Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: simple string format question

Re: simple string format question

Dave Angel

On 10/15/2012 08:29 AM, Chris Rebert wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Neal Becker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is there a way to specify to format I want a floating point written with no more
>> than e.g., 2 digits after the decimal? I tried {:.2f}, but then I get all
>> floats written with 2 digits, even if they are 0:
>>
>> 2.35 << yes, that's what I want
>> 2.00 << no, I want just 2 or 2.

> Not that I can find. Seems you'll have to implement it yourself.

To do it yourself, probably best to use a temp string value, created by
format "{: f}". (Notice the space before the f, to reserve space for
the sign) Then, slice that value to length 4 . Finally, in your actual
format, use :5s for a format. This should add the blanks for padding,
so other columns still line up.

--

DaveA