can do.

OG

On 20/10/2012 00:09, Mark F wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:47:50 -0400, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> part:
>> OG wrote:

> The cameras will be made for the type of batteries that are
> recommended by the manufacturer, the shape of the discharge curve
> doesn't much matter to you. I your camera need 6, 5.8, ..., 4.8 or
> something else, it is because the designers of the camera made it to
> work with discharge curve of the batteries they want you to use.
>
> You can get many chemistries, both single use and rechargeable.
> You should be able to get good
>
> I'd go with what takes AA if the differences in the other features
> were a wash to me.
>
> One time use batteries would probably give somewhat more pictures
> compared to a single charge with rechargeables.

In general, this would only be the case for Lithium one-use cells, but
not Alkaline cells.