Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Your daily "table: how do I make the lines do this?" question

Re: Your daily "table: how do I make the lines do this?" question

Jukka K. Korpela

2012-10-15 19:36, Bob Greschke wrote:

> There really needs to be a posting delay.

People who want to post mindlessly would find a way to circumvent it.

> I didn't understand
> "sub-classing" things like

Don't worry, people didn't understand your question either.

Next time, consider posting a URL of your best effort so far, together
with a concise description of how it fails to meet the goal, and
minimize babbling. "Funny" Subject lines aren't.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Jukka K. Korpela

2012-10-15 21:57, Bob Greschke insulted:

> WOW! I've been posting to USENET since the data was passed around by
> modem.

It still is.

> I've rarely run into assholes like you over the decades,

Excellent. You have apparently lived in a parallel universe. Please
return to it.

> I got several email responses from people on a couple of continents that
> had no difficulty understanding what I was trying to do.

In the 90s, lusers used to write "lurkers support me!" on Usenet.

> Here is the restult:

How astonishing. A purported solution to an unspecified problem, except
that it is just a piece of CSS code.

> Too bad you can't go

Oh really?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Gene Wirchenko

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:57:11 -0600, Bob Greschke <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 2012-10-15 10:43:05 -0600, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

[snip]

>> Next time, consider posting a URL of your best effort so far, together
>> with a concise description of how it fails to meet the goal, and
>> minimize babbling. "Funny" Subject lines aren't.

>WOW! I've been posting to USENET since the data was passed around by
>modem. I've rarely run into assholes like you over the decades, but it
>is ALWAYS fun when I do. I guess you must just be a dumbass, because I

Mr. Korpela is one of the more helpful people in this newsgroup.
I appreciate his help. I do not appreciate your rudeness to him.

[snipped further rudeness]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Athel Cornish-Bowden

On 2012-10-15 22:30:13 +0000, Gene Wirchenko said:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:57:11 -0600, Bob Greschke <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2012-10-15 10:43:05 -0600, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> [snip]
>
>>> Next time, consider posting a URL of your best effort so far, together
>>> with a concise description of how it fails to meet the goal, and
>>> minimize babbling. "Funny" Subject lines aren't.

>> WOW! I've been posting to USENET since the data was passed around by
>> modem. I've rarely run into assholes like you over the decades, but it
>> is ALWAYS fun when I do. I guess you must just be a dumbass, because I

> Mr. Korpela is one of the more helpful people in this newsgroup.
> I appreciate his help.

True, but he's not too fond of idiots, and sometimes his helpfulness is
a bit hidden.

--
athel

Gene Wirchenko

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 22:21:35 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2012-10-15 22:30:13 +0000, Gene Wirchenko said:

[snip]

>> Mr. Korpela is one of the more helpful people in this newsgroup.
>> I appreciate his help.

>True, but he's not too fond of idiots, and sometimes his helpfulness is
>a bit hidden.

Why is not being fond of idiots a problem?

As to hidden, maybe, the OP is asking the wrong question. I see
this quite frequently.

Question-askers should read this:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
by Eric Steven Raymond

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Athel Cornish-Bowden

On 2012-10-18 02:22:33 +0200, Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 22:21:35 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 2012-10-15 22:30:13 +0000, Gene Wirchenko said:

> [snip]
>
>>> Mr. Korpela is one of the more helpful people in this newsgroup.
>>> I appreciate his help.

>> True, but he's not too fond of idiots, and sometimes his helpfulness is
>> a bit hidden.

> Why is not being fond of idiots a problem?

To me it isn't, but the idiots may find it a bit disconcerting.

--
athel