Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How do the new mirrorless cameras take a picture?

How do the new mirrorless cameras take a picture?

Peabody

I mean - do they have a shutter, or is it all electronic?

What's the sequence of events to take a picture?

Paul Ciszek

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Peabody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I mean - do they have a shutter, or is it all electronic?
>
>What's the sequence of events to take a picture?

The OM-D has a mechanical shutter. I am unclear as to the role it
plays--when you use "anti-shock", the shutter opens and the camera
waits for a preset time before taking the picture, so that any
vibration induced by the motion of the shutter can die down. So,
the shutter can be open for (for example) 4 seconds before the
"exposure" starts.

I wish there was a way to close the shutter when changing lenses,
instead of leaving the sensor bare.

--
Money is Speech
Corporations are People

Don Wiss

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, Peabody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I mean - do they have a shutter, or is it all electronic?

Usually they have focal plane shutters. A few have leaf shutters. Just like
film cameras.

Don. www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).